DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Ken Woodn't

Background. My oven went Tom and Dick last month.

Landlady sent some spaz to have a look, but as he wasn't gas qualified, he couldn't work on a gas cooker (you think?)

So instead she replaced it. With a £280 Kenwood thing, combined double oven and four ring hob.

Until today the oven has been used for warming plates or heating bread rolls. 

Today it was finally put in to action doing a full Wighty roast.

And what a pile of shite it is. Top shelf roasted the chicken ok, middle shelf breathed some warmth on the spuds; the bottom shelf would be good for warming my slippers.

Meanwhile, the top oven incinerated half my Yorkshire, but made omelettes of the rest.

Christmas dinner will be a challenge, but forewarned is forearmed.

Never, ever buy a cheap oven. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What does a oven really do? It heats up a small volume space. Tbh, I can't really see what an expensive oven does that a cheap one doesn't.... especially if it's a fan oven....

Background. My oven went Tom and Dick last month. Landlady sent some spaz to have a look, but as he wasn't gas qualified, he couldn't work on a gas cooker (you think?) So instead she replace

I used to be able to avail myself of Electrolux staff sales when they were still manufacturing in Spennymoor. They sold the dented ones off cheaply. If they didn't have a dented one of the model you w

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Where the fuck was it made, China by anychance.

Can't imagine how a cooking appliance can be made and retailed for so little.

Precisely what I think. when i was a kid, lawnmowers, tv sets....lasted decades. Now your average 40 quid linglong lawnmower lasts one season. If you're lucky.

Sure consumer durables look cheaper, but if you end up having to replace them with alarming frequency, are they really cheaper.

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

What does a oven really do? It heats up a small volume space. Tbh, I can't really see what an expensive oven does that a cheap one doesn't.... especially if it's a fan oven....

Does it reliably for a long period of time without incinerating stuff. We have a 20 year old one with a catalytic lining, we have never had to clean the lining and it even did fat laden Turkey Twizzlers back in the day.

2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Agree. In my humble home I use a baby belling oven, slow cooker, air fryer, camping stove hob, outdoor homemade barbecue set up and my multi fuel stove. Anything I make now is delicious for me.....years of practise and making do in a variety of circumstances.

Son, daughter and very limited other visitors at my home all say my home cooked food offerings taste good and veggie daughter likes what I make her although I’m a carnivore.

9 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Yeah. The fan seems to be the missing element.

Which to be fair makes it very, very quiet. Almost as if it isn't on.

Which it often isn't. We have learned to hold the button down for at least 40 seconds to get the thing to light.

And then repeat. And maybe again.

It really is a pile of shite.

56 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Background. My oven went Tom and Dick last month.

Landlady sent some spaz to have a look, but as he wasn't gas qualified, he couldn't work on a gas cooker (you think?)

So instead she replaced it. With a £280 Kenwood thing, combined double oven and four ring hob.

Until today the oven has been used for warming plates or heating bread rolls. 

Today it was finally put in to action doing a full Wighty roast.

And what a pile of shite it is. Top shelf roasted the chicken ok, middle shelf breathed some warmth on the spuds; the bottom shelf would be good for warming my slippers.

Meanwhile, the top oven incinerated half my Yorkshire, but made omelettes of the rest.

Christmas dinner will be a challenge, but forewarned is forearmed.

Never, ever buy a cheap oven. 

I bought a cheap one in February after haveing a gap where the cooker was surpose to be for 5 months well I didn’t cook so no

point buying a dear one . Now I do cook to a fashion I think I need a fan oven dilemma the cooker works so it would be a waste of cash buying a better one 

3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I bought a cheap one in February after haveing a gap where the cooker was surpose to be for 5 months well I didn’t cook so no

point buying a dear one . Now I do cook to a fashion I think I need a fan oven dilemma the cooker works so it would be a waste of cash buying a better one 

No it won't.

Would you spend the whole day on a field with a £20 metal detector, wasting your time, or jack it in and get a decent £200 model that does the job properly?

2 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Installing an electric oven is a 10 minute job. If it was me I'd be inclined to buy my own and take it with me when I leave. You can pick up a brand new Miele for a monkey.

It's gas.

In a perfect world I would have a gas hob and an electric oven.

Oh. And a four oven aga.

But that is ancient history.