Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Dosbods Island Discs


Recommended Posts

Following on from SirLord Darth Vader Kier's carefully select tunes - 

  • Dobie Gray

    Out on the Floor

    • OUT ON THE FLOOR WITH THE IN CROWD. 
    • DEMON MUSIC GROUP LTD. 
    • 2.
  •  
    p065ztr1.jpg

    Ludwig van Beethoven

    Symphony No. 6 in F major, op. 68 "Pastoral" (5th) Movement

    Conductor: Herbert von Karajan. Orchestra: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra.
    • KARAJAN BEETHOVEN: SYMPHONIES NOS. 5, 6 & 9 BERLIN PHILHARMONIKER. 
    • DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON. 
    • 9.
  •  
    p05c3ly8.jpg

    Jim Reeves

    Welcome To My World

    • THE VERY BEST OF JIM REEVES. 
    • RCA RECORDS. 
    • 20.
  •  
    p01bqr7r.jpg

    Orange Juice

    Falling and Laughing

    • YOU CAN'T HIDE YOUR LOVE FOREVER. 
    • SETANTA RECORDS LIMITED. 
    • 1.
  •  
    p061zd9y.jpg

    Edwin Hawkins Singers

    Oh Happy Day

    • THE EDWIN HAWKINS SINGERS: GREATEST HITS. 
    • SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT UK LTD. 
    • 1.
  •  
    p01c9cjb.png

    Baddiel, Skinner & The Lightning Seeds

    Three Lions

    • THREE LIONS '98. 
    • SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT UK LTD. 
    • 3.
  •  
    p065ztr1.jpg

    Ludwig van Beethoven

    Piano Concerto No.5, 2nd movement, Adagio un pocco mosso

    Performer: Jean-Efflam Bavouzet. Director: Jean-Efflam Bavouzet. Orchestra: Swedish Chamber Orchestra.
    • BEETHOVEN: THE PIANO CONCERTOS. 
    • CHANDOS. 
    • 1.
  •  
    p056ks4z.jpg

    Artists for Grenfell

    Bridge Over Troubled Water

    • SYCO MUSIC.

    Lord Darth

    I'll give him DobieGray. Fantastic tune. Great choice by his adviser.

    Artists for Grenfell can fuck off.

     

    My eight:

    Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones.

    Waiting for the man - Velvet Underground.

    I wanna be a dog - The Stooges.

    When the levee breads - ledzep.

    Gone shooting acdc

    What's next to the moon acdc

    Touch too much acdc

    Heartland - Som

     

     

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s my selection from that old thread......

It's a gloomy bank holiday here with showers and nothing on today so I've passed some time making my desert island disc selections:-

As per the rules I'll be given the entire works of Shakespeare which would give me a lot of reading material as I've only read snippets.

I would ask to substitute the bible with a Tibetan Prajnaparamita collection of sutras know mainly for their development of sunyata (emptiness and voidness) as I think I'd find that more interesting as a meditator and fan of Buddhist philosophy

 

My choice of book was easy:- Alfred's Teach Yourself to Play Piano to link with my luxury item choice.

My luxury item would be a piano. Can't play but would love to and learning would pass the time......years as my current level is playing a few bars of three blind mice xD

 

Choosing 8 songs/tunes was very very difficult but I decided on the following as I have never tired of any of them:-

1. Adagio for Strings - Samuel Barbour because I find it beautiful and relaxing.

2. Piano Concerto No. 2 Adagio Sostenuto -  Rachmaninov for same reason as above.

3. Suite No. 2 Romeo & Juliet Montagues and Capulets - Prokofiev because for me it's rousing and motivating.

4. Storm - Vivaldi for same reason as No. 3

5. Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty to sing and dance along to and love the saxophone solo in it.

6. Urgent - Foreigner for same reason as No. 5

7. Singing in the Rain - Gene Kelly because I like singing it and find it cheers me up when down

8. That's Life - Frank Sinatra for same reason as No. 7

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Here’s my selection from that old thread......

 

It's a gloomy bank holiday here with showers and nothing on today so I've passed some time making my desert island disc selections:-

As per the rules I'll be given the entire works of Shakespeare which would give me a lot of reading material as I've only read snippets.

I would ask to substitute the bible with a Tibetan Prajnaparamita collection of sutras know mainly for their development of sunyata (emptiness and voidness) as I think I'd find that more interesting as a meditator and fan of Buddhist philosophy

 

My choice of book was easy:- Alfred's Teach Yourself to Play Piano to link with my luxury item choice.

