DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Once we exit the EU this might be in the news more

CANZUK is an acronym for the theoretical cultural, political, and economic community comprising Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom as part of an international body similar in scope to the former European Economic Community.[5] This includes increased trade, foreign policy co-operation, military co-operation and mobility of citizens between the four states.[6] The idea is supported by various organisations and think tanks, such as CANZUK International, the Adam Smith Institute, the Henry Jackson Society,[7] Bruges Group[8] and politicians from the four countries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANZUK

So is common language the main reason then? 

If we left the EU because we had no common interests with a continent 25 miles away then I can't see what we've got more in common interest with continents on the other side of the world. 

Apart from they are all English speakers. Don't understand why that is so key though?

1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

Apart from they are all English speakers. Don't understand why that is so key though?

Its not just a common language. Those countries are predominantly populated by a people who originated from the United Kingdom. We have a common culture in addition to a common language. 

The common culture makes us more alike than the United States of America that were formed by groups from several European countries as well as England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. We are fairly similar to the US but there are cultural differences as well as a language that differs from correct English.

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

We have a common culture in addition to a common language. 

We do not have a common culture. Being English I don't feel I have a common culture with even the jocks taffs and paddies, which is why I object so much to being part of the UK and am looking forward to the jockinese rebellion triggering an end to it.

I have perhaps even less in common with Bruce the sheep farmer in Goona Goona Land, or Antoine dans le Walmart shelf-stackeur in Quebec.

Which I'm not saying is a show-stopper to Canzuk being a real thing, maybe it would work, we should look at it. But when you're buying and selling things then it's economics that counts not who got deported to where in 1700.

I don't see what's in it for NZ?

They got fucked over when we joined the EU, subsequently have made all the hard adjustments to being a free trading nation and are doing well (or were doing well at least until they foolishly elected a Blair disciple who will probably ruin the place).

They no longer need the UK at all.

1 minute ago, ad_ceng said:

IT would be great if they do it, I will be on the first plane to Canada 

The free movement for emigration is what interests me about it, given my lack of employment point scoring and age. Could the UK really risk doing it? The brain drain might be all one way, who would be left to pay the coming higher taxes?

7 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

The free movement for emigration is what interests me about it, given my lack of employment point scoring and age. Could the UK really risk doing it? The brain drain might be all one way, who would be left to pay the coming higher taxes?

They can work that out once I am gone, AUS and NZ are just Nanny state but CA is no where near as bad

15 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Elizabeth II is the head of state of all of them. All speak English predominantly. All use English common law legal systems. All comparable socio-economically. All fairly stable democracies.

Seems like an extremely good fit for a basic free trade block.

Yes, it's basically the Commonwealth without the shitholes

Boris appointed former Australian PM Tony Abbott as one of our post-Brexit trade advisors:

Former Australian PM’s appointment comes as Australia and Britain negotiate a free trade agreement

Tony Abbott has added himself to Australia’s register of foreign influence after the British government pressed ahead with his appointment to a trade position. The former Australian prime minister registered his new role as an adviser to the UK Board of Trade – an appointment that attracted controversy in both countries – but wrote that he was not receiving any payment. “The role is to advocate for free and fair trade especially trade with the UK and its allies,” Abbott said in the declaration, according to the public register.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/oct/09/tony-abbott-registers-as-agent-of-foreign-influence-over-uk-trade-adviser-role

His appointment didn't go down well with everyone for some reason?

The Scottish National party’s deputy leader in Westminster, Kirsten Oswald, said the appointment was “beyond indefensible”.

If holding misogynistic, homophobic, Trump-backing, climate change-denying views, as well as saying that some elderly people with Covid-19 should be allowed to die, is what qualifies you for a role with this Tory government in promoting the UK internationally then it is not so much Global Britain as it is Little Britain,” she added.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/04/former-australian-pm-tony-abbott-confirmed-as-uk-trade-adviser

54 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

The residents of Bradford all have UK  passports too, you realise? And Jacinda is in charge in NZ, she'd probably love to build more mosques.....

1 hour ago, Lightly Toasted said:

Another difference is that the goal would be trade and close co-operation, not trying to forge a single political, economic and monetary unit. It's unthinkable for example that New Zealand (say) would ever be on the hook -- even informally -- for Britain's public debt.

Well, exactly.

I'd be very happy to be part of a trade block including France and Germany.

The problems I have are with the non-trade-block parts.

[IMO, if we leave we should start offering some really tasty free-trade deals to the likes of Poland and Hungary.  I'm sure they'd be happy to leave the EU for a non-meddling, pro-trade group.]

[And that's probably why the EU is being so tough on us leaving]

3 hours ago, Funn3r said:

We do not have a common culture. Being English I don't feel I have a common culture with even the jocks taffs and paddies, which is why I object so much to being part of the UK and am looking forward to the jockinese rebellion triggering an end to it.

As you must be very sensitive to the nuances of culture can you list major points that you perceive make being English culturally different to that of our colonial cousins. 

31 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

As you must be very sensitive to the nuances of culture can you list major points that you perceive make being English culturally different to that of our colonial cousins. 

No I can't but I refer you to the honourable gentleman who has explained it better than I ever could. Morris dancers excepted.

When Queenie pops her clogs; should CANZUK be a thing by then, I can see a clamour for, "Lets take it in turns to be head of state - because it isn't fair for it to always be a Brit..."

Then, when it comes round to Grand-Empress Jacinda's turn to be big boss; as soon as she's got her feet safely under the table, moves will be made to ensure that the next "President" of CANZUK will always be another vacuous Blairite clone.

...as determined by Dominion machines!

43 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

When Queenie pops her clogs; should CANZUK be a thing by then, I can see a clamour for, "Lets take it in turns to be head of state - because it isn't fair for it to always be a Brit..."

Then, when it comes round to Grand-Empress Jacinda's turn to be big boss; as soon as she's got her feet safely under the table, moves will be made to ensure that the next "President" of CANZUK will always be another vacuous Blairite clone her, forever. 

...as determined by Dominion machines!

FTFY. 

So the neighs have it. The neighs have it. 

4 hours ago, ad_ceng said:

IT would be great if they do it, I will be on the first plane to Canada 

Same. Well Australia. 

Honestly, dont see the point of joining countries so far, particularly as brexit was supposedly about sovereignty and ending open borders.

Of course, they wont do it, because most would leave UK in a shot. 

12 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Honestly, dont see the point of joining countries so far, particularly as brexit was supposedly about sovereignty and ending open borders.

Completely right. I am sick and tired of seeing Krankie in my newsfeed every morning, will she do this or will she do that. Who cares. It's always about HER vote to stay in UK or not. When do I get MY vote to bin her arse. My country does not need her we can manage on our own very well thanks.