DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

MrPin

8 hours ago, MrPin said:

I got my Amateur Radio licence in 1987. Do many people still have an interest in this?

I have a CB. My friend says all the local CBers have been encouraged by the ministry of radio to go on HAM. Which he says is why there are so many fucktards on there.

They also all get pissed on a Friday and row with each other on CB.

• Informative 1

I too got my licence in 1987 (hmm -- might have been '86).  And then I lost it (as in misplaced, rather than as a result of broadcasting The Birdy Song 24/7 on 431.85Mhz).  In more recent years I wanted to start up again, and passed again (easier this time -- precious little circuitry, no Morse, but something about 3 pin plugs having shrouds on the pins).  That said, I do have power restrictions that I'll need to upgrade -- but up until now I've not seen the need.

I have a feeling that I've broken the law by not keeping my address up to date with the Department of Radio Transmission Stuff.

Anyway, I have some HF stuff but mainly VHF.  I quite liked 80m back in the olden days, but I don't have a long enough piece of wire any more.

• Agree 1

I have an old Radioshack scanner and a car ham radio. But ive never used either as ive never been motivated to use either and invest in aerials. My mate used to be a licenced ham but gave up as there literally was "nothing except static" on the airwaves.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Green Devil said:

I have an old Radioshack scanner and a car ham radio. But ive never used either as ive never been motivated to use either and invest in aerials. My mate used to be a licenced ham but gave up as there literally was "nothing except static" on the airwaves.

No there's loads of people. I've sat in my friend's radio room and listened to him tuning in to people all around the world. It's amazing.
He does have a couple of aerials though. (Giggles)

On 07/12/2020 at 09:29, MrPin said:

I got my Amateur Radio licence in 1987. Do many people still have an interest in this?

If you get too good at it do they take away your "amateur" licence ?.

Edited by goldbug9999

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Are they?

how do you make money at it?

Dunno about these days.  In the olden days it was things like taxis using CB, etc.  

You would imagine that in these days they'd use something easier and more reliable.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, dgul said:

They're very keen on taking it away if you use it to make money.

I might be way off here so correct if off the mark.

I looked at long range "walkie talkies".

It seemed I had to be a business ( ok) and buying them, the company would help me or complete admin for licence. It seemed Targeted at mini cab type business.

I have an argument I can use.

Anyone know if there is a difference here for powerful CB type/radio?

I kinda look at the option once a year more for the episodic...shit hits the fan situation and mobile/net gets closed.

I reach the point of maybe going for it but then it just seems complicated and stop.

Actually I get distracted by satellite phone/net..see the price and think nope.

1 hour ago, The Grey Man said:

I might be way off here so correct if off the mark.

I looked at long range "walkie talkies".

I kinda look at the option once a year more for the episodic...shit hits the fan situation and mobile/net gets closed.

If you're keen buy a pair/more of Baofeng UV-5R VHF/UHF transceivers (there might be more modern equivalents, so do some research).  They cost about £25 each.

Their UHF frequency range covers PMR446, which is a 'free to use' range of frequencies, so you could set them up at a selection of those frequencies and limit the power to 0.5W (do some research, start here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446) and use them legally as walkie talkies*.

Then, if TSHTF, you could switch to higher power and maybe VHF (usually better) and get increased range -- it'll be illegal, but at that point who'll care.

Even better, get the Baofang and then pass your Radio Amateur Foundation Licence (about £30 and you'll need to learn some easy technical stuff), and then you could practice using the VHF portion of the transceiver legally.  Get in touch with your local amateur radio group (they're all over the place).

Even more usefully, with the Amateur Radio licence training you could learn how you might replace the teeny antenna with a much better one to get significantly increased range (particularly at VHF) -- this is especially useful if you go for a homestation + remote-handheld setup if TSHTF).  You'll also find out about shortwave stuff, which is an area that might be useful come Armageddon.

[* Well, technically they're not legal -- the PMR446 conditions stipulate that they must have a permanent antenna (etc etc), whereas the Baofeng has a removable antenna (etc etc) -- but no-one listening would be able to tell.  details, details]

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

If you're keen buy a pair/more of Baofeng UV-5R VHF/UHF transceivers (there might be more modern equivalents, so do some research).  They cost about £25 each.

I'd add a little -- please don't get them and muck about outside the PMR446 wavelengths, or do PMR446 at higher power -- the PMR part is just inconvenient for others users, but at VHF frequencies you could readily cause trouble (eg, interfere with people using those frequencies for safety critical stuff).

If you want to do VHF learn how to do VHF (and get a licence).

[if TSHTF all bets are off anyway -- do what you like]

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, dgul said:

Their UHF frequency range covers PMR446, which is a 'free to use' range of frequencies, so you could set them up at a selection of those frequencies and limit the power to 0.5W (do some research, start here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446) and use them legally as walkie talkies*.

