• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Generation Game ๐Ÿ™Œ

Wasted Scottish votes - someone is going to have to help me with this

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-40991615

ย 

So I just scanned this story and I don't understand the numbers.ย 

It says that 77.5% of the votes in Edinburgh South were wasted. I see that SNP came second with 22.5% of the vote so deduce that it is suggesting Labour only need 22.5% + 1 vote to win and all the other votes were wasted?

Surely there were seats elsewhere in the UK where the second placed candidate got less than 22.5% of the vote?

What a strange analysis.

In Edinburgh South it was:

Labour 54.9

SNP 22.5

Conservative 19.7

So their figure of 77.5% of wasted votes is every vote bar the minimum that Labour required to win.

Their definition of a wasted vote is then every vote that goes to a losing candidate (not electing anyone) or every vote that goes to a winning candidate that they didn't need to win. ย Meaning the most wasted votes under this measure are in a ward where the second place candidate has the lowest vote.

The least marginal seat, Knowsley, had Labour 85.3 followed by Conservative 9.3. ย Hence on their bonkers definition 90.7% of votes in Knowsley were wasted.

Halfwits.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

What a strange analysis.

In Edinburgh South it was:

Labour 54.9

SNP 22.5

Conservative 19.7

So their figure of 77.5% of wasted votes is every vote bar the minimum that Labour required to win.

Their definition of a wasted vote is then every vote that goes to a losing candidate (not electing anyone) or every vote that goes to a winning candidate that they didn't need to win. ย Meaning the most wasted votes under this measure are in a ward where the second place candidate has the lowest vote.

The least marginal seat, Knowsley, had Labour 85.3 followed by Conservative 9.3. ย Hence on their bonkers definition 90.7% of votes in Knowsley were wasted.

Halfwits.

Thank you for confirming my analysis. Such complete halfwits that I questioned my own understanding and went away scratching my head.