DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Knocked off cyclist

Doing a few laps in the park. Zoned out. Swooped out to pass some walkers blocking the track and there was a cyclist coming right at me. Somehow managed to pass through the gap that I didn't think was there, but could see the cyclist out of the corner of my eye, going over the handlebars. Must have panicked and slammed on the brakes.

She was probably mid 40s, quite trim, almost sporty. Took it quite well. A little dazed. Bloody knee and torn tights. She'll probably have a sore knee for a few days and maybe be a bit nervous about going out next time.

I feel quite bad about it, and although I'm sorry for her, I really just hate thinking i'm the sort of inconsiderate road user who knocks over old ladies. It's funny because on the one hand I normally try to be extra considerate and give way if there's any doubt, but once I'm doing laps, I hate having to slow down and re-accelerate. I think I overcompensate for the times when I'm too unassertive, and end up passive-aggressive. I just don't seem to have good judgement about risk. And i have a problem that when I spot a potential danger, I fixate on that until it's passed, then sometimes there's a further danger that I failed to anticipate.

Oh well, time to switch over to running for the winter.

Edited by steppensheep

Google maps often routes me through parks on my bike, though I'm learning to ignore it and find other ways round now. I always ride with extreme caution as other park users simply aren't expecting bikes to be there for whatever reason, even if there's a big bike symbol painted on the path.

So although you should be more careful, she also should have been more alert to the danger.

I wouldn't stress about it, sounds more like 50/50 to me.

She should also have had some awareness of oncoming hazards and the fact that she jammed the anchors on and ended up going over the handlebars rather than being able to take evasive action suggests she either wasn't paying adequate attention, wasn't riding to the conditions (busy path with multiple users) or was just another inexperienced new cyclist lacking in basic proficiency (who's numbers have proliferated with lockdown and furlough)

Probably all of the above.

4 hours ago, Royston said:

I wouldn't stress about it, sounds more like 50/50 to me.

She should also have had some awareness of oncoming hazards and the fact that she jammed the anchors on and ended up going over the handlebars rather than being able to take evasive action suggests she either wasn't paying adequate attention, wasn't riding to the conditions (busy path with multiple users) or was just another inexperienced new cyclist lacking in basic proficiency (who's numbers have proliferated with lockdown and furlough)

Probably all of the above.

This. She'd probably fail a basic bicycle proficiency test. There's really no excuse for going over the handlebars when braking. Brace your arms before braking ffs! 

Funniest one I ever saw was the guy at the trail centre who had climbed 3 miles to the top of the hill on the 'new' bike he had bought off his mate lying on the floor.

He sat up, I said you alright, he says I don't understand it, I just used the brake and went straight over the bars.

I said that's weird, are you not used to hydraulic brakes and picked his bike up for him.

It didn't look right when I put the bars straight, I looked down and said.

You have got the forks on backwards...

I enjoy riding my bike.

But I fucking hate cyclists.

The speed at which they weave through people walking on the pavement is getting worse and worse. I've had several near-misses.

I was walking through a park about 5 years ago when a cyclist who wasn't looking where he was going crashed straight into me at quite high speed, sending him over the handlebars and knocking me over. Thankfully he was a wee tiny chinese fella so I escaped with a week off work and what I suspect were just badly bruised ribs that were very painful for a week and required that I didn't move much. Had he been a big 200 pound bruiser of a bloke I'd have been very badly injured indeed.

Edited by JoeDavola
14 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I enjoy riding my bike.

The speed at which they weave through people walking on the pavement is getting worse and worse. I've had several near-misses.

I was walking through a park about 5 years ago when a cyclist who wasn't looking where he was going crashed straight into me at quite high speed, sending him over the handlebars and knocking me over. Thankfully he was a wee tiny chinese fella so I escaped with a week off work and what I suspect were just badly bruised ribs that were very painful for a week and required that I didn't move much. Had he been a big 200 pound bruiser of a bloke I'd have been very badly injured indeed.

Only one thing worse than cyclists. 

Women on the school run driving range rovers who are 'Entitled' to park on the restrictions because they are 'only there a minute'. 

20 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I enjoy riding my bike.

A common thing I see now when out on my bike is idiots barreling along with one hand on the handlebars, and the other holding their phone up in front of them. It's like it's glued to their fucking hand or something.

xD