DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Turtles (Terrapins)

Question

Wife wants one for Christmas,  and the kids want a pet.

I don’t know anything about them,  but I don’t want anything big..  so smaller is better,  easy to look after is better,  “pretty” if there is such a thing for turtles would also be nice too.

Our local pet shop has:

Chinese stipe neck turtles

Florida Softshell (stinkpot?) turtles

Baby reeves turtles

What should I get?  Any suggestions, Comments or advice (including it’s a terrible idea) ?

@stokiescum  don’t you have some experience with exotics?

15 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Wife wants one for Christmas,  and the kids want a pet.

I don’t know anything about them,  but I don’t want anything big..  so smaller is better,  easy to look after is better,  “pretty” if there is such a thing for turtles would also be nice too.

Our local pet shop has:

Chinese stipe neck turtles

Florida Softshell (stinkpot?) turtles

Baby reeves turtles

What should I get?  Any suggestions, Comments or advice (including it’s a terrible idea) ?

@stokiescum  don’t you have some experience with exotics?

Lots keep them my mate had an evil snapping turtle but they harbour I think a few nasty things if your not carefull and some grow bigger than you expect .I’d go for a tortoise but they are not has exciting and  they could potentially outlive your kids 2 of my kids have a a toitose https://www.pbspettravel.co.uk/blog/the-beginners-guide-to-keeping-terrapins-turtles/ 

Edited by stokiescum

Where would you keep these, in a tank? Personally, if it were me, I'd get a tortoise that can roam in the back garden. They're easy to come by, and will obviously live for decades in the right conditions. The kids will have fun putting it to sleep when it hibernates, and just generally watching it mill about eating lettuce. If it's a terrapin or proper turtle you need to worry about heating, tanks, water etc. I'm not expert but when I did look into it, it seemed like a faff - similar to having a gecko or snake.

Tell the wife to wind her neck in if she insists on a terrapin.

:Old:

2 hours ago, spunko said:

Where would you keep these, in a tank? If it's a terrapin or proper turtle you need to worry about heating, tanks, water etc. I'm not expert but when I did look into it, it seemed like a faff - similar to having a gecko or snake.

Tell the wife to wind her neck in if she insists on a terrapin.

:Old:

Yes,  tortoise would be easier..  we have friends with a tortoise and it seems to spend the whole time hiding or hibernating.

My wife had terrapins as a kid so there’s a bit of a childhood attachment  in there.  

They don’t seem to be that difficult..  you need a tank,  with some water at one end and a heat lamp at the other.  They are a bit more active than a tortoise and they don’t hibernate.

Chance of me telling my wife to wind her neck in?   I can’t afford the divorce :D

17 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Tortoise, you can have them roaming round the house, terrapins are grim things, the local pond at the park has red eared ones in it, not good as they have eaten everything in it.

I remember Mitcham pond was full of the buggers, thrown away after the "mutant turtle" craze. They grew to the size of german helmets (stahlhelm), and to be removed.