Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Email providers


Recommended Posts

I'm just fishing for information.. Most people register their own domain names and then set up their own mailboxes whether that's with the same company that hosts the domain or using "free" mailboxes in a virtual hosting package. A few of our customers use GMail.

I've used Exchange for so long that I've got used to the fact that the tasks, calendar and contacts just sync automatically across all devices. It would seem weird to me if they only lived on my mobile. But then not everyone uses a computer these days. So for me those items seem to be "part of" email even though they are not.

Looking at our offerings, email has been a race to the bottom in terms of price to the extent that many people think email is something that always comes free and the idea of paying for it seems odd. This is why I want to discontinue providing email altogether. The volume required to turn any profit from it is way too high to bother with.

That and the fact that most can organise their own. On the other hand new clients might expect a one-stop service. We could sell MS Exchange as a premium service with the aforementioned calendaring and contact sync. We could provide a Gmail setup service for a flat fee if people want to use that and want it done for them.

So as to finalise a decision, I thought I'd do a quick survey and ask what you use, and whether you have to pay for it.. not because I suppose that anyone on here wants to buy mailboxes but to get a general idea of what people actually use. As I'm a bit "out of touch". Thanks..

Link to post
Share on other sites

I rely on the domain 'free email' for all my domains.  They don't get used much, but they're necessary to get messages from people who just use @domain.com to send info.  There's no mailbox as such -- they're all forwarded into a 'proper' email system for filtering and perusal.  I hardly ever use them for outgoing -- that's all done from the parent co. email with the appropriate signature.

I would consider a domain without free forwarding as being insufficient (I could set up the email myself, but it is too much of a faff).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use protonmail, though it's taking me far too long to migrate off google and microsoft. I pay for their premium service as their free offering was too limited.

They offer a business service too.

I'd recommend them to anyone who wants privacy, your mailbox is encrypted, even Protonmail can't access it. Don't forget your password as it can't be recovered after mailbox encryption is enabled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, snaga said:

I use protonmail, though it's taking me far too long to migrate off google and microsoft. I pay for their premium service as their free offering was too limited.

They offer a business service too.

I'd recommend them to anyone who wants privacy, your mailbox is encrypted, even Protonmail can't access it. Don't forget your password as it can't be recovered after mailbox encryption is enabled.

I have an account with them because that's how the council wanted stuff sending one time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I use gmail.

I'm happy with that, at a personal level.

However, I do use Ghandi, who do offer a very good email service too.

My worry about gmail accounts etc is that they have you over a barrel. Even more so with btconnect / sky etc as if you leave BT you lose your email.

Your email address becomes a large part of your life - something that you really don't ever want to lose.

What happens if gmail decide to charge £50 per month? 

One of the things I did a long time ago was bought the domains for each of my family. We have @steveflight.co.uk, @kerryflight.co.uk etc.

The nice thing about this is no matter what, in 20 years anyone that wants to drop me an email will be easily able to find me (or my lads.)

I run them through 123reg, which is basically ghandi.

Not owning your own domain is risky, IMO

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

My worry about gmail accounts etc is that they have you over a barrel. Even more so with btconnect / sky etc as if you leave BT you lose your email.

Your email address becomes a large part of your life - something that you really don't ever want to lose.

What happens if gmail decide to charge £50 per month? 

One of the things I did a long time ago was bought the domains for each of my family. We have @steveflight.co.uk, @kerryflight.co.uk etc.

The nice thing about this is no matter what, in 20 years anyone that wants to drop me an email will be easily able to find me (or my lads.)

I run them through 123reg, which is basically ghandi.

Not owning your own domain is risky, IMO

 

I did used to use a bt email address that was bundled with my broadband band.

However, I made an active choice to move gmail's to seperate that dependency.

Years ago (1998ish) I did think about buying my name domain - a few friends did - but decided it was too vain.

If gmail start charging, and I expect they will at some point - I'm ok with £5/mo.

.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually changed my email address for the first time since the advent of the internet a couple of years back. As I have a reasonably unusual name I could still get my own name @virginmedia.com. I found it strangely liberating! A short while later I changed my mobile no. for the first time in twenty odd years, and same! It killed off a lot of baggage on both.

Am I the only one who doesn't use webmail? I'm still using Windows Live Mail on a Windows 7 PC and it gets deleted off the mail server on download.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For years I ran my own domain off a Linux server in my garage, running sendmail. I was beginning to be responsible for mailservers at work as well and I thought getting experience at home would be great. Spam was a lot more of a problem then however and the ballsache factor of fiddling with spamassassin all the time eventually made me give it up.

Experimented with Hushmail but ultimately I don't see the value in these specialised mail providers which only offer the high-security features within their own domain. Ultimately of course though you want to mail random people on random networks and I consider email security is impossible in practical terms. 

When Gmail started it was intro-only and everyone wanted it. Someone I knew on a US forum sent me an invite and off I went. I still use it but for a number of reasons I started to migrate personal stuff to Yandex, which is the Russian Fed equivalent of Google in pretty much every way, right down to operating their own cloud equivalent. Works fine same as Gmail.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought my own domain, and attached it to a Business Office 365 E3 email account for £11 odd a month, which includes Office. It works well, it's pretty secure, and it's their problem & I don't have to worry about it.

You cannot compete with these services (Office 365/Google Business) on cost or functionality. Every business I know is migrating to these as it gets rid of headaches and frees up IT staff to get stuff done that has more value attached.

Edited by inactionman
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

My worry about gmail accounts etc is that they have you over a barrel. Even more so with btconnect / sky etc as if you leave BT you lose your email.

Your email address becomes a large part of your life - something that you really don't ever want to lose.

What happens if gmail decide to charge £50 per month?

 

 

Unlikely. I'm sure having most people using gmail makes it slghtly easier for the NSA and GCHQ to read it all...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bornagain said:

If they were to do this then you spend a couple of hours opening a new email account and transferring things over.

A pain in the tits, but not a big deal....

But what do you transfer over?

Do you really think your 1,000 or so contacts will pay any attention to your change of address email?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Possibly because you keep changing your email address.

Nah, its a more lot likely that I am just an antisocial bastard.

I have had the same gmail address since gmail became a thing, but I would not hestitate to change providers if the fuckers try to charge me. 

 

Edited by Bornagain
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bornagain said:

Nah, its a more lot likely that I am just an antisocial bastard.

I have had the same gmail address since gmail became a thing, but I would not hestitate to change providers if the fuckers try to charge me. 

 

I guess I am conflating personal and business email.

I cannot fathom why any business would not have their own domain, but many don't.

Total madness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, spygirl said:

I did used to use a bt email address that was bundled with my broadband band.

However, I made an active choice to move gmail's to seperate that dependency.

Years ago (1998ish) I did think about buying my name domain - a few friends did - but decided it was too vain.

If gmail start charging, and I expect they will at some point - I'm ok with £5/mo.

.

 

 

 

I'm not okay with paying anything to Gmail given that they harvest the content of your emails. But it is a good service for free.

Edited by 23rdian
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...