DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

New type of engine invented

Initial thoughts- 

Lots of reciprocating mass.

Interested to know how the upper piston section gets any lubrication.

Potentially interesting sealing challenge where the piston rod part of the piston/crosshead assembly passes between the two chambers.

Due to the shared inlet concept of this, you're forced to have the cylinders locked to exactly 180 degrees out of phase, but with the V configuration this forces the crank to have the journals unevenly spaced. So probably has some 'interesting' secondary moments/couples.

Edited by Boglet
4 minutes ago, Boglet said:

Initial thoughts- 

Due to the shared inlet concept of this, you're forced to have the cylinders locked to exactly 180 degrees out of phase, but with the V configuration this forces the crank to have the journals unevenly spaced. So probably has some 'interesting' secondary moments/couples.

Good thoughts too.  Might only work well on paper, like the Ecoboost.  I wonder what it would sound like though, crossplane crank R1 engines sound like a V4 (Gorgeous) but are inline.  I hope it does get a production run.  

7 minutes ago, Boglet said:

Initial thoughts- 

Suppose you make the lower cylinder section bigger diameter than the upper section? Inherent supercharging.

8 hours ago, Option5 said:

Similar basic concept to the Napier Deltic diesel locomotive engine?

It's right confusing watching an animation of that. It's 100% British too, and better the Sinclair's C5.

Deltic engines were also for marine use.

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

Ssssssh.

I'm sure many here remember pouring the oil into the tank of the scooter after a refill, and getting the measurement wrong, and producing pollution.

But in the case of a Diesel, the fuel is the lubrication already.

3 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Compression could also be improved by using my patent elliptical big end crank bearing, which requires a lot of lubrication.

OK, now here's my first idiot question. If the fuel/lube mixture does not make it into the crankcase, what lubricates that? Pumped oil I guess? So you have lost one of the simplicities of running a 2-stroke.

BTW, I had a Suzuki GT-550 once, and it was horrible.

Just now, MrPin said:

OK, now here's my first idiot question. If the fuel/lube mixture does not make it into the crankcase, what lubricates that? Pumped oil I guess? So you have lost one of the simplicities of running a 2-stroke.

BTW, I had a Suzuki GT-550 once, and it was horrible.

I can't figure what the unrestricted air/fuel crossflow between the two pistons does.

Probably prevents the pistons blowing up.

5 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I can't figure what the unrestricted air/fuel crossflow between the two pistons does.

Probably prevents the pistons blowing up.

Looks like it is scavenging the momentum of the downstroke from the previous cycle to help drive the next, rather than the air just being ported the exhaust, only at idle though, not under load.

10 hours ago, Boglet said:

Initial thoughts- 

Potentially interesting sealing challenge where the piston rod part of the piston/crosshead assembly passes between the two chambers.

Wot he said.

Just now, Ash4781b said:

In remember reading about the Wankel engine when I was younger and asking which production cars it went into. I think it was in a Mazda but I will go off and read! 

Mazda RX7.. NSU RO-80, car of the year 1968, apparent (Help me with the wheels @Bedrag Justesen). All burst.

Mazda did a few cars, but I think the RX7

was the popular one. Stopped in 2002 apparently.

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Mazda RX7.. NSU RO-80, car of the year 1968, apparent (Help me with the wheels @Bedrag Justesen). All burst.

Mazda did a few cars, but I think the RX7

was the popular one. Stopped in 2002 apparently.

Small, powerful, drinks petrol like a tank.

A friend bought one in the late 90s.

Its great he said - the acceleration and handling is superb ....

6 months later he traded it in for a Honda.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

A new ICE design ....

Theres one created every ~5 years.

And they go into test, whether  they are

a) shock apart after ~1 years

b) gush petrol.

I raise you the Norton Wulf motorcycle , which never went into production in 1975

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

Sounds wonderful.

Let's see if they can develop it, get it into production and recoup their investment within the next 9 years.

Isn't it only the "clever" west that's on a mission to ban ICE? Could have big demand in poorer countries as oil price only going one way by then

1 minute ago, Loki said:

Isn't it only the "clever" west that's on a mission to ban ICE? Could have big demand in poorer countries as oil price only going one way by then

That's true, where mopeds, and small motorcycles are popular. The weather is good and you can get a family of 5 on a small Honda.