DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Why the constant comparison with Spanish Flu?

maffo

Why does this one particular bug keep cropping up as a supposed example of how deadly CV19 is? can we have a thread that lists all the damp squibs that have come recently?

Sars
Swine Flu
Bird Flu

Etc

11 minutes ago, maffo said:

Why does this one particular bug keep cropping up as a supposed example of how deadly CV19 is? can we have a thread that lists all the damp squibs that have come recently?

Sars
Swine Flu
Bird Flu

Etc

Spanish flu was rather deadly it killed the young a lot of people ie old people were probably immune due to another nasty flu that did the rounds about 1899.look at the population of the uk in 1918/19.and how many it killed .this COVID is fuck all .but it’s actually pneumonia that’s killing people now and then if you wanted to be pedantic 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, maffo said:

It was but it's nothing like covid so far!

Any other pathetic attempts at the Black Death re-run besides what i listed so far?

Well one of my kids has it and my x tested Posative so far she says just groggy and a headache.ps not the mad x this ones 57/8 I think 

Comparing it to Spanish flu means no talk of Hong Kong flu in the late 60s.

Estimates of 30% of the population catching it and 80k dead. No masks, no social distancing, no lockdown.

Back then, the nhs was fit for purpose and didn't need 'protecting'.

Edited by jm51
  • Agree 4

24 minutes ago, jm51 said:

Estimates of 30% of the population catching it and 80k dead. No masks, no social distancing, no lockdown.

It gets worse my daughters supervisor has tested posative so bang goes that nursery class or the whole nursery into quarantine.so that’s an x and a son with it and my daughters in quarantine.the x reports loss of taste a headake and so far ranks flu worse.the son is coughing and has requested an alcohol drop by yours truly.mind he also said it’s improving the taste of his mums cooking 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

21 hours ago, maffo said:

Sars
Swine Flu
Bird Flu

Etc

Having had that one, I can assure it wasn't a damp squib. A nasty proper dose of flu. Judging by reports corona is the damp squib (unless you're in the unlucky 1% that get an adverse reaction /hospitalised). 

Caravan Monster
1 hour ago, Green Devil said:

Having had that one, I can assure it wasn't a damp squib. A nasty proper dose of flu. Judging by reports corona is the damp squib (unless you're in the unlucky 1% that get an adverse reaction /hospitalised). 

+1 swine flu was around 2010 iirc, a mate is convinced he had it. He was actually keeping pigs at the time. Normally a very resilient fellow in his early forties at the time, he was in bed for nearly a month with pneumonia type symptoms. 

Youtuber Wranglerstar reckons he had the covid, certainly sounds like a respiratory infection of some sort. No test, for what they are worth, to 'confirm' but this is what seems to be going around. Unpleasant and frightening but only likely to be fatal for the very frail:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/gkzy-jVa55w/

It is rather clever, IMO.

They keep on pushing a suggestion that viruses are dangerous.  Sure, there's no easy comparison (not least because it was far more dangerous to the young, which is the factor that I'm concerned about -- I think they should declare 'life years lost' rather than simply deaths as it puts things into a better perspective.

Spanish flu was a novel flu-like thing that was very bad, therefore all 'novel flu-like things that suddenly emerge' are very bad.  Thus you think that it has to be eliminated.

Same for the Smallpox facts shoved down throats on multiple mainstream media/news sites -- dissimilar to Covid19 in every way, but the important thing with that one is that it was a 'terrible virus'  and also that mankind was able to eliminate it completely using mass vaccination.  Thus all 'terrible viruses' (which it is, because of the Spanish flu comparison)  can (should) be eliminated through mass vaccination.

And we can ignore the fact that the 'final' Smallpox vaccine took decades to develop because we're cleverer now.  Oh, and we can accept the likes of the many 100's of deaths (let alone chronic conditions) that the Smallpox vaccine caused because a) we're ignoring that part of the equation and b) if anyone thinks slightly about it, it was worth it because Smallpox was a 'terrible disease' (see Spanish flu).

The vaccines might well be safe enough -- might not, we just don't know.  I've not seen any evidence that it'll be possible to eradicate Covid-19 (indeed, most experts that are allowed to voice their opinion on this seem to suggest that we'll just have to live with it.  But they're not allowed much airtime, frankly)

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Green Devil said:

I meant damp squib as in none of them killed millions, like Covid is supposed to any second now......

swiss_democracy_for_all
On 30/11/2020 at 10:46, maffo said:

Sars
Swine Flu
Bird Flu

Etc

They have to use the example of the one "recent" flu that was genuinely dangerous to both people and the economy in order to frighten people.

Covid kills a very low percentage of those it infects, and these are almost but not quite exclusively the old and weak. If we just got on with life the economic effect would have been minimal. Those who lost their elderly or weak relatives would have cried for a bit, and well, that would have been the end of it.

Spanish flu killed mainly the young and strong and a much higher percentage of those it infected - it would have had a devastating effect on the economy if it had been repeated. 

So  - they keep pushing the comparison in the hope that people will think Covid is a threat of the same magnitude as Spanish Flu - the aim being, it appears, to deliberately wreck the economy while blaming it on Covid, with some unpleasant and sinister endgame in mind, which I suspect we're going to start finding out about in 2021.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

On 30/11/2020 at 13:52, jm51 said:

Almost impossible to quantify past pandemics as there was no testing and few lockdowns. The spread of flu was judged purely on people reporting “flu like symptoms” Excess deaths and hospital admissions were the only way of measuring its seriousness. There were far more hospital beds per head of population but very few intensive care units and the population age structure was much younger. In terms of mortality it looks as though the 1957 and 1968 were very similar to Covid19 but given the different factors those pandemics may actually have been worse. Truth is no one knows and people are really just guessing. All sides of the argument tend to cherry pick the facts that suit them and ignore the ones that don’t. My personal view based on looking at the current raw mortality stats is that Covid was very serious in Spring  2020 when the weekly death rate doubled for 4-6 weeks at the peak of the infection cycle but that it is far less of a threat now when the figures are 80% lower. This ties in with some anecdotal evidence from some doctors who think the virus is no longer as virulent though it maybe that the lockdowns have played a part. I personally am a bit sceptical about the latter as the graphs regarding mortality look very similar to past pandemics with the virus running in 8-10 week cycles.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Almost impossible to quantify past pandemics as there was no testing and few lockdowns. The spread of flu was judged purely on people reporting “flu like symptoms” Excess deaths and hospital admissions were the only way of measuring its seriousness. There were far more hospital beds per head of population but very few intensive care units and the population age structure was much younger. In terms of mortality it looks as though the 1957 and 1968 were very similar to Covid19 but given the different factors those pandemics may actually have been worse. Truth is no one knows and people are really just guessing. All sides of the argument tend to cherry pick the facts that suit them and ignore the ones that don’t. My personal view based on looking at the current raw mortality stats is that Covid was very serious in Spring  2020 when the weekly death rate doubled for 4-6 weeks at the peak of the infection cycle but that it is far less of a threat now when the figures are 80% lower. This ties in with some anecdotal evidence from some doctors who think the virus is no longer as virulent though it maybe that the lockdowns have played a part. I personally am a bit sceptical about the latter as the graphs regarding mortality look very similar to past pandemics with the virus running in 8-10 week cycles.

Seen a graph somewhere of deaths for, IIRC, Sweden, going right back to the Spanish Flu, the peak there is visible and obvious, massive. By contrast I think they had their least deadly month ever during the recent pandemic.

Might be in here somewhere.

Edited by eight