DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Dremels

Battenberg

Are they any good?

We keep doing loads of jobs and each time I think we should have one because it would have made it easier.

Does anyone have one or similar they’d recommend?

What sort of job, I think in a lot of cases you'd be better off with a larger mini die grinder type tool. The dremel bits are very  good for very small jobs but they have limitations, the brushes / sanding bits wear downing seconds if tackling anything more than the smallest jobs. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1

Chewing Grass

I got one of these and for the price it is excellent.

I only use the diamond grinding dies and slitting discs on stone & brass and cutting burrs on wood.

Very handy being cordless and for £35 if it lasts more than a year I'm happy and I have had it for 12 months.

https://sabrecut.com/craftmate-cordless-rotary-tool-bs-plug-scmg002uk

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, onlyme said:

What sort of job, I think in a lot of cases you'd be better off with a larger mini die grinder type tool. The dremel bits are very  good for very small jobs but they have limitations, the brushes / sanding bits wear downing seconds if tackling anything more than the smallest jobs. 

I'll agree with this.

IMO, either it is a small job and you're better off with hand-tools, or it is a bigger job and the Dremmel will struggle, ending up with broken bits.

I do use a Dremmel in a stand for fiddly drilling, but even then I'm not convinced and think I'd often be better off doing the job using a proper pillar drill.

11 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'll agree with this.

IMO, either it is a small job and you're better off with hand-tools, or it is a bigger job and the Dremmel will struggle, ending up with broken bits.

I do use a Dremmel in a stand for fiddly drilling, but even then I'm not convinced and think I'd often be better off doing the job using a proper pillar drill.

6mm/ 1/4inch shaft (as found on air and die grinders) opens up the use of Roloc attachments - great for sanding / prep / cleaning with various interchangeable discs. Don't even need a die grinder really - can use the same attachment on a drill set at high speed.  The Roloc attachments seem somewhat expensive until you use them and realise that as they are designed for workshop use the abrasives and resin bonded heads last so much longer. 

• Informative 2

On 29/11/2020 at 15:49, Chewing Grass said:

I got one of these and for the price it is excellent.

I only use the diamond grinding dies and slitting discs on stone & brass and cutting burrs on wood.

Very handy being cordless and for £35 if it lasts more than a year I'm happy and I have had it for 12 months.

https://sabrecut.com/craftmate-cordless-rotary-tool-bs-plug-scmg002uk

That looks ideal actually. Thanks.

Lightly Toasted

I got one of these earlier this year, very happy with it. Dutch company, not sure if they're made there or in China.

https://ferm-diy.com/en/combitool-160w-with-flexible-shaft.html

I paid about £30 on ebay, they seem to have gone up a bit now :(

Definitely get something with a flexible drive shaft if you plan much fine work. It's the difference between holding something akin to a chunky pen, and holding a small drill.

• Agree 1

On 01/12/2020 at 00:31, Lightly Toasted said:

I got one of these earlier this year, very happy with it. Dutch company, not sure if they're made there or in China.

https://ferm-diy.com/en/combitool-160w-with-flexible-shaft.html

I've got a cordless drill and a hot air gun from them, and they both seem well made except they have massively sparky switches. How's yours?

Lidl also do a dremelesque tool or about 20 or 25 quid. Once a year.

Edited by steppensheep
  • Agree 1

Lightly Toasted
13 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

I've got a cordless drill and a hot air gun from them, and they both seem well made except they have massively sparky switches. How's yours?

Doesn't seem to be any sparking/arcing with mine.

I did consider waiting for a Lidl one but the last few models they've offered have been battery powered, for something like this I think mains is preferable. I might pick up one of their accessory boxes at some point.

• Informative 1

12 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Pretty heavy duty (compared to your average dremel), works well.

Don't know why Lidl don't stock a large proportion of their specials year round and run them from a warehouse. They'd make a fortune.

• 1 month later...

I got a cheap lidi / Aldi one a few years back because "handy to have". 

Only thing I've used it for so far is cutting the rusting front grill off a "waterproof" Anker motion+ speaker. 

It took 3 or four grinding disks to make a single slice from one end to the other..  With hind sight I should have just attacked it with a beefy pair of pliars.   It's not been out of the box again since. 

• Informative 1

Carl Fimble
On 09/02/2021 at 07:20, Libspero said:

I got a cheap lidi / Aldi one a few years back because "handy to have". 

Only thing I've used it for so far is cutting the rusting front grill off a "waterproof" Anker motion+ speaker. 

It took 3 or four grinding disks to make a single slice from one end to the other..  With hind sight I should have just attacked it with a beefy pair of pliars.   It's not been out of the box again since. 

That's the first bad thing I've heard about an Anker product, they're good with returns so might have offered a replacement if you'd moaned, which it sounds like you'd have been right to. 

28 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

That's the first bad thing I've heard about an Anker product, they're good with returns so might have offered a replacement if you'd moaned, which it sounds like you'd have been right to. 

The speaker itself is great..  no complaints,   but I bought it to use in the shower due to the high IP rating.

To be fair,  it has been completely waterproof,  but the front grill is just painted mild steel..   it started pouring out orange rush within 6 months.

Removed it..  had no problems since.   Though actually,  I prefer the Soundcore Boost to the Motion+.   Cheaper, doesn’t rust, sounds just as good and is slightly smaller.   We have that one in the bathroom 😁

• Informative 1

Caravan Monster

I've got an ebay China special cordless rotary tool that I bought for doing the dog's nails. To be fair it's lasted a few years but the 9.6v Ni-cd rechargeable battery recently died altogether. The battery pack is just AA cells but they are in a wierd configuration that I can't find online and consensus seems to be that it is a dangerous endeavour to stick some new ones together with solder, so I have wired it up to a 12v battery because that's all I had. Gets the dog's nails done much quicker but the bearing the chuck runs on and the motor are getting quite screechy so it may not be long for this world. Considering making a DIY effort with a decent quality quieter motor because the noise freaks the dog out.