Then, if TSHTF, you could switch to higher power and maybe VHF (usually better) and get increased range -- it'll be illegal, but at that point who'll care.

Even better, get the Baofang and then pass your Radio Amateur Foundation Licence (about £30 and you'll need to learn some easy technical stuff), and then you could practice using the VHF portion of the transceiver legally.  Get in touch with your local amateur radio group (they're all over the place).

Even more usefully, with the Amateur Radio licence training you could learn how you might replace the teeny antenna with a much better one to get significantly increased range (particularly at VHF) -- this is especially useful if you go for a homestation + remote-handheld setup if TSHTF).  You'll also find out about shortwave stuff, which is an area that might be useful come Armageddon.

[* Well, technically they're not legal -- the PMR446 conditions stipulate that they must have a permanent antenna (etc etc), whereas the Baofeng has a removable antenna (etc etc) -- but no-one listening would be able to tell.  details, details]

Wow. Way cheaper than what I have gandered at. My location is on a hill.

Other recievers are all way down from me..family.

Thats a whole area of reading opened up.

Thanks. D.

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Is that a receiver, or a transceiver...?

I remember reading a review years ago for a Kenwood branded car receiver that had more bands than the Salvation Army....!

XYY

Two way. Looks like quite a decent bit of kit, in the attic so don't know what it's called. Proper amateur radio, but in a CB size package. I've been meaning to fit it in the car, but never got round to it. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, dgul said:

These are able to transmit on all the emergency bands, so don't transmit unless you are in an emergency. They are often used by say kayakers boaters or climbers who might need to contact the coastguard for example as a mayday. THEY are not walkie talkies. And shouldn't be used as such, more as an emergency broadcast radio. 

I'd get a pair of say retevis walkie talkies if I wanted to use the transmit feature. 

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

Wow. Way cheaper than what I have gandered at. My location is on a hill.

Other recievers are all way down from me..family.

Thats a whole area of reading opened up.

Thanks. D.

I've found generally there is nothing on the bands. The only ones in use are the marine bands. Often useful to listening in to coastguard conversations/rescues etc. But you won't hear anything unless you're 10 miles or less from the coast. Amateur SW bands may have something from afar but you'd need a proper station and aerial. Vhf bands are only line of sight. 

6 hours ago, One percent said:

Excellent hobby in a SHTF scenario.  :)

I was saying this many years back, to a colleague. All your phone and internet could be "cut off", although I don't suppose it will be.

Anyway, like @dgul, I forgot to renew my licence for many years, when it cost £15 a year. I found my old certificate, and got my old callsign back. It's now free, which I actually think is wrong.

• Agree 1

On 07/12/2020 at 10:50, The XYY Man said:

I have been shortwave listener since I was a small boy, and have owned scanners for VHF/UHF, but for some reason I've never wanted to transmit.

you could transmit SSTV pictures of your arse.

• Lol 1

9 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

These are able to transmit on all the emergency bands, so don't transmit unless you are in an emergency. They are often used by say kayakers boaters or climbers who might need to contact the coastguard for example as a mayday. THEY are not walkie talkies. And shouldn't be used as such, more as an emergency broadcast radio. 

I'd get a pair of say retevis walkie talkies if I wanted to use the transmit feature. 

Quite -- that's why I put in my additional reply about 'please don't...'

Quite amazing that they're available to buy at all, really.  I'm surprised that their full range of frequencies aren't jammed full of idiots chatting.

I set mine up with PMR446 freq and power programmed in and under 'normal use' they 'just work' and are difficult enough to shift into other bands (although not impossible -- I'd be wary of kids mucking about with them).

I have used them on VHF, which is okay but clearly not like SW.

I really would advise anyone who got one or something similar get their ham licence.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

Quite -- that's why I put in my additional reply about 'please don't...'

Quite amazing that they're available to buy at all, really.  I'm surprised that their full range of frequencies aren't jammed full of idiots chatting.

I set mine up with PMR446 freq and power programmed in and under 'normal use' they 'just work' and are difficult enough to shift into other bands (although not impossible -- I'd be wary of kids mucking about with them).

I have used them on VHF, which is okay but clearly not like SW.

I really would advise anyone who got one or something similar get their ham licence.

The idiots aren't interested in radio chat. 

They are too busy playing Call of Duty Black Ops 😂

36 minutes ago, dgul said:

There's the internet for that.

Yes, those Chinese handsets go well outside of the band allowed for Amateur use. You may hear builders, railway workers, and the local mosque, but you shouldn't answer back.

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

Don't you go giving me daft ideas mind Guglielmo...

XYY

https://www.onallbands.com/ft8-what-is-it-and-how-can-i-get-started/

You probably tried this, then?

I use one of these, with the audio to the computer.

https://icomuk.co.uk/ic-r8500-communications-receiver/4087/1197/104/