My luxury item would be a piano. Can't play but would love to and learning would pass the time......years as my current level is playing a few bars of three blind mice xD

 

Choosing 8 songs/tunes was very very difficult but I decided on the following as I have never tired of any of them:-

1. Adagio for Strings - Samuel Barbour because I find it beautiful and relaxing.

2. Piano Concerto No. 2 Adagio Sostenuto -  Rachmaninov for same reason as above.

3. Suite No. 2 Romeo & Juliet Montagues and Capulets - Prokofiev because for me it's rousing and motivating.

4. Storm - Vivaldi for same reason as No. 3

5. Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty to sing and dance along to and love the saxophone solo in it.

6. Urgent - Foreigner for same reason as No. 5

7. Singing in the Rain - Gene Kelly because I like singing it and find it cheers me up when down

8. That's Life - Frank Sinatra for same reason as No. 7

Didnt know there was an existing thread!

Maybe needs changing to - 8 cynical songs, chosen by a focus group....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

This is why I love this forum. Thank you Mr Pin. The Snivelling Shits 'Crossroads' and 'Isgodaman?'- two classics from 1977.

I have eclectic taste in music, I'll have you know. I also like the Carpenters, and The Cramps, and Rachmaninov.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

The Cinema Show - Genesis

Aja - Steely Dan

Out of the Blue - Roxy Music

Tarkus - Emeron Lake & Palmer

Vivaldi - Curved Air

Bit of a seventies theme going on there.

^ will probably change slightly come next weekend. :D

Good. I went to see Curved Air once. There was a lady with a violin. How mad is that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are my eight (plus the book and luxury item):

Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer

Leonard Cohen - Dance Me To The End of Love

Susanna Hoffs - Eternal Flame

Bob Dylan - Mamma, You've Been on my Mind

Neil Diamond - Forever in Blue Jeans

George Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue

Felix Mendelssohn - Symphony number 2

Gustav Mahler - Symphony number 5

Book - Marcel Proust - À la recherche du temps perdu - In the original French to give me something extra to think about

Luxury item - Uzi 9mm to keep the pirates at bay if necessary

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are my eight (plus the book and luxury item):

Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer

Leonard Cohen - Dance Me To The End of Love

Susanna Hoffs - Eternal Flame

Bob Dylan - Mamma, You've Been on my Mind

Neil Diamond - Forever in Blue Jeans

George Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue

Felix Mendelssohn - Symphony number 2

Gustav Mahler - Symphony number 5

Book - Marcel Proust - À la recherche du temps perdu - In the original French to give me something extra to think about

Luxury item - Uzi 9mm to keep the pirates at bay if necessary

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know how many tunes you have to pick for you desert island , but the worst thing would be picking say a 2 minute punk tune from the seventies, if the few records you have is that , it would get very boring very quick

 I would have vaughan williams five variants, the finest piece of music ever written, i could listen to that on a loop till the end of my natural life

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MrPin said:

I have eclectic taste in music, I'll have you know. I also like the Carpenters, and The Cramps, and Rachmaninov.

Well I’m listening to candalmas and type o negative tonight .im not sure which is the most depressing .i can switch to Wagner who if alive today would be into heavy rock but rock music is notoriously not violent would going down the path of likening his stuff lead me to want to invade other country’s is the question 

Edited by stokiescum
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Well I’m listening to candalmas and type o negative tonight .im not sure which is the most depressing .i can switch to Wagner who if alive today would be into heavy rock but rock music is notoriously not violent would going down the path of likening his stuff lead me to want to invade other country’s is the question 

Probably not (the invading point). IIRC Wagner felt that German purity was best served by unifying Greater Germany and then putting the walls up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Probably not (the invading point). IIRC Wagner felt that German purity was best served by unifying Greater Germany and then putting the walls up. 

I blame the french for uniting Germany they had to band together to beat Napoleon ok we helped a bit ok we helped a lot always makes me smile when I read the hobby’s of one of the main guys killing Frenchmen ps he sounds like me dig out offas dyke a fill it with sharks rebuild Adrian’s wall with 5 miles of land mines .mine the English camel .then use the river Trent has a cut off point I’m not sure the south is worth anaxing 

Edited by stokiescum
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I blame the french for uniting Germany they had to band together to beat Napoleon ok we helped a bit ok we helped a lot always makes me smile when I read the hobby’s of one of the main guys killing Frenchmen 

And there was me blaming Bismarck! I’m sure you’re right though, I know fuck all about that bit of history, just the tiny bit I’ve learned as a side effect of reading biographies of Wagner, Nietzsche and some others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

And there was me blaming Bismarck! I’m sure you’re right though, I know fuck all about that bit of history, just the tiny bit I’ve learned as a side effect of reading biographies of Wagner, Nietzsche and some others.

I’m pissed and off to bed in a sec but isn’t the secand guy the dude that said what does not kill us makes us stronger

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...