DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

It's an offence

5 minutes ago, Stuey said:

We were taught this at school I think

Imagine that now o.O

They probably think the last man to be hung was centuries ago and for using the dastardly word niggardly.

:)

Bentley wasn't the last man to be hanged in the UK, that dubious honour fell jointly to Gwynne Evans and Peter Allen on the 13th of August 1964. Bentley was hanged in 1953.

Hanging was abolished 15 months after Evans and Allen were executed...

XYY

1 hour ago, Stuey said:

Sure this has been done in court.

Wasn't it the last bloke to be hung, who shouted Shoot? /Memory

Bentley's accomplice, a minor, had a gun. Bentley apparently said "let him have it", in court saying he meant to hand over the gun. The accomplice then shot and killed the officer.

They hung Bentley as the other lad was too young.

13 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Niggardly and mastication are my two favourite words at work.

Good job you never used the word pedagogical

"As director of communications I was asked to prepare a memo reviewing our company's training programs and materials. In the body of the memo one of the sentences mentioned the "pedagogical approach" used by one of the training manuals. The day after I routed the memo to the executive committee, I was called into the HR director's office and told that the executive vice president wanted me out of the building by lunch. When I asked why, I was told that she wouldn't stand for "perverts" working in her company. Finally he showed me her copy of the memo, with her demand that I be fired, and the word "pedagogical" circled in red. 

The HR manager was fairly reasonable and once he looked the word up in his dictionary, and made a copy of the definition to send back to her, he told me not to worry. He would take care of it. 

Two days later a memo to the entire staff came out, directing us that no words which could not be found in the local Sunday newspaper could be used in company memos. A month later, I resigned. In accordance with company policy, I created my resignation memo by pasting words together from the Sunday paper."