DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

asset prices during inflation

macca

Strange question maybe?

I want to buy a new motorbike, Motorbike prices have doubled since i bought my honda repsol fireblade in 2007 for £7000, they are over £22'000 now for the base model, only good thing was after 7 years of ownership I sold my blade for £5500.. and now they are going for the same as new prices due to being a 1 year special model.

Same with cars, VW polo SE in 2007 £6995, 2020 more like £16'995

The question i have is during inflation, tanking £ with imports from abroad, if i bought a bike now, would the new prices continue to climb or crash because of increased job insecurity?

@MrPin would know about motorcycles specifically.

The huge rise in prices in ordinary models seems to be driven by the ready availability of finance deals meaning that very few individuals actually pay those prices; instead they sign up for three or four years of monthly payments.

Job insecurity is going to reduce the number of people to whom those deals are available and increase the number of price reductions / trade ins for outright buyers.

I can't see a crash in such prices but I can see some reductions via deals.

I don't know why sterling in particular would tank as all the big economies are fairly similar in their debt / GDP ratio.

Just for @Frank Hovis. the top selling over 125cc motorcycle is currently the Enfield 650 (made in India), at just over £5k, pleasantly bereft of tech tat. It's just a motorcycle. A Honda GoldWing will set you back about £25k, but comes with every gadget you can think of, that you probably don't need. That's a shocking price.

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Motorbikes/cars are not assets. They are liabilities.

That's not strictly true, only if they are bought new, buying for everyday use or you don't know what you are buying.

You have to exclude collectors fodder from that and I don't mean Triumph Heralds or Spifires.

4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

That's not strictly true, only if they are bought new, buying for everyday use or you don't know what you are buying.

You have to exclude collectors fodder from that and I don't mean Triumph Heralds or Spifires.

Im unconvinced.

The figures dont add up once you add the cost of storage and maintenance for a classic bike or car

7 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Im unconvinced.

The figures dont add up once you add the cost of storage and maintenance for a classic bike or car

The people I know with them have garages on there houses.I worked with a guy who had a blown up cosworth from the 90s (when he drove it)it was just left in an out building it was still going up in value so he claimed .spitfires can be got for 2/3k it’s certain cars not every old car

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

The people I know with them have garages on there houses.I worked with a guy who had a blown up cosworth from the 90s it was just left in an out building it was still going up in value so he claimed .spitfires can be got for 2/3k it’s certain cars not every old car

Its completely down to rarity, charisma and style, tick those boxes and it doesn't need to be maintained, just stored and a dry garage will do. Done it with a car I picked up as an MOT failure for £300 in 1987 and sold in 1998 for £3500 with the added bonus of using it for 10 years. Unfortunately if I had kept it would have been worth at least £12K but I didn't as I had kids and no space.

If I had left it in the garden to rot it would have still been worth £3K and I have evidence.

1193084640_Screenshotfrom2020-11-2608-39-41.png.2a2a2ef3c51e3b504bbb2a7c7043a740.png

2011660983_Screenshotfrom2020-11-2608-43-36.png.70e82b128c1ad5945fd87d3eafd181e5.png

sleepwello'nights

The body shop that is repairing my car have some interesting vehicles being worked on.

A recent job is a 1950's Lancia Aurelia. It has to be taken back to bare metal, some rust has been dealt with, and resprayed. Cost of the work will be in the region of £20-30k. 

I looked online to see prices of similar vehicles. They range from £100k to £350k. 

The owner will have seen an appreciation in value over his period of ownership. Mind you given where he lives and the other vehicles in his collection I doubt he'll notice it.

13 hours ago, macca said:

I want to buy a new motorbike

#metoo

but I want to go to India where they are dirt cheap ie the newly revised GS310 pair from Bmw which have always been 'Made in India' start about £2500 brand new......UK £5000-5500....

I imported a few new cars from Europe circa 20 years ago when the £ was about 1.6 to the Euro and they were chirpy cheap cheap....

OR try copart for something cheap

You're off your tits buying new in UK :P

12 hours ago, MrPin said:

Just for @Frank Hovis. the top selling over 125cc motorcycle is currently the Enfield 650 (made in India), at just over £5k, pleasantly bereft of tech tat. It's just a motorcycle. A Honda GoldWing will set you back about £25k, but comes with every gadget you can think of, that you probably don't need. That's a shocking price.

https://www.itchyboots.com/about

Shes hot n has a moteybikey, which she can fix.

19 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

@MrPin would know about motorcycles specifically.

The huge rise in prices in ordinary models seems to be driven by the ready availability of finance deals meaning that very few individuals actually pay those prices; instead they sign up for three or four years of monthly payments.

Job insecurity is going to reduce the number of people to whom those deals are available and increase the number of price reductions / trade ins for outright buyers.

I can't see a crash in such prices but I can see some reductions via deals.

I don't know why sterling in particular would tank as all the big economies are fairly similar in their debt / GDP ratio.

UK debt increased 19% of GDP £550 billion

Economy shrank 11.3%

Meanwhile Australia has had no new Covid cases, China, Taiwan, new Zealand,Vietnam, Mongolia etc etc .. No Covid.. Its like Boris is fucking the economy, stealing all the money and pretending to try and stop the virus whilst letting it spread to inject us with an untested vaccine.. 

Least that's what it looks like.. 

18 hours ago, spygirl said:

Motorbikes/cars are not assets. They are liabilities.

With all the money printing they are.. I bought some old Honda's for £250 each about 12 years ago.. Worth about £1500 to £2000 now.. 

I did not buy them for profit.. But anything that is not money is going up, or money is going down.. 

I wonder what happens to petrol classic car prices when all the road charging comes in for polluting vehicles

ULEZ etc will make most of my bikes worthless..

That's why i'm looking at a 2017 bike with Euro 4

might get a few years before they ban that as well..

Just wondered if BMW bikes priced in Euros would go up in price, not down as we exit the EU and have fucked the economy to death by killing all the small business and stealing all the money for Tories mates..

with the money I save having a crappy low power car (insurance + petrol) each month, I can hire a 4x4 for two days a month.  In fact, we did recently so we could have a mini road trip in style.

It's a no brainer.

Archived