DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Christmas lights - Scrooge

24 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Is it me (Scrooge) or something about the technology of LED (light emitting diodes) price or output but just out for a drive and it’s mad here almost daylight! Houses light up by roads with hundreds maybe thousands of lights.

Well has I’ve now got a cat well kitten I’ve been able to use the excuse it will wreck a new tree so I’m going to get another 12 months out of my old fucked up one.the cheapest stunt I’ve done was to use my flowered Xmas cactus instead of a tree.however Nora the cactus has had to be loaned out to a friend for safe keeping has the cat digs all the soil out of its bowl and has basicly fucked it up.the person who gave me the cactus died about 6 years ago this was Nora at Xmas 2016 

38609D39-58A2-4A64-ABB1-3DE2A24A028F.jpeg

Edited by stokiescum

Guilty as charged.  We gave in to peer pressure from the kids and did outdoor lights this year. 

Well,   one set of lights and two garden ornaments to be specific. 

But yes,  they are dirt cheap. Lights were about £20 and the ornaments were about £50 for the pair. 

Edited by Libspero

I’m doing my normal Xmas. No cards, no tree, no decorations, no lights, no presents except money for my kids.

Outdoor lights have been dying away here recently after a few years of them until this year. It’s very competitive and the outdoor garden lights and decorations are growing daily. 

I’m tempted to buy one of those plastic life size skeletons and sit it in a chair in my garden wearing a Santa hat and holding a bah humbug sign. 

22 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

I’m doing my normal Xmas. No cards, no tree, no decorations, no lights, no presents except money for my kids.

Outdoor lights have been dying away here recently after a few years of them until this year. It’s very competitive and the outdoor garden lights and decorations are growing daily. 

I’m tempted to buy one of those plastic life size skeletons and sit it in a chair in my garden wearing a Santa hat and holding a bah humbug sign. 

One of my old offices had a plastic skeleton that was wheeled out for Halloween and shoved in the corridor with a hat on.

Then, one year, it was pointed out by someone 'who knew such stuff' that it was in fact a real skeleton.  We had to send it off to be buried (or something -- I'm not clear on the details).

22 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

One of my old offices had a plastic skeleton that was wheeled out for Halloween and shoved in the corridor with a hat on.

Then, one year, it was pointed out by someone 'who knew such stuff' that it was in fact a real skeleton.  We had to send it off to be buried (or something -- I'm not clear on the details).

9 minutes ago, A tremendous # on the lung said:

Don't forget to turn off your TV standby every night O.o

I neither care about Greta nor Christmas lights.  

[I do turn my TV off properly, but that's because I don't have a remote for it and it is (far) easier to turn it off than much about trying to get it to standby]

2 hours ago, Van Lady said:

For the love of God stick a syringe into it labelled "Big Pharma".

Actually, I don't think this trend will continue. The eco sorts are slowly realising that LED lights are doing more harm than good to the environment, and there will be a huge u-turn shortly.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-00665-7

The most lethal effects are perhaps on insects — vital food sources and pollinators in many ecosystems. An estimate of the effects of street lamps in Germany suggested that the light could wipe out more than 60 billion insects over a single summer4. Some insects fly straight into lamps and sizzle; some collapse after circling them for hours.

Fewer studies have examined plants, but those that have suggest that light is disrupting them, too. In a study in the United Kingdom5, scientists took a 13-year record of the timing of bud opening in trees, and matched it up with satellite imagery of night-time lighting. After controlling for urban heat, they found that artificial lighting was linked with trees bursting their buds more than a week earlier — a magnitude similar to that predicted for 2 °C of global warming. A study of soya-bean farms in Illinois6 found that the light from adjacent roads and passing cars could be delaying the maturation of crops by up to seven weeks, as well as reducing yield.

8 minutes ago, spunko said:

Some insects fly straight into lamps and sizzle; some collapse after circling them for hours.

The scariest airport I was ever in was Kinshasa. There is only one airport so it is both commercial and military planes hence AK-wielding soldiers everywhere. There are very few buildings so I had to sit outside literally all night waiting for my flight at dawn. There are huge floodlights like at football and the insects fly into them and die. We're talking big nasty flying things about the size of a hamster with wings. They get frazzled by the lights then come hurtling down to the ground with a splat and burning smell.

Kinshasa was voted "hell-hole of the year" several years running by Business Traveler magazine :CryBaby:

18 hours ago, dgul said:

Yeah used to definitely be real skeletons I think medical staff "practised on". I remember someone having a skull when I was young, found it quite fascinating think it even got a name, bit grisly but there you go.

Just googled and apparantly it's no longer allowed and medical staff have been warned off selling on auction sites. 

Don't see much of an issue really, as long as not from a grave robbery or a Chinese detection camp, and  everything above board surely it's fine.

Random, but even more grisly thought.  But wonder if human taxidermy is a thing anywhere. Probably if aliens came down or we get superceded by a new race of techno humans it may be for museum purposes and the like.

8 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Superseded :Old:

Sorry I am low on my pedant quota and need some points.

Ah, well I wasn't being auto corrected...I usually bow down to the computer with such details.

However it does seem to be disputed but in my defense since the 17th C has been commonly used.

I think it was the yanks who bastardised though so will try to make an effort to use the proper one in future

On 03/12/2020 at 14:23, Dogtania said:

Yeah used to definitely be real skeletons I think medical staff "practised on". I remember someone having a skull when I was young, found it quite fascinating think it even got a name, bit grisly but there you go.

Just googled and apparantly it's no longer allowed and medical staff have been warned off selling on auction sites. 

Don't see much of an issue really, as long as not from a grave robbery or a Chinese detection camp, and  everything above board surely it's fine.

Random, but even more grisly thought.  But wonder if human taxidermy is a thing anywhere. Probably if aliens came down or we get superceded by a new race of techno humans it may be for museum purposes and the like.

That's shit.

I was going to donate my body to the hospital for research and teaching.

I was hoping they would steam clean me and wire my bones up to demonstrate a case of scoliosis.

Modern life is rubbish.