Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Recommended Posts

Modern tips aren't just holes in the ground that are covered over and forgotten about. They have to be lined, and surveys have to ensure that ground water won't be contaminated, that methane can be safely managed, etc.

So there is good reason to restict the amount that is buried, and encourage recycling.

If greater value was placed on recycling materials, more people would recycle, but recycling is already prohibitively expensive.

Maybe fly tippers should be more severely punished, but that wouldn't reduce the amount of rubbish, merely where it ends up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

 

If greater value was placed on recycling materials, more people would recycle, but recycling is already prohibitively expensive.

In my recent experience, 'recycling' is

  • People in the west throwing stuff away.  Oh, but they put it in 'recycling', so it is all marvellous.
  • The stuff is sorted, and some sent (CO2) to a hellhole, where they extract all the stuff like, in my example, integrated circuits.  They then throw the remains in a hole in the ground (which isn't in the UK -- phew.  Oh, but it might leach stuff into their groundwater.  Oh well).
  • In my example, they then send (CO2) the ICs to China where they clean them up, grind off the old markings and then laser stamp some new markings that match the IC form factor (but not the actual silicon).
  • They then send them (CO2) to me.  I test them and find they're all worthless crap, and throw them away.
  • They then go for recycling.
Edited by dgul
Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon that 99% of flytipping would be eliminated by giving all travellers a special free pass for any tip in the country.  

[They already have a 'difficult time', because they don't have a local authority and so can't so easily use council amenities in the area in which they're camped.  Thus no right-on group could complain about this resolution of what is 'clearly a difficulty in their hard lives'.]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Councils arent fully to blame. On one hand they are by law required to provide planning permission for pikey pitches within their boroughs and on the other they then see a mysterious increase in flytipping.

What else can they do? The problem is central government who put these requirements on local councils. As I've said many a time, a Final Solution for pikeys is what's needed. Doing that will reduce the following by 95%:

- flytipping

- sheds and tools being raided

- tractor theft

- quad bike theft

- scamming old ladies by promising work that never materialises

- lead roof theft

- rural burglaries

- shoplifting 

- catalytic converter theft

- dragging policemen along the road scraping their skin off 

Gas 'em all.

(I'm joking of course)

Edited by spunko
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dgul said:

In my recent experience, 'recycling' is

  • People in the west throwing stuff away.  Oh, but they put it in 'recycling', so it is all marvellous.
  • The stuff is sorted, and some sent (CO2) to a hellhole, where they extract all the stuff like, in my example, integrated circuits.  They then throw the remains in a hole in the ground (which isn't in the UK -- phew.  Oh, but it might leach stuff into their groundwater.  Oh well).
  • In my example, they then send (CO2) the ICs to China where they clean them up, grind off the old markings and then laser stamp some new markings that match the IC form factor (but not the actual silicon).
  • They then send them (CO2) to me.  I test them and find they're all worthless crap, and throw them away.
  • They then go for recycling.

35 years ago I dated a girl in Sutton, whose Mum worked for a local semiconductor distibutor.

She told me her Mum operated a machine that scrubbed off component markings and printed on new ones.

After a very long and stunned silence from me, she asked "Oh, aren't they supposed to do that?"

I've just looked on Google - the company is still there on Carshalton Road.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

35 years ago I dated a girl in Sutton, whose Mum worked for a local semiconductor distibutor.

She told me her Mum operated a machine that scrubbed off component markings and printed on new ones.

After a very long and stunned silence from me, she asked "Oh, aren't they supposed to do that?"

I've just looked on Google - the company is still there on Carshalton Road.

I've got some older components at the back of the stock cupboard from the days when RS would scrape off the manufacturer info and paint on their own stock number.  I used to find this hilarious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dgul said:

I've got some older components at the back of the stock cupboard from the days when RS would scrape off the manufacturer info and paint on their own stock number.  I used to find this hilarious.

Did they even scrape off the old number? I still have some 'RS' transistors where they simply painted over the original markings with silver paint and them printed their part number on it.

AFAIK they were simply concealing the original manufacturer, not selling something as a different component.

In some cases, the different 'identical' ICs from different manufacturers are not electrically interchangeable, even if in the same spec package.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

35 years ago I dated a girl in Sutton, whose Mum worked for a local semiconductor distibutor.

She told me her Mum operated a machine that scrubbed off component markings and printed on new ones.

After a very long and stunned silence from me, she asked "Oh, aren't they supposed to do that?"

I've just looked on Google - the company is still there on Carshalton Road.

Aha. That company name ends international ltd doesn’t it..

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spunko said:

Councils arent fully to blame. On one hand they are by law required to provide planning permission for pikey pitches within their boroughs and on the other they then see a mysterious increase in flytipping.

What else can they do? The problem is central government who put these requirements on local councils. As I've said many a time, a Final Solution for pikeys is what's needed. Doing that will reduce the following by 95%:

- flytipping

- sheds and tools being raided

- tractor theft

- quad bike theft

- scamming old ladies by promising work that never materialises

- lead roof theft

- rural burglaries

- shoplifting 

- catalytic converter theft

- dragging policemen along the road scraping their skin off 

Gas 'em all.

You forgot one... Removing drain hole covers.  Very dangerous and would be surprised if there are not multiple injuries if not occasional deaths due to every year.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dogtania said:

You forgot one... Removing drain hole covers.  Very dangerous and would be surprised if there are not multiple injuries if not occasional deaths due to every year.

 

Around here they dumped a tonne of cash into replacing them with drain covers made of non-reusable materials.

They're happy to spend money on "fixing" the problem, but never to actually take direct action against the root cause of the problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sarahbell said:

126265013_3724491570924040_1770705675233377233_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=2ysiN1q9hMkAX8Z5HC0&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=06bf409444cac5a28280711d5e747a5b&oe=5FDAEE3E

 

 

This happened overnight in Chadderton.

What's the answer? The council spends a small fortune clearing up fly tipping. Would it be more beneficial to just open the tips free for all.

 

 

So here's the problem, it's tax payers money, there is NO incentive to not waste it. It's probably a job subbed out to a contractor, who in turn plays golf with a few local council officials, or who may actually be a local council official.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sarahbell said:

126265013_3724491570924040_1770705675233377233_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=2ysiN1q9hMkAX8Z5HC0&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=06bf409444cac5a28280711d5e747a5b&oe=5FDAEE3E

 

 

This happened overnight in Chadderton.

What's the answer? The council spends a small fortune clearing up fly tipping. Would it be more beneficial to just open the tips free for all.

 

 

Yip, I'd be ok about paying a little bit more for waste disposal if it meant tips were free for all, it wouldn't necessarily cost more since cleaning that ^ up wouldn't be cheap, it'd mean dodgy waste wasn't dumped so often too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Yip, I'd be ok about paying a little bit more for waste disposal if it meant tips were free for all, it wouldn't necessarily cost more since cleaning that ^ up wouldn't be cheap, it'd mean dodgy waste wasn't dumped so often too. 

I'm OK with a small charge for taking discarded white goods. Bristol used to take them for free, as long as you weren't a trader taking the piss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Now we all know that, but it's impolite to talk about it. Look how "green" we are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...