DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Broadband alternatives

4 minutes ago, montecristo said:

I use wireless broadband as I live rural and wired broadband doesn't exist.  Dish on the gable wall pointed at a mast on a mountain.  40mb download and unlimited for £35 a month.

Who do you use and where (specifically) are you located?

5 minutes ago, montecristo said:

I use wireless broadband as I live rural and wired broadband doesn't exist.  Dish on the gable wall pointed at a mast on a mountain.  40mb download and unlimited for £35 a month.

My dad is in rural NI and moved to this after years of brutally slow broadband. 

EE 4g WiFi. Data only SIM plugged into a special router. Works very well apparently. He got a small mast fitted too which helps with the signal. 

Gets 23 Mbps download which apparently is very decent. 

And this is in an area where all around people have difficulty getting just a basic mobile signal for their phone. 

Just now, montecristo said:

I live in NI but google WiFibre and your own area to see if it is available.  You need line of sight to the mast.

I think that's the problem with my place in Cork.

According to the suppliers down there it's limited to no coverage. Problem is the contracts are prohibitively expensive if the service wasn't as advertised. I'd be happy to pay the going rate for the right service.

Just now, gilf said:

I think that's the problem with my place in Cork.

According to the suppliers down there it's limited to no coverage. Problem is the contracts are prohibitively expensive if the service wasn't as advertised. I'd be happy to pay the going rate for the right service.

wifibre masts are located in towns on top of high building as well as hills/mountains.  I take it you have tried https://www.ivertec.ie/

22 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Anyone ever tried a broadband solution that DOESN'T involve having a cable into the house? 

Maybe a 4G myfi box, or satellite connection? 

Any advice what I should look for?

I have a mifi box and it's faster than my normal home broadband. It can be expensive though depending on the provider.

3 were doing a 1 month contract 4G+ PAYG mifi box for £39.99 with SIM with 1GB pre loaded credit. The box is unlocked so you can shop around for the best deal and coverage.

The also have a 4G hub available on a one month contract for £49 for the kit and £30 for the data ( don't know how much data is included.

The best bet is to get 10 of your neighbours to club together and opt for the Openreach superfast internet grant thing. We've done it round my way, now waiting for an install date. It doesn't cost much extra per month, to get up to 1Gb/s.

At the risk of sounding like a BOOMER it also apparently adds some value to your house price.

3 minutes ago, montecristo said:

wifibre masts are located in towns on top of high building as well as hills/mountains.  I take it you have tried https://www.ivertec.ie/

Thanks for that, I've submitted a request so see what comes of that.

I tried a few that have signs up locally, but no joy. Seems we are in a bit of a black spot, although not really sure why.

I'm not currently living there full time but that is the plan and with the way jobs are these so moving over full time is a bit more likely to be sooner rather than later than it might have been, if I had internet access.

The area was due to get broadband this year or so, but I suspect with the whole Covid thing that's been put on the long finger. It got as far as the closest village, but that's a mile or so away.

We’re currently expanding our service to North Cork and will offer up to 100 Mbps wireless broadband to approximately 10,000 properties in the region. Our wireless service WiFibre will go live on April 1st in the following areas; Millstreet, Knocknagree, Ballydesmond, Rathcool, Lyre, Banteer, Kanturk, Newmarket, Boherbue, and Kiskeam.

I'm actually in Rathcool (or just outside), so fingers crossed.

BT doesn't want to run fibre to here presumably because it is out of the way and it would be a spur to about 5 houses which wouldn't pay enough. We get 12mbps down via cable unless it's raining or tractors or lorries have crushed the conduit a couple of inches below the surface of the road verge. BT are offering some sort of deal involving a 4G modem which kicks in when the cable plays up.

Last time the roadside cable got really messed up and it took BT 3 months to repair it I used a giffgaff sim which allows tethering. IIRC it's £25 / month for unlimited data, but you only get the first 10GB at about 40Mbps,then it goes down to a lower speed that does low res streaming ok, but that's it.

Isn't Elon Musk going to beam free internet to the world from those satellites? From what I can make out of the 5G coverage maps, there is barely any outside a few cities. Isn't that an integral part of the fourth industrial revolution and the internet of things, or are globalists that crap at tech and infrastructure projects and will never actually realise their nefarious goals?

58 minutes ago, reformed nice guy said:

Satellite doesnt need a cable, its upload and download

Back in the day it was one way (like receiving satellite tv) but I suppose now it's more like a satellite phone so two way and guess the costs have reduced enough to not make it too expensive an option for those out in the sticks that otherwise have to rely on patchy mobile phone signals.

