DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The laws of genetics with regard to eye colour

I've been watching The Bridge series 4 and in her customary brash style Saga Noren told a bloke that he couldn't be the father of his child because of his eye colour. I think she said 2 blue eyed parents cannot produce a brown eyed child. It's something I'd never considered, apparently there is a 1% chance it could happen. The wife confessed she had played away!

There are some 0% combinations:

spacer.png

https://www.familyeducation.com/what-are-the-chances-my-baby-will-have-blue-eyes-a-genetic-explanation

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This guy mistakenly accused his wife of playing around when he noticed his son's eyes were brown.  

I didn't even realise that there was an outside chance. Though I do remember Rick in biology class putting up his hand when dominant and recessive genes were explained to ask why he had brown eye

Bunch of bigots. Eye colour is a social construct, everyone knows that.

Posted Images

That two blue eyed parents can't have anything other than a blue eyed kid was what I was told in Biology in school.

Apparently it's actually a bit more complex that a simple individual dominant/recessive gene, and it's another one of those things they tell you in school that isn't actually true.

xD

I wonder how many relationships this eye colour gene myth has destroyed.

The Fount of All Truthiness states:

The genetics and inheritance of eye color in humans is complicated. So far, as many as 15 genes have been associated with eye color inheritance. Some of the eye-color genes include OCA2 and HERC2.[9] The earlier belief that blue eye color is a simple recessive trait has been shown to be incorrect. The genetics of eye color are so complex that almost any parent-child combination of eye colors can occur.[10][11] However, OCA2 gene polymorphism, close to proximal 5′ regulatory region, explains most human eye-color variation

39 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I've been watching The Bridge series 4 and in her customary brash style Saga Noren told a bloke that he couldn't be the father of his child because of his eye colour. I think she said 2 blue eyed parents cannot produce a brown eyed child. It's something I'd never considered, apparently there is a 1% chance it could happen. The wife confessed she had played away!

There are some 0% combinations:

spacer.png

https://www.familyeducation.com/what-are-the-chances-my-baby-will-have-blue-eyes-a-genetic-explanation

My eyes are green. My dad's are blue. My mum's are brown.

Or are they? xD

2 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I read a couple of articles about it and this was the one that said blue + blue had a 1% chance of brown

https://www.babymed.com/tools/baby-eye-color-calculator-predictor?p1=Blue&p2=Blue

I read a book that went into it in some detail, and pointed out that the specific gene combinations are generally assumed to be equally distributed for those likelihood calculations. But clearly that is not the case, it will surprise no-one that 19% of the next generation of North Korean children won’t be born with blue eyes even though both parents having brown eyes in the chart in the OP suggesting they should.

The actual chances of 2 blue eyed parents having a brown eyed kid are significantly more remote, although it is technically possible.