DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Death of cinemas

There are two cinema chains in Cornwall; both family owned and a clear labour of love by the owners.  They're not getting rich off them.

I go maybe three times a year - live broadcast performances of opera, ballet or plays rather than films - but haven't been at all this year.  This is primarily owing to the requirement to wear a mask through the show and that would spoil it for me. 

They are one of many sectors that the government's response to Covid has crushed and the government should be helping them out as a consequence.

Spent last 10 years living within a 2 minute walk of a large cinema.

They had a special deal on Tuesdays where it was £3.50 a ticket so it was a cheap evening 'out'. And it was nice to be able to dander over on a whim on a Sunday afternoon when you had nothing else to do to see something.

The quality of cinema has gone down the toilet over the last 5 years but it was still nice to have the option.

The cinema building closed just before covid hit as it was bought by an IT consultancy to convert to an office (which they now have decided not to do so are just sitting on the building).

I think cinemas are probably fucked long term now; a mixture of streaming, covid, and the gradual death of Hollywood movie making as an art form (best writing now seems to be in longer form series that are streamed).

Shame cause it's one less thing to actually go and do, one less reason to leave the house!

Edited by JoeDavola
8 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Spent last 10 years living within a 2 minute walk of a large cinema.

They had a special deal on Tuesdays where it was £3.50 a ticket so it was a cheap evening 'out'. And it was nice to be able to dander over on a whim on a Sunday afternoon when you had nothing else to do to see something.

The quality of cinema has gone down the toilet over the last 5 years but it was still nice to have the option.

The cinema building closed just before covid hit as it was bought by an IT consultancy to convert to an office (which they now have decided not to do so are just sitting on the building).

I think cinemas are probably fucked long term now; a mixture of streaming, covid, and the gradual death of Hollywood movie making as an art form (best writing now seems to be in longer form series that are streamed).

Shame cause it's one less thing to actually go and do, one less reason to leave the house!

I admit that it's generally an older contingent - although you do get younger arty women - but the live broadcasts I attend are very widely screened; they list the screening venues at the end of the show.

They are usually fairly full and could represent the start of repurposing cinemas from showing films to acting as satellite venues to major theatres, ballets and opera houses. 

I pay £12 / £14 and either drive or walk; it's a good evening out.

If I was going to see it in the actual theatre that's probably going to be £40 a ticket, £100 for hotel, £100 for travel, £50 for food and drink and two days travelling.   Say £300 and two days for a two hour performance. I'm not going to do that but when it's local that's great.  And as with football matches you're going to get a better view in the cinema.

Also if it's dire - like John Osborne's The Entertainer*, even the acting talent of Kenneth Branagh cannot make up for an entirely limited script - I'm not going to be that miffed about losing one evening and £14 to it.

Post Covid I can only see this market growing so offsetting the decline in 16 year olds watching comic strip films.

* In his August 2016 review of the production starring Branagh, Henry Hitchings observed: “As for Osborne’s play, it hasn’t aged all that well, with its flashes of misogyny now pretty hard to stomach. Yet it still has unsettling resonance as a portrait of Britain in decline.”

We had a VUE multiplex a few hundred yards away from my last house, I lived there near 20 years and never went once (went inside - saw the place & prices, never returned), their half-price Tuesdays looked decent but I never found something I wanted to watch when I had the time.

I know somebody who often goes for the "live" opera shows (beamed direct from London stage etc). Same person organises some group events - said Vue is about the only place that doesn't give a discount if they book 30+ seats. Latest https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-8826859/Vue-shut-quarter-UK-cinemas-midweek.html

I'd be sad to see them go completely. 

We go once or twice a year,  usually to watch stuff with the kids..  It's a bit of an experience for them,  a nice special treat. 

It's just a shame the UK chains always want to gouge you on the food and drink.  In other countries the food is part of the attraction,  bucket of popcorn, fizzy pop.. feels like a treat.  In this country we never bother. 

17 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I'd be sad to see them go completely. 

We go once or twice a year,  usually to watch stuff with the kids..  It's a bit of an experience for them,  a nice special treat. 

