DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Flaky Pastry---WHY

3 minutes ago, Byron said:

Every time I buy a pastry it is made with that annoying flaky pastry that scatters flakes over me, my surrounding, the carpet etc.

I don't even like flaky pastry, does anybody?

So exactly why do bakers insist on using it?

Puff pastry..?   most people prefer it,  but it’s cheap, and blows up to twice it’s size to make it look like you’re getting a giant pasty rather than a wafer thin one with two lumps of imitation chicken substitute inside.

Proper pasties should really be short crust..  but even in the “traditional” Cornish past shops they all seem to be moving over to puff pastry these days..

Edited by Libspero
3 minutes ago, Byron said:

Every time I buy a pastry it is made with that annoying flaky pastry that scatters flakes over me, my surrounding, the carpet etc.

I don't even like flaky pastry, does anybody?

So exactly why do bakers insist on using it?

You need lard for decent short crust pastry. 

Just now, Libspero said:

Proper pasties should really be short crust..  but even in the “traditional” Cornish past shops they all seem to be moving over to puff pastry these days..

Yep, you could never carry puff pastry 500' down a tin mine plus Mrs Tin Miner wouldn't have had the time to ponce around making fancy pastry.

26 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Yep, you could never carry puff pastry 500' down a tin mine plus Mrs Tin Miner wouldn't have had the time to ponce around making fancy pastry.

Traditional pastie pastry was pretty much inedible made using barley flour, it was just a cheap and handy container for the fillings. It would also stay warm for hours due to its density and could be easily reheated if necessary.

31 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Traditional pastie pastry was pretty much inedible made using barley flour, it was just a cheap and handy container for the fillings. It would also stay warm for hours due to its density and could be easily reheated if necessary.

I think that is the original purpose of all pies. The pastry was designed to stop the contents burning when cooked over a fire or in a hot oven and to keep them warm on the way to the table. Eating the pastry wrapper was really an afterthought.

On edit - Wiki states that medieval pies were rather unappetisingly called “coffyns”.

Edited by Virgil Caine
21 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

I think that is the original purpose of all pies. The pastry was designed to stop the contents burning when cooked over a fire or in a hot oven and to keep them warm on the way to the table. Eating the pastry wrapper was really an afterthought.

On edit - Wiki states that medieval pies were rather unappetisingly called “coffyns”.

Battered fried fish evolved the same way, the original batter was to keep the fish in one piece and allow it to steam cook by keeping the fat out.

Now the batter is one of the best bits :D

You guys need to sort out your illogical hatred of puff pastry - proper steak pie surely shortcrust topped with puff.  Cheap meal when I was young was cheese puff pastry.... Delicious, try doing that with shortcrust.

Too many English sorfties (Cornish?) here, can't handle a bit of crumbs around aye?

Then what about the French and filo - similar stuff I'm not a chef but making things like croissant a total hassle.  I've been wanting to make a proper pie (with flaky) but been told make the shortcrust element then buy the ready to roll flakey.

4 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

You guys need to sort out your illogical hatred of puff pastry - proper steak pie surely shortcrust topped with puff.  Cheap meal when I was young was cheese puff pastry.... Delicious, try doing that with shortcrust.

Too many English sorfties (Cornish?) here, can't handle a bit of crumbs around aye?

Then what about the French and filo - similar stuff I'm not a chef but making things like croissant a total hassle.  I've been wanting to make a proper pie (with flaky) but been told make the shortcrust element then buy the ready to roll flakey.

Don't ever bother to make puff pastry. You need to get up every four hours to fold and roll the stuff.

Just buy it already done.