DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Colgate seeks durham van traveller

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's lying. The husband clearly went out for tapas with six mates and left her sleeping at the top of the mountain alongside her younger siblings. When he came back, she had disappeared. 

1600 GMT is 1700 on the mountain she was on.  Night would be falling.  Temps dropping.  Very easy to get hypothermia without realising in such situations - disorientating and confusion, leading to dan

Very strange this one.  The couple do a ‘big story’ for the BBC and it airs a week ago. 7 days later the wife does missing. Another ‘big story’. That is just too coincidental.  I r

Posted Images

1600 GMT is 1700 on the mountain she was on.  Night would be falling.  Temps dropping.  Very easy to get hypothermia without realising in such situations - disorientating and confusion, leading to danger.

I hope she's OK - anyone that does hillwalking is good by me - but I'd class it as out too late in the wrong area at the wrong time of year.

4 minutes ago, wherebee said:

1600 GMT is 1700 on the mountain she was on.  Night would be falling.  Temps dropping.  Very easy to get hypothermia without realising in such situations - disorientating and confusion, leading to danger.

I hope she's OK - anyone that does hillwalking is good by me - but I'd class it as out too late in the wrong area at the wrong time of year.

Yes no idea if she had a long walk down ahead of her or whether the road passes close to the peak, don’t know the place, but that’s late to be up really high in November, Google says 2738m which is high and cold, and suggests no nearby road. 

I’ve had a couple of scary moments in the past in the Alps at lower altitudes than that, picking your way down tricky steep paths using a head lamp and/or phone torch isn’t funny. Get up earlier!

On top of a mountain at 4pm or posted photo at 4pm of her on top of a mountain? - doesn't look like it's about to get dark in that photo.

No idea of the location of the first photo in relation to the second photo.

The snow looks fairly old to me.

I would be more concerned about lack of water up there, it looks very dry.

Yeah. I saw the original feature on TOS:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54842438

What a heart warming story.

Couple enslave renters so they can piss around:

The idea of packing up your possessions to live life on the open road has its appeal, but the practicalities put a lot of people off actually doing it. Six years ago, after one of them nearly died and both were diagnosed with depression, Dan Colegate, 38, and Esther Dingley, 37, swapped their careers and a permanent home for motoring through the mountains, valleys and coastlines of Europe.

In January 2014, Dan and Esther appeared to have a good life.

They had a nice flat in the picturesque cathedral city of Durham, multiple degrees from universities including Oxford and Cambridge, flourishing careers and were three weeks away from getting married.

But beneath the surface, both felt hollow inside, like "zombies sleepwalking through life", Esther recalls.

I did check her linkedin. Thread crosses with HE whee lfaling off - a lot of time and money spent in education, then cant hack 2 years of life, so fuck off.

Ms Dingley had been travelling in the couple's camper van while Mr Colegate stayed at a farm in the Gascony area of France.

Great alibi Colgate. Make sure to go to the local pub, get your face seen.

6 hours ago, wherebee said:

By themselves?

At teatime?

34 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Yeah. I saw the original feature on TOS:

What a heart warming story.

Couple enslave renters so they can piss around:

The idea of packing up your possessions to live life on the open road has its appeal, but the practicalities put a lot of people off actually doing it. Six years ago, after one of them nearly died and both were diagnosed with depression, Dan Colegate, 38, and Esther Dingley, 37, swapped their careers and a permanent home for motoring through the mountains, valleys and coastlines of Europe.

In January 2014, Dan and Esther appeared to have a good life.

They had a nice flat in the picturesque cathedral city of Durham, multiple degrees from universities including Oxford and Cambridge, flourishing careers and were three weeks away from getting married.

But beneath the surface, both felt hollow inside, like "zombies sleepwalking through life", Esther recalls.

I did check her linkedin. Thread crosses with HE whee lfaling off - a lot of time and money spent in education, then cant hack 2 years of life, so fuck off.

Ms Dingley had been travelling in the couple's camper van while Mr Colegate stayed at a farm in the Gascony area of France.

Great alibi Colgate. Make sure to go to the local pub, get your face seen.

Are they not shut coz covid?

Very strange this one. 

The couple do a ‘big story’ for the BBC and it airs a week ago.

7 days later the wife does missing. Another ‘big story’.

That is just too coincidental. 

I reckon they are in it together and he is hiding her under the sofa bed in the van - where she is living off fizzy pop and wotsits.  

47 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Looks like they're genuinely living the dosbods dream life (or were in any case). I like them, hopefully she will turn up safe and sound, she's hopefully just run out of phone battery and got a little lost.

My dream life certainly isn't living in a squashed camper driving round closed up countries and climbing mountains in winter :CryBaby:

More like my idea of hell.

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

I just wonder how people like that afford to travel for 6 years? She's 37 so must have started at 31. I'd assume she must have inherited some money.

Again. Massive thread crosser.

https://www.wadham.ox.ac.uk/news/2020/april/choosing-adventure

For the past six years Wadham alumni Dan Colegate (Chemistry, 2000) and Esther Dingley (Economics & Management, 2001) have been touring Europe in a camper-van enjoying an alternative way of life.

