DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/students-give-tour-uni-house-23023752

I don't think I've seen it on Homes under the hammer or Property House Bargain ladder on ice.

I guess that's what happens when you take a 3 bed semi and turn it into a 5 bed HMO. 

How the hell is that news? What delicate little snowflakes!

For 18 years I lived in far worse flats in London and I was a full-time empoyed bloke. I just rented crappy places so I could save.

*ok, the sink thing that works on the bog cistern refill is a bit shite - I admit that. Never seen one outside of Japan. Handy if you never want to wash your hands in hot water.

41 minutes ago, dillinger said:

Wimps.

We used to have a tin bath in front of the fire in the 60's.

Being the youngest of four i used to get out dirtier than when i went in.

And say nothing about the outside loo and the Edgar Allen under the bed.

Before my nans council house was modernised the kitchen and bathroom were the same room. I find this hard to believe, but it's true - the base of the kitchen table was the bath. 

8 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Before my nans council house was modernised the kitchen and bathroom were the same room. I find this hard to believe, but it's true - the base of the kitchen table was the bath. 

You were lucky.

My nan used to stand us in the kitchen sink to wash us with a scouring pad.

Grandad would then dry us out with the mangle.

(One part of this may not be true)

On 19/11/2020 at 14:22, sarahbell said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/students-give-tour-uni-house-23023752

I don't think I've seen it on Homes under the hammer or Property House Bargain ladder on ice.

I may be missing something, but they seem to be having a good laugh about it to me, not complaining specifically.

10 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I may be missing something, but they seem to be having a good laugh about it to me, not complaining specifically.

True; they don't have the "sad face" required of the "woe is me" stories but are finding it funny. 

And it is funny especially the toilet.

Whilst I had decent rooms through college the one time I visited my sister's accommodation (oop north) she was in a house that made The Young Ones' house look desirable.

They genuinely did have rats in the basement. 

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

No you misunderstand.  They weren't pets.

It must also have been freezing in winter and was in an utter state.  I couldn't quite believe it tbh; I had assumed she had similar rooms to me with views across the quad.

Ah no Frank! You went to Hogwarts.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

And surprising that Zipser (born 1953 so 34 when it was filmed, just about okay for a career graduate student) predeceased Skullion (born 1940 so 47) in real life.

I'll not "fact check" that as you are usually reliable.

11 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'll not "fact check" that as you are usually reliable.

I looked it up - I didn't know the dates!

Incidentally John Sessions was an absolute whizz with the dates of births and deaths; I saw a QI where people threw the names of famous people at him at random and he got them all right.

Edited by Frank Hovis