DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I'm trying to take my former LL to court for not protecting deposit. - Am I screwed?

I'm too tired for posting the whole backstory but, my LL has not protected my deposit and I want to take her to court for x3 deposit (only 150)x3.

I was a lodger at her house when I got a recent contract but left after 10 days, when she had her house searched by the police when they where looking for a suspected criminal.

I left the day after. 

Anyhow, I've seen online that the courts aren't taking cases for deposits.

Any ideas or advice?

Just now, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Was it you they were looking for?

No, else I would have been taken in cuffs and wouldnt be posting here.

Banter aside.

Since I was only a lodger, I wasn't told who they where looking for even when I asked the copers. LL wasn't forthright with me when I asked her, she said it's someone's friends bf she was tangentially acquainted with.

I however suspect they where looking for her son.

That's by the by, I want my fucking money back.

Ideas welcome, banter is not. I'm pissed!

14 minutes ago, No One said:

I'm too tired for posting the whole backstory but, my LL has not protected my deposit and I want to take her to court for x3 deposit (only 150)x3.

I was a lodger at her house when I got a recent contract but left after 10 days, when she had her house searched by the police when they where looking for a suspected criminal.

I left the day after. 

Any ideas or advice?

Has she returned your deposit, and are you looking for recompense for it not being protected?

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Small claims court.

But write her a letter before action.

Assuming you broke nothing and left the place clean.

Just now, white110 said:

Lodger !!!!

The deposit schemes only protect Assured Short-hold Tenancy agreements (AST).

Small Claims is probably your only option, alternately if you are a contractor, claim as expense and right it off.

That's the thing, I can't start a small claims court claim, look:

image.thumb.png.b5bb0f925436ebf3cb622cc6cf0bc645.png

image.png.23c76cad46430d885a833565000ec4d9.png

It is not possible to start a case.

Is this because the courts are swamped?

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Has she returned your deposit, and are you looking for recompense for it not being protected?

She hasn't returned anything, not the deposit, nor part of the rent (because I left 10 days into the tenancy due to, well a bloody Police raid)

18 minutes ago, No One said:

I left the day after. 

Any ideas or advice?

Sudden and terrifying violence.

2 minutes ago, No One said:

She hasn't returned anything, not the deposit, nor part of the rent (because I left 10 days into the tenancy due to, well a bloody Police raid)

Honest opinion that you won't like.

Write it off and chalk it up to experience.

I am not convinced you have a decent case, and do you really want to go up against someone who clearly has criminal contacts?

2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Honest opinion that you won't like.

Write it off and chalk it up to experience.

I am not convinced you have a decent case, and do you really want to go up against someone who clearly has criminal contacts?

I got the tenancy through, spareroom dot co dot uk, so I can give her some time to respond. (I'll write the whole story tomorrow) but I reckon I can just report her to the site and she will be stuck off, causing her to loose more than me in the long run. 

In fairness to spareroom, I've used them many times and its always been decent or even good.

8 minutes ago, No One said:

Probably not. Deposits are dealt with by deposit protection scheme 

2 minutes ago, ccc said:

(1) Do you still have a key ? If so just go in and take your money's worth. Then it's up to her to come after you. Turn the tables. 

And as you left early before your time was up I'm assuming you are perfectly able to still wander in if you wish. 

(1) -> I don't do that shit

No, I put them through the mailbox the next day and got the fuck out..

Just now, sarahbell said:

Probably not. Deposits are dealt with by deposit protection scheme 

Non protection is dealt with a small claims court

Edited by No One
2 minutes ago, No One said:

(1) -> I don't do that shit

No, I put them through the mailbox the next day and got the fuck out..

Non protection is dealt with a small claims court

Was just an idea. 

I'm assuming you've chased her up for this lots already and she's just told you to beat it or ignored you ? 

Just now, ccc said:

Was just an idea. 

I'm assuming you've chased her up for this lots already and she's just told you to beat it or ignored you ? 

No, the messages and calls dont get through to her phone. Likely seized by the police as evidence.

I notice she put the room back up on the website spareroom, so shes now out of jail/hiding/on the run and has internet access.

I messaged via the site, the message sent via the site is now showing as read.

She didn't reply to that. Might pay a solicitor a tenner to write a legal sounding letter if she doesn't reply tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, No One said:

No, the messages and calls dont get through to her phone. Likely seized by the police as evidence.

I notice she put the room back up on the website spareroom, so shes now out of jail/hiding/on the run and has internet access.

I messaged via the site, the message sent via the site is now showing as read.

She didn't reply to that. Might pay a solicitor a tenner to write a legal sounding letter if she doesn't reply tomorrow.

She's clearly dodgy. Good luck. 

Unless you really have nothing better to do atm, or you desperately need that money, this is going to be a waste of your time and precious mental energy. You were just unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Just make sure it’s spread far and wide on the renting sites  that she’s a dodgy bitch who harbors Crims, and forget it. 

i remember renting for 5 years, i rented 6 or 7 places and IN EVERY CASE the landlord didnt protect the deposit in any protection scheme, in fact THEY STOLE IT EVERY TIME. When people become landlords they become theiving cunts. Its all about the money. If a landlord ever says otherwise they are lying. The worst are the ones claiming they are helping people. I will never rent anywhere ever again i would rather sleep in the street. A proper eyeopener it was for me.

39 minutes ago, mosstrooper said:

i remember renting for 5 years, i rented 6 or 7 places and IN EVERY CASE the landlord didnt protect the deposit in any protection scheme, in fact THEY STOLE IT EVERY TIME. When people become landlords they become theiving cunts. Its all about the money. If a landlord ever says otherwise they are lying. The worst are the ones claiming they are helping people. I will never rent anywhere ever again i would rather sleep in the street. A proper eyeopener it was for me.

I had a lodger for 30 plus months yes it was for the money but I got him a job and let him have my car so he could earn the money to give me.but I did start fucking his mum after awhile