DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Ampleforth abuse scandal (and i guess a thread on public schools in general)

Government have to,d them they cannot recruit any new pupils

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/ampleforth-college-history-public-school-known-catholic-eton-it-ordered-stop-taking-new-pupils-3050843

the campus, occupying its own valley deep in the North Yorkshire countryside, could fall silent after the government ordered Ampleforth to stop admitting new pupils, putting its future viability in doubt.

The co-educational boarding school has never recovered from the damage to its reputation caused by the convictions of former monks who taught there for sexual offences against pupils. 

An inquiry into historic child sexual abuse at the school that concluded in 2018 found there was a widespread culture of tolerance of the behaviour and that the monks of Ampleforth Abbey were 'evasive' with police and social services when suspicions were raised about members of the order.

would you send your child to one of these places? 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/ampleforth-college-history-public-school-known-catholic-eton-it-ordered-stop-taking-new-pupils-3050843

the campus, occupying its own valley deep in the North Yorkshire countryside, could fall silent after the government ordered Ampleforth to stop admitting new pupils, putting its future viability in doubt.

The co-educational boarding school has never recovered from the damage to its reputation caused by the convictions of former monks who taught there for sexual offences against pupils. 

An inquiry into historic child sexual abuse at the school that concluded in 2018 found there was a widespread culture of tolerance of the behaviour and that the monks of Ampleforth Abbey were 'evasive' with police and social services when suspicions were raised about members of the order.

No. But primarily because it is the alma mater of James O'Brien.

Anywhere that can produce that kind of person needs to be given a very wide berth.

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Depends how much the little monster is pissing me off.

"Keep that up and its a weekend with the monks for you":Old:

Edited by GBDamo

In my experience, school was a nasty place where both teachers and pupils doing nasty things was an everyday thing. Part of the fabric like the dust in the corridors.

Put people in a boarding school environment and I can see it being hell, with nowhere and no times to escape. Become like Flashman or die would seem to be the rule.

Just now, Melchett said:
Edited by Melchett
3 minutes ago, Melchett said:

In my experience, school was a nasty place where both teachers and pupils doing nasty things was an everyday thing. Part of the fabric like the dust in the corridors.

Put people in a boarding school environment and I can see it being hell, with nowhere and no times to escape. Become like Flashman or die would seem to be the rule.

Kids are growing up. They get a pass.

The adult, however, are growing more perverted.

Id never sent my under 18 age kids off to a weird place in middle of nowhere, staffed by monks.

Just to play devil's advocate here...

In the current climate, no problem at all. Because you can be sure they will now have taken steps to tick all the boxes to ensure that they're not seen as an easy target by a paedophile.

I'd be far more suspicious of a trendy establishment that has lots to say about tolerance, but doesn't actually have a clear safeguarding policy.

I'll just add one more thing. If you see any organisation which seems pretty strong on promoting its safeguarding credentials, look deeper to see what evidence there is of past scandal they are reacting to...

I knew a chap years ago that had attended Ampleforth who was a lovely fellow but seriously messed up, never sure if it was his family or schooling that had pushed him over the edge and couldn't get much out of him about the school, which had the same reputation 30 years ago.

My experience of 'inappropriate relations' at public schools in the nineties as they went coeducational was predominately male teacher > sixth form girls. IIRC none of the teachers lost their jobs, in fact I'm fairly sure one of them is now the headmaster of a top tier public school. Wouldn't be in the least surprised if there were homosexual pupil - teacher relations, but wasn't aware of it. Prep schools with young children boarding and away from their parents for weeks at a time must be vulnerable to predators.

Boarding school is a laugh for teenagers because they get to live with their mates and largely left to their own devices, but it's screwed up sending younger children to boarding school when they should be around their family in their own homes. Public school educational standards  were reasonable 30 years ago, but not worth the fees they are charging today. Personally and with the benefit of hindsight I would have been far better of to have been better off dropped in a menial job at 16 and told to get on with finding something better.

3 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

My experience of 'inappropriate relations' at public schools in the nineties as they went coeducational was predominately male teacher > sixth form girls. IIRC none of the teachers lost their jobs, in fact I'm fairly sure one of them is now the headmaster of a top tier public school.

And don't forget Chris Woodhead - former Chief Inspector of Schools; who absolutely, categorically didn't shag a girl he taught until long after she'd left school and his marriage had irretrievably broken down - at least, that was the official story until after his death....

3 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

And don't forget Chris Woodhead - former Chief Inspector of Schools; who absolutely, categorically didn't shag a girl he taught until long after she'd left school and his marriage had irretrievably broken down - at least, that was the official story until after his death....

Woodhead dead?  Couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke.  

29 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

Public school educational standards  were reasonable 30 years ago, but not worth the fees they are charging today.

I knew a guy that had 4 kids at Ampleforth some 30 years ago.

He reckoned is was costing him the best part of £100k a year even back then.

17 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I knew a guy that had 4 kids at Ampleforth some 30 years ago.

He reckoned is was costing him the best part of £100k a year even back then.

Its 37k/y boarder today.

About ~70k of earned income.

4 kids - ~300k today

I remember hearing a sum that along of the lines of ~5k/y in the early 80s.

For the figures involved now it would be much better to invest the fees and sent the kid to a reasonable state school.

Or pay for your own tutor.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, I was going to post the same. 

I knew a couple of very posh guys from there at college.  It's the absolute top school if you are Roman Catholic.

Did they have extreme piles?

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Its 37k/y boarder today.

About ~70k of earned income.

4 kids - ~300k today

I remember hearing a sum that along of the lines of ~5k/y in the early 80s.

For the figures involved now it would be much better to invest the fees and sent the kid to a reasonable state school.

Or pay for your own tutor.

Did they have extreme piles?

It depends what you think is the purpose of school. 

Obviously it's manifold in one sense from child care to allow mothers to work to fuel the property ponzi to providing bits of paper that allow entry into jobs or colleges.

The top public schools however are a place where contacts and social bonds are formed that can lead to tremendous success in life; though it's not just the going there on a scholarship.  It's the going there and being from a wealthy family amongst other boys from wealthy families where the real benefit lies.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It depends what you think is the purpose of school. 

Obviously it's manifold in one sense from child care to allow mothers to work to fuel the property ponzi to providing bits of paper that allow entry into jobs or colleges.

The top public schools however are a place where contacts and social bonds are formed that can lead to tremendous success in life; though it's not just the going there on a scholarship.  It's the going there and being from a wealthy family amongst other boys from wealthy families where the real benefit lies.

It is also where you send your children to have a proper upbringing, because you don't know how to give your child a proper upbringing (as part of a family unit) because you were only exposed to the variant of 'what a proper upbringing means' that you find in private education.