DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Turnip Prize 2020: Finalists for spoof art award unveiled

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-54959423

A padlock on a bed of duck feathers and a pile of fur are among the finalists of a spoof art competition that pokes fun at the Turner Prize.

Lockdown and Fur Load are two of the six finalists of 2020's Turnip Prize.

The award, organised by a Somerset pub, is given to the person who has "created something they perceive to be crap art using the least amount of effort possible".

This one's my favourite.

Can you guess what this work is called?

Turnip Prize entry, A Brush with Death

A brush with death

22 minutes ago, DTMark said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-54959423

A padlock on a bed of duck feathers and a pile of fur are among the finalists of a spoof art competition that pokes fun at the Turner Prize.

Lockdown and Fur Load are two of the six finalists of 2020's Turnip Prize.

The award, organised by a Somerset pub, is given to the person who has "created something they perceive to be crap art using the least amount of effort possible".

This one's my favourite.

Can you guess what this work is called?

Turnip Prize entry, A Brush with Death

Hide contents

A brush with death

Brilliant! Quite clever! 👏

And I say that as the mother of a wanna be (real) artist. (She paints a bit.)

This sort of edgy thing was all the rage (and taken very seriously) at her art school a few years ago.  (Video installations, performance art, a dead insect on a piece of blank paper etc.) So daughter was really worried (at the time) that she would be marked down for being too traditional/mainstream.

Luckily she survived and got out with a decent degree without having to paint poo on a donkey or doing something totally random/different like that! (As that really wasn't her art style!)

14 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

It's just a pile of bricks... Anyone could do that. 

Yeah, but anyone didn't. And anyone didn't get paid handsomely for doing it. 

The "ART" if you like, and the joke was getting it displayed in a big gallery.

A lot of modern art is just trolling. The artist is trolling their customers, the galleries and critics. The critics are trolling the public. The customers are trolling their mates by dropping fortunes on this stuff.

Getting paid handsomely for messing around seems like a good life. Fair play to the artists. If you can pebbledash a toilet, call it 'vindaloo' and get someone to pay you very good money for doing so then congratulations. Better than doing 12 hours a week at Asda for the tax credits.

1 minute ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

A lot of modern art is just trolling. The artist is trolling their customers, the galleries and critics. The critics are trolling the public. The customers are trolling their mates by dropping fortunes on this stuff.

Getting paid handsomely for messing around seems like a good life. Fair play to the artists. If you can pebbledash a toilet, call it 'vindaloo' and get someone to pay you very good money for doing so then congratulations. Better than doing 12 hours a week at Asda for the tax credits.

Perhaps someone in the arts crowd could come up with a competition 'dripping with irony' where they identify clever arts competitions that use irony to identify art that is designed to ironically mimic real art, but in an ironical way, and that ends up just looking exactly like the art competitions they're lampooning.

The competition could even enter itself as 'a competition about stupid arts competitions' into its own competition.  

They'd probably win.

Say what you like about his politics but I do like Banksy's art.

Always liked things that are actually making a point. Like the famous Magritte painting of a (smoking) pipe with "This is not a pipe" written under it.

8 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Say what you like about his politics but I do like Banksy's art.

Always liked things that are actually making a point. Like the famous Magritte painting of a (smoking) pipe with "This is not a pipe" written under it.

I would, once again, inflate my own ego by showing you the random picture I took.

Magritte's picture was what I had in mind. Also he's a good answer in a pub quiz, when looking for "famous Belgians"

Magritte_Clock 005.JPG