No. Esther wanted to, but I (Dan) thought it was too reckless at the time. I refused to consider it and insisted on doing a PhD, getting a job etc. The idea of travelling was too far out of my comfort zone. It was my good fortune that Esther stayed with me, though I didn’t fully realise it at the time. I thought I was being “the sensible one”.

Pair of them were in HE til their late 20s.

Then they settle down, leverage up for house (or gifted it) Than fuck off after less than 5 years 'work'

https://www.instagram.com/healthyadventureswithlove/?hl=en

Adventures in health & happiness. Self-care, wholefoods plant-based living, yoga, meditation. Recovery from ME/CFS
Love. Organic.Bio.Juice. Self-love.

Wonder if a plant based diet and yoga cancels the poor health outcomes of falling off a cliff?

11 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

got a bit high from the lack of air at altitude, suffers from depression, can't face going back to reality, lies down for a nice snooze

:) I’ve overslept before when having a nap at high altitude. Typically after a beer which I’ve carried up and stuck in a lake or nevee to chill.  But always in summer so no issue.

Doing the same in November would be fatal, but you’d have to be a bit strange to want to lie down and sleep in sub-zero temperatures anyway, or  already suffering from hypothermia. 

I’d guess Popuplights has it right - she took the wrong path in the dark and fell down something, and is now under a couple of feet of snow, soon to be a lot more. 

One of the many strange aspects of hypothermia is that towards the end people begin to feel uncomfortably hot and start shedding hat, glove, jackets.

Bill Bryson does a section on it in his Appalachian Trail book.

Sixteen Danish sailors in lifebelts in the North Sea for three hours, all rescued alive, taken into a warm cabin, given a hot drink, all dropped dead.

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

My dream life certainly isn't living in a squashed camper driving round closed up countries and climbing mountains in winter :CryBaby:

More like my idea of hell.

Nah, after a few years, in true mental woman stylee, they picked up a stray dog, so rented a French farm house to bring up the pups...

They reckoned with their savings and rental income from their Durham home they could head off for a year-long adventure. The two fitness fanatics were keen to hike and cycle in some of Europe's most beautiful spots.

One year has become six and counting, with the couple living off a combination of savings, rental income and money earned doing odd jobs.

You might to quare that last statement against the time and money and expesnse they spent in HE. Hes doen a PHD.

Dont worry. Theyve renter scum they can leech off.

In January 2017, Dan and Esther found themselves in San José, a small fishing village of pristine white houses beside the dazzling blue Alboran Sea in southern Spain, enjoying lunch at a cafe with Esther's parents, who had flown out to see how the pair were getting on.

It was the cheese and ham toastie that caught Leela's attention.

I can see this conservation- When the fuck are you going to stop pissing around and get a job to give us a return on all the fucking money youve had off us?

Your mam wants grandkids. Your 37 FFS.

The eight-month-old was a stray, a not uncommon sight in Spain.

This one day found Leela on the cafe's terrace, where Esther and Dan slipped her the remnants of their lunch.

After some deliberation, Dan and Esther decided to give Leela a home - but what they didn't know until they took her to the vet to be checked over was that their new friend was pregnant.

They soon rented a house in the town, where Leela could give birth to her six puppies, and helped the inexperienced mother raise them: Dan and Esther bottle-fed the pups every three hours for several weeks.

Oh Dad, I cant get a job. Ive responsibilities now ...

Why the fuck did you bottle feed fucking puppies????

Se Dan!!! I am maternal!!!

8 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I’ve had a couple of scary moments in the past in the Alps at lower altitudes than that, picking your way down tricky steep paths using a head lamp and/or phone torch isn’t funny. Get up earlier!

I was reading the local paper "American tourist's body found in Alps"

I didn't think any more about it until a few days later I got an email from someone saying "did you see your mate Hank has been found dead in the Alps".

I looked into the story further. Hank (not his real name) had been walking along a trail when a stone the size of a tennis ball had come down the mountain and hit him in the head killing him instantly. (according the the police investigation).

Now Hank wasn't some tourist but was a very experienced mountaineer. He'd climbed Mont Blanc from the town center in Chamonix and skied down the next day back to the the snowline.

So even the most experienced mountaineers can run out of luck. Frequently accidents happen on the way down although one of the most dangerous mountains in France is not some high Alp but the Saleve near you because it has lots of dangerous trails but attracts Sunday walkers.

I also remember a British walker disappeared without a trace on the trans Pyrenees trail a decade or so ago, good spot to do a canoe man.

8 hours ago, wherebee said:

If thats indeed the area she was hiking in it looks pretty barren to me. A comprehensive aerial (heli and drone) and land/ trail search would of found her by now. My money is on disappearance. The first photo looks fairly late judging by the psition of the sun, so it would be a simple ridge walk back to civilisation (i doubt there are any ravines to fall into, ones that are not known anyway)

topp.jpg

Edited by Green Devil