DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Getting cat in rented home

3 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

I'm tempted to get a cat in my rented home, with no cat flap. Whilst not strictly allowed, the landlord may consider letting me have a cat if I request in writing.

Does anyone have any experience of whether this is a spectacularly bad idea?

If he lets you have one you'll pay for it in the deposit (when the time comes)

Edited by dgul
Never apologise, never explain.

If the house comes furnished the cat may scratch things, particularly the sofa.

If the cat urinates on the carpet the smell will never come out (forget what products tell you) and you'll need to replace the carpet.

You'll need a decent, powerful vacuum cleaner to get the hair out of the carpet.

If the cat can't do its business outside, you have approximately 20 seconds after the deposit is made into the tray to get it into a bin bag before the smell spreads.

If going for a breed, choose one that doesn't mind staying indoors.

6 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

I'm tempted to get a cat in my rented home, with no cat flap. Whilst not strictly allowed, the landlord may consider letting me have a cat if I request in writing.

A house cat I’ve accidentally got one it came with the kids it’s called Sebastian it likes fucking up every wooden door in the house I can’t even do a stock take on my alcohol levels without getting involved 

1EF30712-3F50-4EEA-BEA4-881B2FFAE16E.jpegHonest there is a cat in that picture if you look carefully 

Edited by stokiescum
3 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

Don’t know if you’re the poster I’m thinking of, but someone with a name like yours escaped from a useless, narcissistic and emotionally manipulative woman not long ago. It seems you’re still attracted to the same kind of creatures though. 

:D

2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Don’t know if you’re the poster I’m thinking of, but someone with a name like yours escaped from a useless, narcissistic and emotionally manipulative woman not long ago. It seems you’re still attracted to the same kind of creatures though. 

Yes but men do anything for a bit of pussy it’s there only weapon 

13 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Sebastian has been wanting to go out for ages including bolting out of the front and back doors and being a general twat .got it back both times in seconds .the other night it got on my tits to much and I carryed it to the end of the garden a put it down said fuck off the thing was back in the house before me to be fair cats are not daft 

45 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

A house cat I’ve accidentally got one it came with the kids it’s called Sebastian it likes fucking up every wooden door in the house I can’t even do a stock take on my alcohol levels without getting involved 

1EF30712-3F50-4EEA-BEA4-881B2FFAE16E.jpegHonest there is a cat in that picture if you look carefully 

That shouldbe a CAPTCHA test.

Would it be

"How many cats are in this picture"

Or

"How many bottles of alcohol involve no cats"

53 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

Do it and don't tell them. When you move in take pictures of literally everything that isn't 100% perfect.

(I assume you have already?)

Then if they try to play fancy with you then you have the evidence to get them to fuck. 

7 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I have no idea what you're talking about 😅.

I'm already in the house, and it's unfurnished.

It’s a tough one..   if you are definitely going to get one,  probably keep quiet about it (better to ask forgiveness than permission etc).

If you’re just mulling it over..  ask the landlord nicely,  if you’ve been a good tenant he/she will probably say yes.  If you ask and they categorically say no..  it becomes a bit more tricky.  

If the cat damages the house,  obviously you will lose your deposits.. but that probably stands in either case.

9 hours ago, mooncat69 said:

I had cats for years in various different rental properties, never told the landlord or estate agent and never had a single problem. I would just let it out the door if there was an inspection or someone was coming round to fix something. Also there was generally always a grill or vent that I could unscrew and replace with a catflap as well (maybe just got lucky with that point).The thing with cats is that 'ownership' is a bit of a loose term - my backp plan if we were ever rumbled was to say it's a neighbour's cat that lets itself in from time to time - there was never anything in the contract about that.

It will trash carpets and curtains etc, but frankly I'd go for it anyway. Life is too short not to have pets in it.

Besides, the landlord isn't going to find it easy to get another reliable tenant, and house prices seemingly continue their relentless march upwards in the face of the worst economy for 300 years, so if you hang on until you've bought somewhere you'll probably never do it at all.

Seize the day, fuck the landlord.

6 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

It will trash carpets and curtains etc, but frankly I'd go for it anyway. Life is too short not to have pets in it.

Besides, the landlord isn't going to find it easy to get another reliable tenant, and house prices seemingly continue their relentless march upwards in the face of the worst economy for 300 years, so if you hang on until you've bought somewhere you'll probably never do it at all.

Seize the day, fuck the landlord.

Yep, put it dow to China Flu and being locked away, exceptional circumstances and all that.

I can't remember if it was on TOS or on here when someone gave some very sage advice about living your life in a rented house.  They said to view your deposit as lost from the day you move in and consider it an upfront payment to your landlord for living your life exactly as you want.  Including pets.

On 02/12/2020 at 00:28, DTMark said:

You'll need a decent, powerful vacuum cleaner to get the hair out of the carpet.

And potentially floorboards.

6 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I can't remember if it was on TOS or on here when someone gave some very sage advice about living your life in a rented house.  They said to view your deposit as lost from the day you move in and consider it an upfront payment to your landlord for living your life exactly as you want.  Including pets.

Especially as the deposit limit is now capped.

I will have a cat in my life for as long as I can. I currently have 3 cats and 2 dogs but on balance I would never want to be without at least one cat. Personally I find them very easy  but then I also dream of one day giving up my current business and running a small cattery.

If you’re worried about curtains etc then I’d suggest getting an older cat and get one that’s spayed to minimise the chances of spraying. 

Get a couple of these dotted around the house and add some catnip.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMZNOVA-Durable-Scratch-Recyclable-Colors/dp/B06Y631CZM/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2RHR05L4WYX7G&dchild=1&keywords=scratch+pads&qid=1607186840&sprefix=Scratchpad%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-8

Get some Feliway spray or plug-ins to ease the settling in process. 

Get a litter tray for the first few weeks until they’re ready to venture out and buy some cheap toys in Home Bargains or similar where they do a packet for about 99p.

Most girl cats won’t continue to be as playful overall as they mature. Boy cats, like men, never grow up. :P 

They’re really pretty easy to take care of.

6 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I will have a cat in my life for as long as I can. I currently have 3 cats and 2 dogs but on balance I would never want to be without at least one cat. Personally I find them very easy  but then I also dream of one day giving up my current business and running a small cattery.

Will you need staff? :Jumping: