DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Where to buy cheap pairs of jeans

Rave

Question

As per title. My jeans never last all that long however much they cost due to my habit of cycling everywhere in them, which inevitably either wears out the crotch area, or, less often, results in a spectacular arse tear while bending over or sitting down.

I used to buy Tesco Value jeans for £4 or so and be happly enough to get a year's wear out of them, but they stopped doing them years ago. My last few pairs have been from M&S, they were fine but no better in fit, looks or quality than the Tesco ones so I resent paying £15 or more for them. Primark jeans, like all their other trousers, seem to be designed for 'skinnyfat' people with spindly legs and a fat waist, which being a regular cyclist I obviously am not.

Suggestions welcome for when the shops reopen :) .

Edited by Rave

18 answers to this question

crashmonitor

Rave I used to be convinced I couldn't get into skinny jeans with my weighty legs ( only 30 inch waist mind) plus I was also conscious that size 11 shoes look bloody massive in anything other than boot fit... a' la 20201113_193615.thumb.jpg.fced897aa723e3e4f762967e891381a1.jpgMickey Mouse ( well they probably do). But heck I've embraced skinny fit ( they do stretch and you get used to them) I only wear skinny stretch now. My latest purchase £1.99 Charity Shop. ( tbf they are on the loose spectrum of skinny fit compared to my other jeans)

Oh Dear and Spunko once said old geezers shouldn't wear skinny jeans.

Edited by crashmonitor
  • Agree 1

Charity shops would be a good call were it not for the fact that I'm a pretty average size- 5'11, 34" waist and inside leg- and so in competition with all the other average sized people for the clothes. I never have much joy in the sales for the same reason.

I am also a former powerlifter and cycle an absolute minimum of 140 miles a week, often carrying a heavy backpack up a bunch of steep hills. My legs just won't go into anything skinny fit.

• Agree 1

If you want hard wearing jeans, why not try a workwear brand, like Dickies? I mean I wouldn't wear them to the pub, but their Boston jeans are really tough and £30, I usually get at least 3 years of daily wear out of them and even then I only replace them because they faded and looked old.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Frank Hovis

Matalan always used to do a decent range for pennies.

I haven't been there for a few years but I don't see why they would have stopped selling them.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Kurt Barlow
On 13/11/2020 at 14:21, Rave said:

As per title. My jeans never last all that long however much they cost due to my habit of cycling everywhere in them, which inevitably either wears out the crotch area, or, less often, results in a spectacular arse tear while bending over or sitting down.

I used to buy Tesco Value jeans for £4 or so and be happly enough to get a year's wear out of them, but they stopped doing them years ago. My last few pairs have been from M&S, they were fine but no better in fit, looks or quality than the Tesco ones so I resent paying £15 or more for them. Primark jeans, like all their other trousers, seem to be designed for 'skinnyfat' people with spindly legs and a fat waist, which being a regular cyclist I obviously am not.

Suggestions welcome for when the shops reopen :) .

Tescos do good jeans and the material is quite stretchy which I find makes them more comfortable. 

• Informative 1
longtomsilver

I've bought 4 pairs of SuperDry jeans, 3 from their on-line store for £31.5 then I found out they're selling on the Ebay shop for £24 and bought a pair from there to average down lol

They're not all the same quality however and *one pair is being sent back but the others are excellent quality including the one from ebay. Daman 04 straight cut. 

*that one pair likely came from a different outsourcer using the same template but using different stitching methods, materials (they were stretchy) and the zipper was off the shelf and not orange like the others. 

• Informative 2
Bricks & Mortar

May I suggest your jeans don't last long because you buy value items costing four quid?
I'm a builder, and mine don't stay good looking for long.   For a while, I also bought the value items, and measured their life in weeks.  I'd say 3-6 would be average for a work pair (worn about 1/3 of the time in that period, cos there's always a couple pairs in the wash / ready to wear).
I moved to buying wrangler and levi on ebay.  Sometimes seconds, sometimes even used (I look for items that haven't been worn much, but maybe got an oil stain, fag burn, or the bottom hem worn out cos the guy was a shortarse, etc).  I get 6-12 months out of them now, in place of a few weeks out the value ones.  It's worth it in cash terms alone.  And that's before you quantify the lost wages from having to knock off in the middle of the day cos you ripped a pair in half as you climbed out a trench or whatever.

I have to take what i can get on ebay though, sometimes end up with other brands.  Wrangler & Levi do seem to last longest out of anything I've had.

Its just better quality denim.

Edited by Bricks & Mortar
  • Agree 3
Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

1990s Diesels were good, best pair of jeans I ever had.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Mr Miyagi
50 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

May I suggest your jeans don't last long because you buy value items costing four quid?
I'm a builder, and mine don't stay good looking for long.   For a while, I also bought the value items, and measured their life in weeks.  I'd say 3-6 would be average for a work pair (worn about 1/3 of the time in that period, cos there's always a couple pairs in the wash / ready to wear).
I moved to buying wrangler and levi on ebay.  Sometimes seconds, sometimes even used (I look for items that haven't been worn much, but maybe got an oil stain, fag burn, or the bottom hem worn out cos the guy was a shortarse, etc).  I get 6-12 months out of them now, in place of a few weeks out the value ones.  It's worth it in cash terms alone.  And that's before you quantify the lost wages from having to knock off in the middle of the day cos you ripped a pair in half as you climbed out a trench or whatever.

I have to take what i can get on ebay though, sometimes end up with other brands.  Wrangler & Levi do seem to last longest out of anything I've had.

I've been wearing Wranglers for the last 3 years and I have to say they are they are very comfortable and well fitting  jeans. I usually go for Texas stretch .you can pick really decent 2nd hand pairs on ebay for not much. Last two pairs I got were £16 and £20 and in really good condition.  

• Informative 1
Dogtania

agree you shouldn't write off slim jeans if they have lot's of stretch.  I have a few pairs of normal jeans but can't ever bring myself to wear after going down the slim/ stretch - so comfy, no moon cracks showing bending down etc.  I even wear stretchable belts now too so less constrictive.  Definitely not skinny milinky long legs here either

Dogtania
On 14/11/2020 at 03:21, MrPin said:

TkMaxx. It's a bit variable what's in stock.

never found anything other than average length there...ie 32"/32" common didn't ever see a 30" leg so have never bothered looking since.   I enjoy the rest of the jumble sale though.

8 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

never found anything other than average length there...ie 32"/32" common didn't ever see a 30" leg so have never bothered looking since.   I enjoy the rest of the jumble sale though.

It doesn't matter if they are slightly too long. But you look like a plonker if they are not long enough.

Dogtania
Just now, MrPin said:

It doesn't matter if they are slightly too long. But you look like a plonker if they are not long enough.

ah true...guessing your average to taller and not under height, in that case, as it has never cropped up personally...32" all too long and you get muddy tatty ends and towards the extreme verging on clown or 1990's rapstar.

Of course maybe ska or skinheads the exception but that's only my vague memory mainly informed by movies probably.   Certainly IMO the very fashionable wearing nowadays look like plonkers

New Summer 2016 Mens Jeans Pant Thin Skinny Denim Ankle-Length Pants For  Boys Rivet Design Hipster Korean S… | Hipster jeans, Mens pants fashion,  Mens fashion jeans

Dogtania
2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'm not particularly big @Dogtania. 1.81m. I can buy jackets straight off the shelves, but the trousers never fit, as I am not wide enough

honestly I'm a bit surprised by those dimension these days having an issue...try to shop for young person jeans...not super skinny but slim or skinny ish.  The older stuff made for average brickies, probably too big but times are different now and could be to your advantage.

btw I see a short (around my height 5.7 ish ) youngish rugby player at work - he's naturally quite dumpy or old school rugby frame - he started wearing skinny jeans a while back look a bit weird to me with his massive thighs but thats the kind of jeans out there now....just buy a load online and if none fit just return the lot.