DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Tefal non-stick pan

10 months ago I bought a Tefal non-stick wok/frying pan for about £15.  I oiled it up before use as instructed by Tefal.  I've never used metal implements with it, it hasn't been in the oven and I keep an old frying pan for very high heat cooking (e.g. burgers).  Despite all this the non-stick coating is coming off already, which leads me to believe they're shite. 

There appears to be 3 options for replacement 1) A different brand non-stick 2) Cast-iron 3) Stainless steel

I understand the latter 2 need a bit more care, can be trickier to cook with and take more oil whilst cooking.  That doesn't put me off and I'd be quite happy to shell out decent money on a 'forever pan'.

Can anyone recommend a quality pan which will last a lifetime (or at least longer than 10 months)?

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

10 months ago I bought a Tefal non-stick wok/frying pan for about £15.  I oiled it up before use as instructed by Tefal.  I've never used metal implements with it, it hasn't been in the oven and I keep an old frying pan for very high heat cooking (e.g. burgers).  Despite all this the non-stick coating is coming off already, which leads me to believe they're shite. 

There appears to be 3 options for replacement 1) A different brand non-stick 2) Cast-iron 3) Stainless steel

I understand the latter 2 need a bit more care, can be trickier to cook with and take more oil whilst cooking.  That doesn't put me off and I'd be quite happy to shell out decent money on a 'forever pan'.

Can anyone recommend a quality pan which will last a lifetime (or at least longer than 10 months)?

Could be me but I've found stainless frying pan almost useless for frying no matter how I try and season it.

No doubt there's good quality teflon and there's the rest with most being in the rest category.

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Never had an issue with Tefal pans, got three on the go currently, a wok style, small and large. Certainly had them a couple of years if not longer, the were replacement of previous Tefal frying pans that had seen better days but were still non-stick.

Long story but ended up with three frying pans instead of one after my tesco click and collect went wrong. I found each one lasted a good 8 or 9 months, then chuck it out and start a fresh one. They were only three quid each. 

I do have a tefal one that I have had for at least five years and it is fine, but I rarely use it and it never goes in the dishwasher.

I have a couple of cast iron ones which I use mainly. 

Getting them properly seasoned is a trick (thinnest layer of oil possible, multiple times), but once done they are ace. Wouldn't have anything else now.

They are also a lot more versatile, use them in the oven, bake with them et cetera.

Got mine from Nisbets.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

This

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012525PA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

expensive but will last a lifetime. It can go in the oven, is incredibly forgiving and easy to maintain. Just don’t wash it. 

If that lasts I'd pay it.

Past few years I've been spending 20 or 30 on different ones (Tefal too I think) and they never last.

29 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Having read too many reviews of Tefals falling rapidly apart I now opt for the cheap options from Sainsbury's or Tescos. If you time it right you can get bargains. I find them very good but, not paying much for them, I am not that worried if they did.

They won't last a lifetime but you probably do not want that anyway. I don't think quality exists anymore in most goods that are now manufactured in China. The brands are not what they were.

I refuse to use non-stick now I have discovered oiled/seasoned carbon steel.

Always wondered about eating all that scratched & shed Teflon as well.

Get commercial chef pans as below.

Other shapes and sizes are available.

Edit:- all their stuff is British (English) made.

image.php?filename=l0603.jpg&stockcode=L

https://www.samuelgroves.com/Products/Black-Iron-Cookware

Edited by Chewing Grass
31 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I've tried the carbon steel pan route, and unless you're using it exclusively for frying meat and some limited veg stuff* in oil at high temps then it really isn't worth the effort. 

(* nothing like tomatoes as the acid removes the non-stick layer of polymerised oil that you've spent ages building up)

No such thing as a lifetime non-stick pan: they're all disposable after a max of about 2 years for the better ones, I would say. One of the better one's I've tried was a Prestige ceramic/stone one, it had a black coating with tiny white speckles on. Don't buy the ones with a sort of honeycomb pattern on the cooking surface - shit idea that food gets stuck in. And don;t ever put them in the dishwasher, as this knackers them in double quick time :)

8 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Having read too many reviews of Tefals falling rapidly apart I now opt for the cheap options from Sainsbury's or Tescos. If you time it right you can get bargains. I find them very good but, not paying much for them, I am not that worried if they did.

They won't last a lifetime but you probably do not want that anyway. I don't think quality exists anymore in most goods that are now manufactured in China. The brands are not what they were.

Sainsbury's quite good value like you say.  There steel pans may not last a lifetime but decent quality, I'd assume it's similar with there other ranges, cast iron etc.

On that note the Tesco range of cutlery (alleso?) is superb quality.

18 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Getting them properly seasoned is a trick (thinnest layer of oil possible, multiple times), but once done they are ace.

Yes, really thin layers, almost like it looks like nothing on the surface (wiped off with a paper towel) and then put on very high heat, repeat a few times until you get a hard varnish-like layer of polymerisation. Some oils are better than others, but I forget which are the best. Linseed oil apparently the best, but I don't think you can use the stuff from DIY stores as likely contaminated and not safe for consumption. Rapeseed oil reasonably good, but not so much sunflower or olive oil, IIRC.  

28 minutes ago, Napoleon Dynamite said:

If that lasts I'd pay it.

Past few years I've been spending 20 or 30 on different ones (Tefal too I think) and they never last.

I had one as a wedding present 30 years ago.  Sadly, i lost custody of it and so bought a new one.  Old one was still going strong.  Read up on how to condition it. It comes conditioned but....   

if it gets really dirty, then i pour boiling water into it and rinse. Never, ever washing up liquid. 

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

Did you put it in the dishwasher?