DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As is the Dosbods way, there’s a lot of ponciness on this thread. It’s almost up to the standard of the shaving and coffee machine threads.  As if knives were some kind of mystic object and sharp

The modern Chinese steel is shit. And there isn't anything new that isn't British. Better of buying second hand. 

I started making crude knives about 50 years ago, imitating tool makers and engineers I knew, who, for their own DIY purposes, recycled worn-out large size machine hacksaw blades used for cutting meta

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Had my shity knifes 8 years so are all blunt debating if I should get a semi decent set or sharpen them .I need a sharpener for my french cooks knife I bought 12 months ago which is getting a lot more use nowadays any surgestions 

I went through loads of knife sharpeners. They are all shit.  Get a cheap stone from Amazon and learn how to use it.  And a decent steel.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Whetstones+400\1000&rh=n%3A3968150031&ref=nb_sb_noss

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I went through loads of knife sharpeners. They are all shit.  Get a cheap stone from Amazon and learn how to use it.  And a decent steel.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Whetstones+400\1000&rh=n%3A3968150031&ref=nb_sb_noss

Does that include the Lanksy setup - multiple stones plus a simple guide - mate has one and likes it. the deluxe set is around £50 for original and half that for a copy.

Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpener

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spyderco-Sharpener-Tri-angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpening/dp/B000Q9C4AE/

Quite expensive but gets knives seriously (arguably, dangerously) sharp and requires virtually no skill/angle judgement. Can do other things like scissors and fish-hooks too :)

IMO comparable to what a skilled person can do with a whetstone. Two grades of stone; two sharpening angles depending on whether you want to prioritise razor sharpness or edge resilience.

The only flaw is that the case (which holds the stones at the required angle) is plastic and can crack if you use too much pressure. After many years that happened to mine. Still works as long as I hold it firmly to stop the angles from flexing, and I could repair it if necessary.

18 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Does that include the Lanksy setup - multiple stones plus a simple guide - mate has one and likes it. the deluxe set is around £50 for original and half that for a copy.

Noe just the cheap ones (by reasonable brands). Much better to do it by hand.  If you look after your kitchen knives, i.e. only hand wash, keep in a wooden knife block, not loose in yor draw, and steel regularly, then you only need to sharpen twice a year.  

ive these knives and they are very sharp (or will be when they have had their Christmas sharpen)

https://www.mychefknives.co.uk/919-wusthof-classic

10 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Do you have a flea/bric a brac market near you?

I picked some stones and a steel up at the one near me (old second hand) from a tool bloke, and also some brilliant (also old) Sheffield steel knives for bugger all.

The modern Chinese steel is shit. And there isn't anything new that isn't British. Better of buying second hand. 

20 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Yep even most of the "premium" brands are now selling Chinese steel, it sharpens well enough for demo purposes, but it blunts in no time.
That's just the way things are these days, "quality" is just a marketing buzzword and for every manufacturer making a good quality item for a premium price, there are 3 producing utter shite which retails for the same price.

I think Sabatier might still be made in France, but I bought a used set in 2008, they're a little neglected atm as the missus just doesn't look after them, cutting stuff she shouldn't, putting them in a metal drying rack, using them on granite chopping boards, using them to cut stuff on baking trays, using them to pry open stuff, etc etc etc.
She's driving me nuts at the moment, she literally just broke our washing machine by overloading it, but that's another story for another thread....

Edited by Snark
17 minutes ago, Snark said:

Yep even most of the "premium" brands are now selling Chinese steel, it sharpens well enough for demo purposes, but it blunts in no time.
That's just the way things are these days, "quality" is just a marketing buzzword and for every manufacturer making a good quality item for a premium price, there are 3 producing utter shite which retails for the same price.

I think Sabatier might still be made in France, but I bought a used set in 2008, they're a little neglected atm as the missus just doesn't look after them, cutting stuff she shouldn't, putting them in a metal drying rack, using them on granite chopping boards, using them to cut stuff on baking trays, using them to pry open stuff, etc etc etc.
She's driving me nuts at the moment, she literally just broke our washing machine by overloading it, but that's another story for another thread....

You need to be careful with Sabatier as a "brand".

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/ct/quality-sabatier-kitchen-knives.htm

24 minutes ago, Snark said:

Feel your pain my washing machine was within guarantee sort of. The plumber was putting me a new boiler and heating in who put mine outside and got it stolen had to buy me another he went Argos and put it in lol.he had the paperwork 

I've got the Lansky setup, and it works fine, if you've got the time to do it.

If you can't be arsed to sharpen knives, then Victorinox still make decent stuff. A set like this will get a lot done, and is cheap enough to be disposable.

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-victorinox-swissclassic-vegetable-knife-set-set-of-3-6-7116-32.htm

35 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

You need to be careful with Sabatier as a "brand".

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/ct/quality-sabatier-kitchen-knives.htm

I very much looked into all this when I bought mine, I got the set for £55 with one knife missing, the replacement knife cost £35. The modern version of the same set, has X50CrMoV15 etched into the blade.

I sharpen them on a sharpening stone, then finish them with an MDF wheel on my bench grinder with black polishing wax, by the time they're finished you can shave your arm hairs with them, in all it probably takes 20 minutes per knife.

They're not the best out there, I don't make that claim, they're probably somewhere between high end and mid range, but there is a point where you're just paying for a name, and as I said marketing can often be used to mark up the price on inferior items.

I've never been that sure about the tungsten carbide sharpeners, but a lot of people seem to like them. There's also some of the diamond sharpeners used in the trade, but they're expensive for home use. They've also got the full Victorinox range which are excellent. My parents still use their rosewood handle Victorinox knives that they've had over 50 years and you can still get a good edge on them.

https://www.butchersequipment.co.uk/knives-sharpeners/knife-sharpeners-steels

I'm normally quite good at hands on stuff but absolutely hopeless at knife sharpening and struggle with a stone and steel. Only way I can do a good job is with a leather honing wheel. There's loads of yt videos only how to make and use these or MDF wheels. Only do if you trust yourself to think before doing because there is some potential to gut yourself if the knife is offered to the wheel the wrong way.