DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The revolt of the elites

I was looking for some references to an article I read in the 90s about the imminent dawn of a new dark ages where learning and knowledge would be concentrated amongst an intellectual elite and law and order would break down. I often think of it because I think it was right, but I'd like to read it again to try to understand whether it was future predicting or future shaping. Anyhoo, I ended up down a bit of a rabbit hole that led me to a review of the book 'The revolt of the elites' I thought it would be worth sharing here as many of the themes chime with the thoughts of the Dosbiderati

https://unherd.com/2020/07/the-book-that-predicted-2020/

I ended up there by following links from an article by a guy called James Bridle, who I'd never heard of, turns out he has some interesting things to say and has written some interesting things, linked to in this article:

https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/conspiracies-climate-and-the-new-dark-age-an-extract-from-my-book-about-technology-and-the-end-2ffeef08ff29

His article on automated YouTube video generation is fascinating, something I'd never noticed, despite spending a lot of time on YouTube. 

Well worth a read if you're at a loose end for a few minutes. 

Looks like an interesting book, I'm going to seek it out. Despite being "on the left" the author was clearly a social conservative who wouldn't have been entirely out of place here:

Lasch was thoroughly on the Left during the 1960s, indeed he moved further in that direction, but as Alan Ryan wrote soon after his death, he “emphasised what many on the Left have thought to be the guilty secret of American liberalism: its affection for corporate organisation, and a thoroughly manipulative view of the relationship between the new social sciences and the populace whose lives the liberals wanted to improve”.

Throughout the book runs Lasch’s moral core, his support for the average man, something which inspired his hostility to the dominant ideologies of Left and Right. He strongly opposed economic inequality because it was corrupting; highly unequal societies tend to bring with them graft, extremism, violence and outside interference, eliminating Republican virtue. Lasch lamented that in America, the top tenth owned more than half the country’s wealth, a warning that now seems as quaint as newspapers in the placid 1950s worried about Teddy Boys. The decline of pensions and savings, and the rise of what we now call zero-contract hours, would lead to the collapse of the middle class and with it the decline of the nation.

Lasch also saw that the eroding of a common culture, values and standards, which was the major legacy of 60s cultural radicalism, ended up creating a gulf between social classes. If there were no common values to hold people together, what was to stop the rich and powerful trampling over the rest of society, cloaking their self-interest in furious self-righteousness?

... Lasch, while not a practising Christian, understood the importance of religion, and that without it politics would inspire “the feeling of self-righteousness that is so commonly confused with religion”. It would bring all the negative hallmarks of faith, the fanaticism and intolerance, but none of the devotion, the selflessness, the agonising.

12 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

Looks like an interesting book, I'm going to seek it out. Despite being "on the left" the author was clearly a social conservative who wouldn't have been entirely out of place here:

Lasch was thoroughly on the Left during the 1960s, indeed he moved further in that direction, but as Alan Ryan wrote soon after his death, he “emphasised what many on the Left have thought to be the guilty secret of American liberalism: its affection for corporate organisation, and a thoroughly manipulative view of the relationship between the new social sciences and the populace whose lives the liberals wanted to improve”.

Throughout the book runs Lasch’s moral core, his support for the average man, something which inspired his hostility to the dominant ideologies of Left and Right. He strongly opposed economic inequality because it was corrupting; highly unequal societies tend to bring with them graft, extremism, violence and outside interference, eliminating Republican virtue. Lasch lamented that in America, the top tenth owned more than half the country’s wealth, a warning that now seems as quaint as newspapers in the placid 1950s worried about Teddy Boys. The decline of pensions and savings, and the rise of what we now call zero-contract hours, would lead to the collapse of the middle class and with it the decline of the nation.

Lasch also saw that the eroding of a common culture, values and standards, which was the major legacy of 60s cultural radicalism, ended up creating a gulf between social classes. If there were no common values to hold people together, what was to stop the rich and powerful trampling over the rest of society, cloaking their self-interest in furious self-righteousness?

... Lasch, while not a practising Christian, understood the importance of religion, and that without it politics would inspire “the feeling of self-righteousness that is so commonly confused with religion”. It would bring all the negative hallmarks of faith, the fanaticism and intolerance, but none of the devotion, the selflessness, the agonising.

Aye. In an nutshell he was spot on. 

The idea that we’re in the middle of a revolution of the upper classes against the working classes is a fascinating one. The bit that doesn’t feel complete is the exact definition of the upper classes. I’m pretty sure it’s not the old money we’re talking about here and I don’t think the likes of Bezos, Zuckerberg et al are leaders in this (more followers) but it is certainly _someone_ against the working (aka middle in the US) classes. I assume Carl will be along soon to tell us it’s the Joos of course.

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

It sounds an interesting book, but learning and knowledge are now available to all with an internet connection.

If they are not distracted. 

I’m starting to think most of what we see on television and quite a lot of what is found online is deliberately designed to prevent people from learning anything of any value. 

