Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Cycling


SpectrumFX

Recommended Posts

I've decided to take up cycling. Not in a lycra clad midlife crisis racing sort of way, but in a bimbling about from place to place sort of way. I've bought a bike off eBay, and picked it up today. The ride home was my first go on a bike for twenty years or more. I managed not to fall off xD

I'm thinking about riding to work, and will probably need to lock the bike up.

What sort of lock should I buy? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I've decided to take up cycling. Not in a lycra clad midlife crisis racing sort of way, but in a bimbling about from place to place sort of way. I've bought a bike off eBay, and picked it up today. The ride home was my first go on a bike for twenty years or more. I managed not to fall off xD

I'm thinking about riding to work, and will probably need to lock the bike up.

What sort of lock should I buy? 

You think you will be just bimbling around. I give it two weeks before you are dressed like this:

 

IMG_0770.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, One percent said:

You think you will be just bimbling around. I give it two weeks before you are dressed like this:

 

IMG_0770.JPG

I don't really get the point of it all to be honest. I was quite happy today in my normal trousers.

If I do get the Lycra bug I'll be sure to put up a ludicrous photo, so you can all mock me xD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Masked Tulip

Type of lock depends on where you are locking it up in work. Weight of the lock you are carting to and from work is also a consideration. Could you leave the lock at your place of work - you often see locks left at cycle racks - with people returning to a particular rack daily.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Type of lock depends on where you are locking it up in work. Weight of the lock you are carting to and from work is also a consideration. Could you leave the lock at your place of work - you often see locks left at cycle racks - with people returning to a particular rack daily.

 

There's a rack at the back of my office, which is in an area open to the public, but is only used by the odd bicycle, so that is an option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Masked Tulip

The krytonite locks, as in that above video, are considered very good. However, they are heavy to carry on the bike every day. The smaller the lock the better they are considered because they are harder to get something in or around them to break them. But the smaller the lock the harder they are to put around the bike and the bike rack.

In my part of the world lots of the bike racks are quite thick metal tubes - many too thick to put one of those locks around so I use a chain. How thick a diameter is the tube of the bike rack you are using daily. That will determine the type of lock you buy.

Wiggle have a sale on the locks at the moment - good reviews. This two might be good for you - you will need to read the reviews to determine which size is best.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kryptonite-evolution-series-4-u-lock-with-flexframe-bracket/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kryptonite-evolution-mini-7-lock-and-4-foot-kryptoflex-cable/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fully Detached

Also weigh up how much the bike is worth because you can spend a ridiculous amount on a lock.

Good for you though - I got into it about 6-7 years ago after giving up smoking and getting bored of walking. On a decent warm sunny day you can't beat cycling along country lanes and enjoying the views.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

What sort of lock should I buy? 

bear in mind that all locks  can be cut / broken in about 2 minutes so you have to weigh up the value of your bike with the level of protection the lock gives. Those big, heavy chains bike couriers use are particularly weak. I would recommend something like the Abus 410 mini D lock and an additional cable. If you can park your bike above ground level so a thief can't use the floor as  a support for bolt croppers he'll probably go to the next bike.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Masked Tulip

Most Abus are made in Germany apparently so it would help, um, the German economy. The Kryptonites are made in China.

Abus are highly respected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If private rack at work you don't have to worry about the weight of the lock and might as well go beefy if the bike is worth nicking, just leave the lock attached to the work rack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tips.

After much reading of reviews, I've just ordered a KRYPTONITE EVOLUTION MINI 7.

I'll be back in the saddle as soon as my new bike pump arrives. It turns out that my tyres have Presta valves, which I'd never heard of, and I turned my slightly flat front tyre into a fully flat tyre in my bemused experimenting with the valve and a standard bike pump.xD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cosmic Apple

If its a decent enough bike that you have insurance (I add mine to my contents), check what lock you need. My insurance specifies minimum standards and I bought a suitable one for £23. Don't know about carrying it about as I don't, I ride to work where I leave my lock, at home it goes in the shed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

If its a decent enough bike that you have insurance (I add mine to my contents), check what lock you need. My insurance specifies minimum standards and I bought a suitable one for £23. Don't know about carrying it about as I don't, I ride to work where I leave my lock, at home it goes in the shed.

I got it for just under £100, so I'm not that bothered about the value of it.

I don't like the idea of someone stealing my stuff though, and I imagine that it's really fucking annoying to park up somewhere and come back to find your bike's been half inched.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2017 at 21:56, SpectrumFX said:

I got it for just under £100, so I'm not that bothered about the value of it.

I don't like the idea of someone stealing my stuff though, and I imagine that it's really fucking annoying to park up somewhere and come back to find your bike's been half inched.

 

I was staying in a 5 star hotel last week - what the European's call a "Palace" and some thieving pikey nob nicked my bike pump from the luggage room... and some other cunt scratched the brand new paint on my frame with his or her pedal.

So yeah, you can never be too careful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Austin Allegro

I have a bike which looks old and knackered but is a good quality touring bike. The average thicko bike thief chav only wants something new and shiny, so I just use a cheap lightweight lock as a deterrent against nuisance-thieves (drunk students etc). 

If you're not into lycra, check out the 'slow bicycle movement' on the internet. It's a loose online community of people who like relaxed 'utility' cycling, as a cheap and healthy means of getting around, rather than a competitive sport. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...