DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Christmas presents. Ball ache.

That time of year to get moaned at.

X mas presents. I have reduced the list over the years by mutual agreement.

The one that is always awkward is for my wife. She wants a pasta maker. Sure can do noodles too but we dont use enough of either.  More junk.

I figured a bread maker. We use more. Then...thats not the point. I think I will go for cash. I have a few small things acquired for the day. I will be moaned at whatever happens.

Perhaps the more direct..what do you want heres the budget?

Much easier the otherway around. She knows I wont spend till its beyond broke so anything in that remit gets a thanks.

I looked at the thread on useless kitchen utensils...both items appeared.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So my brother just called over, with three huge bags. In the bags he has a total of 25 boxes. He has created in effect the world's largest advent calendar, buying me 25 gifts, one for each d

It's all bullshit. I think presents actually spoil Christmas now.

Ball gag? It will at least stop the moaning...

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

The one that is always awkward is for my wife. She wants a pasta maker. Sure can do noodles too but we dont use enough of either.  More junk.

I figured a bread maker. We use more. Then...thats not the point. I think I will go for cash. I have a few small things acquired for the day. I will be moaned at whatever happens.

Much easier the otherway around. She knows I wont spend till its beyond broke so anything in that remit gets a thanks.

Ball gag? It will at least stop the moaning...

14 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

The cheaper pasta makers are junk metal.  They'll last about 2-3 uses, if that, before breaking.

The expensive pasta makers will get 2-3 uses if that.

Edited by Hopeful

I got a Jamie Oliver pasta maker a couple of years ago.  It's unused.  When the fuck do I get time to 'make pasta from scratch.

The wife is out now - shopping.  Shops here will shut next week so are open now.  I shudder at the amount of landfill she buys.  'But it's Christmas'.  Fucking nonsense.

5 minutes ago, NewryH said:

I got a Jamie Oliver pasta maker a couple of years ago.  It's unused.  When the fuck do I get time to 'make pasta from scratch.

The wife is out now - shopping.  Shops here will shut next week so are open now.  I shudder at the amount of landfill she buys.  'But it's Christmas'.  Fucking nonsense.

My lad bought me one a couple of years ago.

It was a nice thought.

As was the vegetable ribbon maker thingy.

I have asked for a new baking tray this year. That at least will be useful.

48 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

Buy her a mary berry cook book, im sure theres one that shows how to make pasta by hand

53 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

The cheaper pasta makers are junk metal.  They'll last about 2-3 uses, if that, before breaking.

The expensive pasta makers will get 2-3 uses if that.

Yup.  That's the reality behind 'buy smart, buy twice'.

[Ie, enthusiasm is usually greater than ability, so you buy once cheaply, and if you use it enough to wear it out/break it then you buy again but this time buy quality]

11 minutes ago, dgul said:

Yup.  That's the reality behind 'buy smart, buy twice'.

[Ie, enthusiasm is usually greater than ability, so you buy once cheaply, and if you use it enough to wear it out/break it then you buy again but this time buy quality]

Exactly my thinking when I bought a deep fat fryer of the local page last week for a tenner.

If I use it more than a few times I will buy a decent one.

Just stop buying presents?

Or agree on a cash sum with which each of you can buy yourself sthing you really like/want?

Christmas is cancelled for us as all our close family members live in other countries in Europe and just now (this evening) we made the decision to not travel abroad - none of us. Too uncertain and hard to plan for. 

So everyone is staying at home this Christmas -  there will be no family gatherings!

I am actually quite happy about this. It will be just us two here, plus the dogs. So we can treat Christmas as a normal day! And do whatever we like!

Rural. Two neighbours within walking distance.

One lot are in the UK already to be with their family - they will be back in Jan.

Other lot are not speaking to us! 

So there's practically zero chance of being disturbed by ppl wishing us a Joyeux Noel!

We haven't done presents since the kids were little and we stopped doing cards about 2 decades prior to that. It feels great.

Presents just made me feel stressed. What to get for others. And getting stuff I didn't want/like and couldn't get rid of. 

Of course, shops need ppl to buy things at Christmas so my approach is less positive for business? But less wasteful? 

Even poor ppl who would benefit from charity or generosity at Christmas would probably still rather choose for themselves?  (Why would we choose for them?)

So cash is the most useful gift IMO.  Or giving ppl physical help or a service. Or sthing second hand which means nothing was purchased specifically as a gift. 

Of course, I know that we are very lucky in that we don't actually need anything and that we can just buy what small things we want, whether it's Christmas or not.

We have also got to that age where we are less impressed by material presents. 

Happiness to us now is our health, good relationships, a safe shelter, enough warmth ... and then some nice (but not excessive amounts of) food & drink!  

Edited by whocares

A pasta machine is a glorified rolling pin replacement.. it would speed the process up,  but isn’t necessary.

However,  if your wife wants one,  and it’s not too expensive..  I’d buy it.   

Simply on the basis of “Happy wife, happy life”.

I would however stipulate (if your kitchen is already full of pointless garbage) that if you buy it,  something else from the kitchen has to go to make room for it. 

Just bought the Missus a new Sony mobile on Giff Gaff in a black Friday deal. She is not a big mobile phone user but her old one is about 5 years old and a bit shit so hopefully she'll like it, if she doesn't like it I don't really care.

Edited by Mr Miyagi