3 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

The idea that we’re in the middle of a revolution of the upper classes against the working classes is a fascinating one. The bit that doesn’t feel complete is the exact definition of the upper classes. I’m pretty sure it’s not the old money we’re talking about here and I don’t think the likes of Bezos, Zuckerberg et al are leaders in this (more followers) but it is certainly _someone_ against the working (aka middle in the US) classes. I assume Carl will be along soon to tell us it’s the Joos of course.

Last hurrah of the boomers.

The entitled bunch who have always had the government on their side.

Now being usurped by the next generation (led by a septuagenarian xD ) and they can't let go. 

3 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I think the only answer to this is that all of us, human nature, of any shape, colour or size is potentially against the working class. By working class I mean anyone who has to work to survive (vast majority), a slave to the system, and the "elite", those who merely preserve wealth, status and inheritance. We are approaching the end  of a capitalist/ monetary system and to be fair this has been one of the longest and most successful in history, however its time is nearly up. The populations in the west are looking for scapegoats, be that Democrats, Jews, Blacks, White Privilege or whatever, but the truth is a diverse group from all sectors are beneficiaries of the system, but as yet, are unaware they cannot hold back the tide of resentment.

In truth, anybody would gladly accept the fruits of a system that hands us status, and influence. We are all to blame as it is part of our instinct to accept our special place if it comes. As humans, like dogs, we are ultimately obsessed with hierarchy and relative positioning within our society.

So is there a solution? Probably not. We just await a collective of politicians and leaders who can successfully mobilize a group, take a standpoint and run with it, with DT its lamemedia, corrupt DEMS etc. Even the Dems with their social justice mantra will be all at sea without DT to blame. They will need to find others to blame, my best bet will be China. In the end though, they cannot halt the tide, the human made system innovated to motivate people and deliver societal gains has a lifespan which is in advance middle age. My hunch is it will still outlive me, but doesn't mean we shouldn't try navigate a reset with a minimal loss of lives.

6 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

It doesn't look good for the Joos though. Although this article reads like fake news, sadly it's all true.

https://newspunch.com/george-soros-bill-gates-facebooks-fact-checkers/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

As said on here many a time it's more of an Disinformation Revolution rather than class struggle. He who controls the narrative can create the news. If you think the news doesn't affect your life then just look at the Trump election saga and the effect that's going to have on all of us for another 4 years.

3 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

If they are not distracted. 

I’m starting to think most of what we see on television and quite a lot of what is found online is deliberately designed to prevent people from learning anything of any value. 

There's far too much news space and not enough actual news. Not long ago there were newspapers and 2 TV channels. Now we have umpteen TV channels, various streaming services and the so-called social media. It will fill up with absolute rubbish. Also a lot of people just like to publish lies, just for a wind up, or to get noticed, and "liked".

Ever expanding universities and public sector culture have played a considerable role in generating the tensions we see in society. It's created a large sort of faux intelligentsia that sees itself as other to the people it 'helps' and thinks about. It's more divisive and different to class distinction. Aristocratic old money types and wealthy self made business people often cultivate good relationships with the people who work for them, but this new and large broadly middle class and left leaning group do not. 

The current grab for power in the western world will fail because of this and as more people see through the rhetoric and suffer loss at the hands of dishonestly presented policies, resentment will quickly increase and turn the tables.  

5 hours ago, MrPin said:

It sounds an interesting book, but learning and knowledge are now available to all with an internet connection.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07747FR44/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c2_odsbndea_0_t?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=P18V4FB433ARBVEFJF0Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=96023f23-659e-4a25-86b0-2abe3ae3295a&pf_rd_i=341677031

£120

And all the PDFs you can rip off the internet.

Can hold 10x more books than average grad will read in their life.

Define elite.

Munter bothering Prince Thicko Charles?

Some lick arse in the civil service who cant use a computer?

Chief exec of the local council?

1 minute ago, Caravan Monster said:

Ever expanding universities and public sector culture have played a considerable role in generating the tensions we see in society. It's created a large sort of faux intelligentsia that sees itself as other to the people it 'helps' and thinks about. It's more divisive and different to class distinction. Aristocratic old money types and wealthy self made business people often cultivate good relationships with the people who work for them, but this new and large broadly middle class and left leaning group do not. 

The current grab for power in the western world will fail because of this and as more people see through the rhetoric and suffer loss at the hands of dishonestly presented policies, resentment will quickly increase and turn the tables.  

Ah yes, those.

'Im a graduate (women studies). That puts me in the top 10% of society'

'But ~45% of 18yo go to Uni?'

'Yes, thats what said. How do you use the coffee machine?'

This is just a bunch of wank

Across the US — and around the world — graduates and young professionals took to the streets, leading a bizarre anti-revolution in which immigrant shops were ransacked and working-class neighbourhoods forced to defend themselves from violent college-educated protesters and their allies.

One, grads and young professionals  are not a fucking elite. Theyve just spend ~8 more years in education, mostly pointless.

Who'd you bet on in a fight? - Cyzzn, who identifies as non binary or Bubba who works 12h at a meat packing factory?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Lasch

Robert Christopher Lasch (June 1, 1932 – February 14, 1994) was an American historian, moralist, and social critic who was a history professor at the University of Rochester. Lasch sought to use history as a tool to awaken American society to the pervasiveness with which major institutions, public and private, were eroding the competence and independence of families and communities. He strove to create a historically informed social criticism that could teach Americans how to deal with rampant consumerism, proletarianization, and what he famously labeled "the culture of narcissism".

