Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Udemy (Online Learning Platform) Black Friday Sale


Recommended Posts

Just in case anyone wants to learn something new during the lockdown:

https://www.udemy.com/

Sale ends in 2 days.

Was tempted to buy a couple of tech courses but then again that might just result in me being given more work in my job ;)

Haven't had the time to look at non tech courses but if anyone digs anything interesting up feel free to post it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

Ah that’s good to know! I knew the sales were quite frequent but didn’t realise they were year round!

I've done a few courses from there, always 9.99 apart from a couple of months ago they all seemed to go to 14.99, but when I last looked a couple of weeks ago it was back to 9.99 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they are great all round but for something say like trying to learn python (I tried various online stuff a couple of years ago albeit maybe programming just isn't for me or I didn't have a good enough reason to learn) I found that it's super difficult without having someone on hand to explain things.

I think it was some kind of  'nested loop' that finished me off.  Super simple no doubt but similar to maths IMO you either get it or you don't.  But once a simple problem that previously was complete brick wall, is explained one on one a light bulb flashes and you instantly get.

Just having a moan into the wind I guess, people's mileage differs and there are probably plenty of other subjects I could complete without feeling like I'm wasting too much time alone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

I think they are great all round but for something say like trying to learn python (I tried various online stuff a couple of years ago albeit maybe programming just isn't for me or I didn't have a good enough reason to learn) I found that it's super difficult without having someone on hand to explain things.

I think it was some kind of  'nested loop' that finished me off.  Super simple no doubt but similar to maths IMO you either get it or you don't.  But once a simple problem that previously was complete brick wall, is explained one on one a light bulb flashes and you instantly get.

Just having a moan into the wind I guess, people's mileage differs and there are probably plenty of other subjects I could complete without feeling like I'm wasting too much time alone.

Learning to program is 95% about practical examples, not theory.  If you've got a reason to actually do the practical examples (work) it is much easier to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dgul said:

Learning to program is 95% about practical examples, not theory.  If you've got a reason to actually do the practical examples (work) it is much easier to do.

Definitely, still not convinced would be suitable for me but won't write off trying in future.  Did think if I had a job where I could have incorporated it would have maybe worked, but as I don't the only thing I could come up with was trying to write something that would track the historical (and going forward) prices of various supermarket goods to see what in relation to other things is cheap or expensive...ie extreme example bananas super expensive early 20th c but now next to nothing.

I salute those that can just pick up and learn the language with only a small idea, doesn't seem to be me

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dogtania said:

 

I think it was some kind of  'nested loop' that finished me off.  Super simple no doubt but similar to maths IMO you either get it or you don't.  But once a simple problem that previously was complete brick wall, is explained one on one a light bulb flashes and you instantly get.

 

Try going back to it, you might be pleasantly surprised at how your mind has been digesting it subconsciously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Any courses of his in particular you reccomend?

I've done "Modern React with Redux" as I had a specific need for that (new job).

I like the look of "The Complete React Native + Hooks Course" as I've never done mobile app dev so learning that seems interesting.

Really depends where your interest is, it's all very javascripty and not for everybody, but I think it's a good way to expand your horizons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dogtania said:

Definitely, still not convinced would be suitable for me but won't write off trying in future.  Did think if I had a job where I could have incorporated it would have maybe worked, but as I don't the only thing I could come up with was trying to write something that would track the historical (and going forward) prices of various supermarket goods to see what in relation to other things is cheap or expensive...ie extreme example bananas super expensive early 20th c but now next to nothing.

I salute those that can just pick up and learn the language with only a small idea, doesn't seem to be me

I've said on a few occasions to my son that times are more difficult for him re. programming.

'in the olden days' you didn't have any choice.  Sure, you could play computer games, but if you actually wanted to do pretty much anything 'real world' you had to write your own program to do it.  You'd start by typing in programs out of computer magazines, then migrate to simple programs.  Even the classic 'first thing to do with a new computer' was programming -- 10 print "Robert is a Mong"    20 goto 10.  I recall writing a simple RLE decompressor*, painstakingly hand digitising a big-tittie nudie picture and then popping the data and code to decompress it on a tape and distributing to mates (happy days).  But I had to do that, because I couldn't (eg) just send an easily found jpeg and then assume that of course they'd be able to decompress it.

These days you can do anything you like without touching programming -- worse than that, all the stuff out there on the internet means that there's always something somewhere (but easily found) that'll do what you want (eg, RobertIsAMong)

Sure, there's lots of resources available to help with programming, but virtually no reason to actually learn, other than cash (and it is a long way from beginner to 'earning money', so no surprise that people give up early).

[* this sounds nicely complicated, but if you actually know what a RLE decompressor is you'll realise that it is trivially simple]

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you visit their site, also try incognito mode. They quite often give different deals compared to when you are logged in.

If you've bought a course from them before, sometimes the only way to get the best deal is to sign up with another email address.

Edited by fooked
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...