DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

How to find addresses at difficult locations?

Funn3r

Question

I rent a place on a country lane about a mile long. It's an unadopted road. There are many houses, but no house numbers and instead each house has a name, often but not always displayed outside on a plate. The names are randomly selected by the owners and not in alphabetical or any other order, and are visible if you type the house name on the postcode database. The houses are very expensive and posh with enormous gardens and mostly electric gates and such to keep out the lower orders. 

Mine is unusual in that it has an intercom at the gate where people can press a doorbell button and if necessary I can remotely open the gate. The intercom itself looks as though it also works for voice but doesn't. Other houses in the lane don't have such a thing as far as I have noticed.

In this area there is no usable cellular mobile signal on any network. 

Having set the scene this is my problem

Practically every fucking day my doorbell goes beep and it's a confused foreign person trying to deliver an Amazon parcel or something like that. "I'm trying to find Mr. Smith at Dunroamin is it you?" They are totally lost, mobile phone doesn't work, and finally they see a way of asking someone so they press my button. I know the names of a couple of houses near but of course I have no idea what the rest of them are and neither do they. It's pretty annoying if I'm in bed or otherwise not well equipped to traipse outside in my dressing gown. Today I had a heavily masked Sikh truck driver with a thick accent trying to deliver a bed and I couldn't even understand where they were looking for.

These are as I say posh houses and it amazes me that some owners cannot even bother to put name plates outside. How do they expect to get stuff they have ordered?  That's not the main problem though, it is that there is no easy way to locate an individual house even if you know its name.  The Royal Mail do seem to know where places are and this is presumably because they have made their own crib notes through long experience. I have no problem receiving normal mail.

In the spirit of civic participation, and to stop people keep pressing the bell when I'm on the toilet, I decided that I could pick a nice day to walk up and down the entire lane and produce a definitive map once and for all, if necessary attempting to ask the owners of unmarked houses what the name was. To do this I was thinking of printing out a Google Maps screenshot and marking it up with a pen as I walked along.

Any dosbodders suggest what I could do with said map if I completed it? Or any other solution I have just not thought of?

What I tried already - attempting to mark my own house name as a public place on Google Maps. This did not work; firstly you have to say what the place is i.e. a shop or whatever. There are dozens of options for this - but not a house. After I tried it anyway I got a message to say it would be reviewed by a human and they would be in touch, but I never heard of it again.

14 answers to this question

We used to have this regularly when we lived in the countryside. For the sake of not writing the exact details, I'll anonymise it a little:

Two addresses, one postcode

17 Deer Lane, GU56 1AB (our address)

17 Deer Walk, GU56 1AB

These were on different lanes but about 200m apart as the crow flies.

The problem is that the sat nav systems can't pinpoint which one it is. The directions run out when the driver is outside neither of them. To know which is which relies on the driver slowly driving along the road and spotting that Deer Lane is in fact a side-turning by way of the road sign which was frequently overgrown with brambles.

So we and our near-neighbours would regularly exchange packages. Occasionally they'd order something important, it would fail to arrive, and they'd have to pop round in person and ask if we had it.

Over time and since it was so quiet you could hear delivery drivers coming, I'd rush down and intercept them to check the name on the package before they escaped.

The other thing that would happen was - with deliveries of large things to the farm at the top of Deer Lane addressed to Name Of Farm, Deer Lane - the driver would stop outside and ask where the farm was.

He'd do this because the lane was so narrow and the edges of it so badly shot to pieces that the camber was collapsing that he didn't want to risk driving up there, since there was a risk that the HGV would get stuck or, as he had correctly surmised, there would be no way to turn around at the top unless the farm gates were open.

This once resulted in me ringing the farm to say that the 30 bags of cement or whatever it was were available at the bottom of the lane should he care to come down and get them, because there was no way that the driver was going to venture up the hill.

Frank Hovis

Such a map will already exist.

As I have mentioned I've helped out for the last few years on the council's annual exercise of getting people onto the electoral roll.  The homes that we generally have to visit are generally the fairly remote ones down tracks mainly a trip to the post office is difficult for these people.  The same homes crop up every year and generally have no more than a house name, village, and postcode.

This means bumping down farmers tracks and in one of my favourite examples the post code led you to a straight road with fields either side.  To get to the houses you had to know to go up to the crossroads, turn right and then turn right again down a bumpy track running parallel to the road to get there to reach a few houses that were not visible from the road.

I'm rambling but the point is that the council already has just such a map and we, as in the electoral roll people, can use it to find houses when we get stuck.  I think it may be only available to registered users but it does exist and will do for your part of the world.

I would suggest asking the council if you could have access to it and also asking them if couriers have access to it.  Somebody on here's father was doing courier work so he might know.

• Informative 1
Democorruptcy

In order to find an exact position you can use https://gridreferencefinder.com/

Use a postcode to find the place, then right click for the decimal latitude and longitude, these can be used for satnav instead of postcode.

Another solution is to use https://what3words.com/ navigate using a street name then click for the unique what 3 words at any spot.

• Agree 1
The XYY Man

Can none of you smartphone and satnav addled bastards simply stop some cunt in the street - or knock on a door - and ask them where the address is..?

I'd be surprised if any of you daft bastards can manage to take a crap without an app telling you when it's time to empty your cackpipe, and guide you safely to the shitter by the optimum route...

;)

XYY

• Agree 1
Libspero
17 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Any dosbodders suggest what I could do with said map if I completed it? Or any other solution I have just not thought of?

The obvious solution is to laminate it and stick it above your doorbell.

It won’t help the road signage,  but it might stop a few of them actually ringing your bell when they discover what they need pinned above it.

Good luck.

5 hours ago, Libspero said:

The obvious solution is to laminate it and stick it above your doorbell.

It won’t help the road signage,  but it might stop a few of them actually ringing your bell when they discover what they need pinned above it.

Good luck.

Yes and that's what I will probably go with. What a shame that in our whiz-bang digital world there isn't a simple fix for a relatively trivial problem like this.

spunko

You could get a What3Words account (free) and use that. Not helpful as such but a lot of people don't know about it. I ordered something the other day online and they asked for it.

• Agree 1

Doesn't google maps allow virtual painting on building roofs to identify them, which is then visible to anyone who looks?

Seems a bit of augmented reality is required. xD

spunko
On 26/11/2020 at 16:07, BoSon said:

Doesn't google maps allow virtual painting on building roofs to identify them, which is then visible to anyone who looks?

Seems a bit of augmented reality is required. xD

No need for that when you can just do what my neighbour does and put up a handwritten crude sign saying "TESCOS" and draw an arrow to your front door.

• Lol 1

In ye old days you'd have just one post man who'd everyone knew, and he knew all the houses on the road by name, and the people inside by name. In ye old days.

Today, if you are and your neighbours are cool with it, have a sign made and mini map made of the road, and all the names of the houses at the start of the road.

There could be a start up idea somewhere - if someone could make an app and collate all the house names onto google map. That would be a winner.

Untitled.jpg.d2abf1782b989814741653d4f71c2566.jpg

• Agree 1

most council planning websites have quite detailed maps that often include the names of properties if there's ever been a planning history. Easy way to find out the names of properties?

spunko
19 hours ago, Herby said:

most council planning websites have quite detailed maps that often include the names of properties if there's ever been a planning history. Easy way to find out the names of properties?

This is a good method but the  council planning websites are really slow if working at all.