Fucking. Useless. Snobby Cunt.

Just a thicky who cannot made his mind up or understand the complexity of society:

Lasch was always a critic of modern liberalism and a historian of liberalism's discontents, but over time his political perspective evolved dramatically. In the 1960s, he was a neo-Marxist and acerbic critic of Cold War liberalism. During the 1970s, he supported certain aspects of cultural conservatism with a left-leaning critique of capitalism, and drew on Freud-influenced critical theory to diagnose the ongoing deterioration that he perceived in American culture and politics. His writings are sometimes denounced by feminists[7] and hailed by conservatives[8] for his apparent defense of family life.

6 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Klaus Schwaub from the World Economic Forum pushing the "Great Reset". 

George Soros funding BLM and Antifa.

Mark Zuckerberg pushing his narrative and censoring dissent. 

The (almost) entire media which has been pushing the lie.

Etc, etc, etc.

Yeah, none of this is anything to do with Jews...

9 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I see.

It's like the tin man in the Wizard of OZ, wants a brain, but finally is awarded a diploma.:S

Yes. By someone who decided what knowledge is important. 

We all laugh at the stupidity of the Catholic Church and their treatment of Galileo (ironically from Google:D):

Early in 1616, Galileo was accused of being a heretic, a person who opposed Church teachings. Heresy was a crime for which people were sometimes sentenced to death. Galileo was cleared of charges of heresy, but was told that he should no longer publicly state his belief that Earth moved around the Sun

Which is exactly where we are now. A new dark ages, with a modern equivalent of the Medieval Catholic Church deciding what is fact and what is fiction, what is a crime and what is not and who is punished and who isn't, regardless of what might be considered justice. 

11 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I was looking for some references to an article I read in the 90s about the imminent dawn of a new dark ages where learning and knowledge would be concentrated amongst an intellectual elite and law and order would break down. I often think of it because I think it was right, but I'd like to read it again to try to understand whether it was future predicting or future shaping. Anyhoo, I ended up down a bit of a rabbit hole that led me to a review of the book 'The revolt of the elites' I thought it would be worth sharing here as many of the themes chime with the thoughts of the Dosbiderati

https://unherd.com/2020/07/the-book-that-predicted-2020/

I ended up there by following links from an article by a guy called James Bridle, who I'd never heard of, turns out he has some interesting things to say and has written some interesting things, linked to in this article:

https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/conspiracies-climate-and-the-new-dark-age-an-extract-from-my-book-about-technology-and-the-end-2ffeef08ff29

His article on automated YouTube video generation is fascinating, something I'd never noticed, despite spending a lot of time on YouTube. 

Well worth a read if you're at a loose end for a few minutes. 

Articulates a lot of what I have long felt about the bogus radicalism of the modern left and its complicit alliance with modern corporate capitalism.

3 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

It's componentisation of humans, a natural fit for globalisation and a logical justification for mass immigration. I grew up on stories of mine owners getting the pit ponies out first after a disaster, because new miners could be hired while new pit ponies had to be bought. If there's a tie to the land itself then it's harder to see humans as interchangeable inventory items. It can still be done if you're ruthless, but there's a bond between (non-absentee) landlord and tenant, that's not there between industrial capitalist and worker.

The decline of Christianity might come into it too. Historically, scriptural arguments were used to persuade the lower orders to know their place, but it cuts both ways: the head also acknowledges the importance of the foot. This must be the kind of thing Lasch had in mind when he wrote, "[the abandonment of religion] would bring all the negative hallmarks of faith, the fanaticism and intolerance, but none of the devotion, the selflessness, the agonising."

Edited by Lightly Toasted
3 hours ago, MrPin said:

There's far too much news space and not enough actual news. Not long ago there were newspapers and 2 TV channels. Now we have umpteen TV channels, various streaming services and the so-called social media. It will fill up with absolute rubbish. Also a lot of people just like to publish lies, just for a wind up, or to get noticed, and "liked".

Still waiting for 24 hr blaze TV.  More staged pawn fights.  Antiques roadshow on the wane probably compared to the above.  Honestly before my TV connection at work got stolen I used to tune in occasionally to pawn stars (the Detroit one) much easier than antique roadshow so probably I'm part of the problem 🙁

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07747FR44/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c2_odsbndea_0_t?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=P18V4FB433ARBVEFJF0Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=96023f23-659e-4a25-86b0-2abe3ae3295a&pf_rd_i=341677031

£120

And all the PDFs you can rip off the internet.

Can hold 10x more books than average grad will read in their life.

Define elite.

Munter bothering Prince Thicko Charles?

Some lick arse in the civil service who cant use a computer?

Chief exec of the local council?

Have you tried reading pdf's on a paperwhite?

My one is getting on a bit used a lot so the battery will finally die.  Not sure I want one of the bigger more expensive ones but maybe could be useful for all the PDF stuff.