DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Park and ride for local beauty spot

https://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/139/main-news/137875/park-and-ride-among-measures-to-be-brought-in-at-dovestones-reservoir

Longer term, the Dovestone partnership has committed to exploring further options including:

• A real time app or web link showing car park capacity

• Modifications to the toilet block with improved facilities

• ANPR options at key entrances linked to opening times

• A Park and Ride facility

• Funding or grant options to support the additional management costs.

Lots of people like driving out to the reservoir, and having a nice walk round and an ice cream. But it's a tiny car park and annoys local residents.

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/139/main-news/137875/park-and-ride-among-measures-to-be-brought-in-at-dovestones-reservoir

Longer term, the Dovestone partnership has committed to exploring further options including:

Lots of people like driving out to the reservoir, and having a nice walk round and an ice cream. But it's a tiny car park and annoys local residents.

THERE ARE TOO MANY FUCKING PEOPLE. STOP IMPORTING MORE.  FFS

5 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Fuck the locals, really, I did quite a few and some at Dovestones.:D

Glorified dogging spot.

I've lived either side of it, in Meltham and Mossley.

Lovely place but it ain't The Lakes.

Typical Greenfield/Uppermill delusions of mediocrity.

3 hours ago, One percent said:

Why would I when i live in god’s own country?  

You should get your own back on the Whitby daytrippers and start taking daytrips to Eston. That'll learn 'em.

Park your car in front of a random house then walk around the estate for a few hours looking through people's windows and eating an ice cream. Then when you get peckish queue for an hour outside the Eston Chippie. Lovely day had by all. 

In all seriousness though, Mrs. Mellie really, really wants to move to Osmotherley. The tourists would absolutely do my head in. 

Just now, Roger_Mellie said:

You should get your own back on the Whitby daytrippers and start taking daytrips to Eston. That'll learn 'em.

Park your car in front of a random house then walk around the estate for a few hours looking through people's windows and eating an ice cream. Then when you get peckish queue for an hour outside the Eston Chippie. Lovely day had by all. 

In all seriousness though, Mrs. Mellie really, really wants to move to Osmotherley. The tourists would absolutely do my head in. 

When i was a kid, the only pool in whitby was “spiders web” an unheated pool at the edge of the cliff. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6e3a4682b2f886529ba15daecd03019c.jpeg

so, in the winter, the local swimming club took us every Friday to Eston baths.  Is it still there?  

You'll be wanting the help of the NIMBYs once this park and ride scheme is revealed to be part of a wider 'masterplan' to build thousands of houses. They always are... find out who is funding it, if you can. It'll be a property developer like Countryside or Redrow. Seriously - happens all the time. They use it to get round the sustainability arguments.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

You'll be wanting the help of the NIMBYs once this park and ride scheme is revealed to be part of a wider 'masterplan' to build thousands of houses. They always are... find out who is funding it, if you can. It'll be a property developer like Countryside or Redrow. Seriously - happens all the time. They use it to get round the sustainability arguments.

6 hours ago, sarahbell said:

It would be brilliant if they built a park and ride.  It would be an excellent illustration of local government completely misunderstanding what people want.

[The park and ride would be empty, and the local council would be scratching their heads saying 'but they came before -- all we did was give them a really convenient short (15 minute) and regular (every 30 mins, 10am to 4pm in the summer, every hour 12am to 3pm spring and autumn) bus journey to take with their flasks of tea and folding chairs.  Cheap too, at only £5 return.  I just don't understand it'.]

4 hours ago, One percent said:

THERE ARE TOO MANY FUCKING PEOPLE. STOP IMPORTING MORE.  FFS

People will stop going.

It's happened all across North Wales.

Local council spends a lot of money marking out bays, installing signs, payment machines, and cameras. Awards contract to national parking management company. 

Locals stop going, and tourists go without stopping.

It only takes a handful of FB posts or comments on hyper-local news website forums and Twitter, and people are frightened away by the threat of a PCN.

Shopping centre car parks, beach fronts, mountain areas, lakes, castles, and even entire towns.  

2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

People will stop going.

It's happened all across North Wales.

Local council spends a lot of money marking out bays, installing signs, payment machines, and cameras. Awards contract to national parking management company. 

Locals stop going, and tourists go without stopping.

It only takes a handful of FB posts or comments on hyper-local news website forums and Twitter, and people are frightened away by the threat of a PCN.

Shopping centre car parks, beach fronts, mountain areas, lakes, castles, and even entire towns.  

I hope you are correct. Not convinced. Build it and they will come. 

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

The park and ride would be empty.

A hundred yard square of empty PAR tarmac marked out, sleeping line of Mercedes Sprinter minibuses, drivers huddled together smoking. 

Meanwhile, half a mile up the road, fifty cars are squeezed into any gap available, outside private houses, mounted on pavements, while drivers circle for 30 minutes in a holding pattern waiting to find a space.  

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

He wasn’t talking about the shopping centres they had recently bought was he?   o.O

One particular shopping centre was built with a chargeable multi-storey.

Shoppers stopped using the car park following a spate of PCN for alleged infringements of T&C. Such as over staying, failure to display ticket as advised, improper placement within bay markings. Together with the old chestnut of out of order machines.

Eventually the car park was sold on. Apparently a less hostile regime but shoppers still avoid it.

Two other car parks have received television acclaim for a similar, including a new tactic. Charging customers that don't actually park. One car park has a railway station attached so people in private cars, and taxis, drop off and pick up. Then receive £90 PCN through the post.  

5 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

One particular shopping centre was built with a chargeable multi-storey.

Shoppers stopped using the car park following a spate of PCN for alleged infringements of T&C. Such as over staying, failure to display ticket as advised, improper placement within bay markings. Together with the old chestnut of out of order machines.

Eventually the car park was sold on. Apparently a less hostile regime but shoppers still avoid it.

Two other car parks have received television acclaim for a similar, including a new tactic. Charging customers that don't actually park. One car park has a railway station attached so people in private cars, and taxis, drop off and pick up. Then receive £90 PCN through the post.  

My local coop did exactly the same with their carpark.  Haven’t used their shop since.  

10 hours ago, One percent said:

My local coop did exactly the same with their carpark.  Haven’t used their shop since.  

You're doing it wrong... My local coop has an actual person who makes sure everyone buys a ticket (not council owned so it's more of an optional fee). He's given up speaking to me now and just gives me evils. 

1 minute ago, spunko said:

You're doing it wrong... My local coop has an actual person who makes sure everyone buys a ticket (not council owned so it's more of an optional fee). He's given up speaking to me now and just gives me evils. 

Local coop carpark is run by one of those shark type parking companies.  The bays are too small and so cars get hit by the old folk. They allow parking even if you dont shop, as long as you pay, so full of day trippers. Then to cap it all, they were giving out tickets to the actual shoppers.  I just avoid.