It's just a shame the UK chains always want to gouge you on the food and drink.  In other countries the food is part of the attraction,  bucket of popcorn, fizzy pop.. feels like a treat.  In this country we never bother. 

I have a pint in the interval; it's actually slightly better than pub prices.

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

@Frank Hovis - I’ve been to see one of those streamed plays and agree it’s a good use for cinemas.

I have also seen a professionally filmed gig in a cinema and that was a great experience too. Would like to see more of that.

I did wonder about gigs thinking that they might get a bit lively; I'm not sure that I'd enjoy The Stranglers for instance in a cinema seat.

(I saw them post Hugh at the Shepherds Bush Empire; a very entertaining band)

I used to have a multiplex and an indpenedent arts cinema near me.

I went to the multiplex probably once a year, the independent place at least a couple of times a month.

The majority of stuff at the multiplex is all the crap hollywood spits out or for kids.

The independent has some really intersting cinema on at times. They also show old stuff during the day and have themes. Apocalypse Now in the (I think) 70 mm cut is something else. 2001 a Space Odyssey should also be seen on the big screen.

It is also considerably cheaper, has a bar and you can get proper food there.

I'd be sad to see the independent place go under, the multiplex wouldn't really make a difference to me

Edited by MrLibertyRedux
spellink
1 minute ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I'd be sad to see the independent place go under, the multiplex wouldn't really make a difference to me

The Curzon cinema in Clevedon claims to be the oldest continually running cinema. In all the time I lived there, I never went in. They do screening of plays and operas, and put on weird films.

4 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

I won't pay £15 to sit in a room half full of idiots for 2 hours.

Many films have become bland and Chineseified - soulless corporate products.

I don't want the council to get any more money off me.

I have a mini cinema in my house called a television with 2000 channels. 

And absolutely nothing worth watching.  xD

2 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

I won't pay £15 to sit in a room half full of idiots for 2 hours.

Many films have become bland and Chineseified - soulless corporate products.

I don't want the council to get any more money off me.

I have a mini cinema in my house called a television with 2000 channels. 

I started watching the new version of Murder on the Orient Express - Kenneth Branagh was a miscast Poirot - and it was so comedically bad that I had to turn it off after about ten minutes. 

Sinification is probably the reason because the two most egregious features were:

• Huge swooping camera pans and odd angles - filming scenes from above or behind somebody's ear - which were the mark of the old clunky martial arts films.
  • Minimal dialogue and that pretty much barked out.  Two sentences comprised a long speech.  Ideal for those who do not have English as a first language and are reading subtitles.

It was absolute garbage but must have cost a fortune to make.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I started watching the new version of Murder on the Orient Express - Kenneth Branagh was a miscast Poirot - and it was so comedically bad that I had to turn it off after about ten minutes. 

Sinification is probably the reason because the two most egregious features were:

• Huge swooping camera pans and odd angles - filming scenes from above or behind somebody's ear - which were the mark of the old clunky martial arts films.
  • Minimal dialogue and that pretty much barked out.  Two sentences comprised a long speech.  Ideal for those who do not have English as a first language and are reading subtitles.

It was absolute garbage but must have cost a fortune to make.

I was going to use that word but thought people might not know Sino was Chinese.

Warner Bros just caved on all the “blockbusters” they were holding back till the mythical post-Covid return to normal, and announced they are releasing straight to streaming services. Cinemas just had their stranglehold on new films broken. They are done.

I would go to a small independent cinema now over the big teenage attractions. 

Now I would get so irritated trying to watch a film when other people are chatting, munching, phoning etc endless etc.

I would take the kids to watch whatever pixar film was out and they ejoyed it.  As did i as i knew it was full if kids who would fidget and get up and talk... But they are kids and i expected it so it didn't bother me.

Warner Brothers made an announcement on Thursday that it will be putting its 2020/21 films on to its streaming services.

It panicked Disney into an emergency meeting and they will be making an announcement in a week or so.

Both of these organisations are firmly in the Biden camp so what does this tell you about the lockdowns ending?