DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Man Repeller, activism eats itself

Leandra Medine Cohen’s blog shaped the way millennial women dress. For a while, that was enough to make it a huge success. But its abrupt October closure, employees say, wasn't just about the economic difficulties of the pandemic—it was also a symptom of Medine Cohen's long-term struggle to adapt to a changing political climate.

https://www.gq.com/story/what-happened-to-man-repeller

7 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

This is one of those "AI writes a hyper-realistic story" stories isn't it?

I like the cut of your jib, i think most storys are AI now,, theres a big super computer churning out storys to appeal to both sides and divide,

Most storys have no pictures, witnessers,they just happen to be treading on google

"Jason cockmouth 33 , was arrested today along with his mother in law fanny smelling 66 after taking his daughter to the park and breaking lockdown rules,, whats the world coming too!"

Interesting read, its quite telling how transient blogging can be. 

A hugely influential person rose, peaked and fucked off in less than a decade.

Basically she wrote a blog about women wearing shapeless clothes so as not to attract the male gaze.

The fashion industry piled in, monetised it, the blog became an online Vogue, 15 staff, millions in turnover, then poof, its gone.

Right on birds don't want to look like builders any more. Whodathunkito.O

Yet another example of an entirely conventional member of the middle classes using Woke for fun and profit.

Watch what they do; not what they say.

In December 2011 Medine announced her engagement to Abie J. Cohen, a financial advisor at the Swiss investment bank UBS, whom she had met when she was 17 years old.

2 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

1. I've never heard of man repeller

2. Everywhere I've looked for almost the last 10 years see I've seen yoga pants 

Conclusion: load of bollocks. 

I recommend looking at Women in Yoga pants rather then Men in that case.

Conclusion: load of Camel toes

This story would also fit in the Get Woke go Broke" thread:

"Following the murder of George Floyd, the site had quickly turned its social media accounts over to sharing antiracism resources, which followers criticized as one of many examples of an influencer-led business offering advice instead of looking within. As Medine Cohen wrote, “I have a lot of listening and learning and growing to do before I will truly know how to thoroughly make a sustained impact in the fight to eradicate systemic racism.”

The post was met with more outrage. “As a former POC employee that was let go during COVID-19, this ‘apology’ is a slap in the face and honestly disgraceful,” read a comment left by ex–photo editor Sabrina Santiago on the post"

13 hours ago, ninjaborrower said:

I like the cut of your jib, i think most storys are AI now,, theres a big super computer churning out storys to appeal to both sides and divide,

Most storys have no pictures, witnessers,they just happen to be treading on google

"Jason cockmouth 33 , was arrested today along with his mother in law fanny smelling 66 after taking his daughter to the park and breaking lockdown rules,, whats the world coming too!"

Back in the day, stories about TV licence evaders getting caught were word for word identical between local newspapers, apart from placenames and numbers. They didn't need real journalists to write anything then, why would they now?

Would be fun to feed this crap into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociated_press and see if the results made more sense!