When moving house, so waiting for the phone line to be sorted out, I've used a Three mifi dongle to get online and it was pretty reliable, even used it for remote desktop to a client without any aggro.

So check samknows for the local telephone exchange services on offer for broadband/fibre over phone line, check mobile phone signal coverage maps for your area for the major players to see if 3g/4g/5g possible/likely, then check for exotic services and costs that those already living in the locality may have sorted out that you can club in with, or go your own way with satellite broadband if can find someone to install it, seems some companies (according to google) are offering uk wide coverage from £25/month.

If none of those offer much, then move somewhere else if getting online is that important!

2 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

BT doesn't want to run fibre to here presumably because it is out of the way and it would be a spur to about 5 houses which wouldn't pay enough. We get 12mbps down via cable unless it's raining or tractors or lorries have crushed the conduit a couple of inches below the surface of the road verge. BT are offering some sort of deal involving a 4G modem which kicks in when the cable plays up.

Last time the roadside cable got really messed up and it took BT 3 months to repair it I used a giffgaff sim which allows tethering. IIRC it's £25 / month for unlimited data, but you only get the first 10GB at about 40Mbps,then it goes down to a lower speed that does low res streaming ok, but that's it.

Isn't Elon Musk going to beam free internet to the world from those satellites? From what I can make out of the 5G coverage maps, there is barely any outside a few cities. Isn't that an integral part of the fourth industrial revolution and the internet of things, or are globalists that crap at tech and infrastructure projects and will never actually realise their nefarious goals?

Currently using a GiffGaff SIM as my main connection. 80Gb of data for 20 quid a month. I can stream decent video on that. You couldn't run a HD TV every night on it, but the data allowance is not bad. 25 quid gets you unlimited now, but when you go over 80Gb allowance they throttle it at peak times.

When I lived in a rural area I found mobile to be better than fixed copper connection.

Depends on location and proximity to towers and what your usage is.

Certainly worth considering.

I have a friend who lives on a Dutch barge who has satellite, it still has its limitations and you need a secondary connection of some description - unless you have bottomless pockets for the full fat two way version.

I think the trouble is 4G (not used 5G) is great when it works but extremely patchy sometimes. If you are in very strong signal area it's 90pc broadband. However if you get bad weather or problems with the masts you are stuck. It's worth trying I wouldn't recommend it for WFH unless you are truly stuck for alternatives. But for a bit of Netflix of an evening it's workable.

4 hours ago, ccc said:

My dad is in rural NI and moved to this after years of brutally slow broadband. 

EE 4g WiFi. Data only SIM plugged into a special router. Works very well apparently. He got a small mast fitted too which helps with the signal. 

Gets 23 Mbps download which apparently is very decent. 

And this is in an area where all around people have difficulty getting just a basic mobile signal for their phone. 

Yep I had one of these a couple of years ago when I moved back in with my parents for a few months. They had the shittiest 1-2 meg ADSL ever so I got the EE osprey 4G mifi thing.

Worked really really well, I was actually really surprised by how well it worked, no different to normal wired broadband really except for a few specific use cases (e.g. gaming)

edit: didn't need any kind of mast though, just the little box sat on the window ledge

Edited by Boglet

We lived in a rural area in the UK where the only option was ADSL at 1.7Mbps because we were 3km from the exchange. We ditched that for 3G and then later 4G.

They did run fibre to the cabinet but sadly that was 800m from the house so it might as well have been 800 miles away. The 76Mbps downstream available at the cabinet was down to more like 17Mbps by the time it had travelled down 1.2km of knackered old copper wire (it doesn't go in a straight line) with upstream of something like 3Mbps, so "fibre" was pitiable.

So we stayed with 4G, we had an EE SIM and package which IIRC was 300GB/mo for something like £75/mo, a Huawei B593 4G modem/router and an antenna on the roof and we'd normally see between 20Mbps and 50Mbps down and a fairly solid 45Mbps up.

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

So we stayed with 4G, we had an EE SIM and package which IIRC was 300GB/mo for something like £75/mo,

It's cheaper than that now. My 4G dongle is unlimited for £23 a month. Of course it doesn't always work.

Oh, one more thing: some mobile providers use something called CGNAT which basically means your IP address can change from one request to another. This means among other things that if you have the whole house wired up to the connection and you're trying to control YouTube on the TV with your mobile, it stops working regularly because the server at the other end doesn't think that both are on the same connection.

Making that work required a VPN with a fixed IP address which was configured in the router, so everything in the house always presented the same outward facing IP address and that was another £10/mo.