DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Does anyone else find they are watching films/TV and constantly find themselves picking out the black/ethnic actors and thinking they are only there to make up the racial percentages and their acting is s***

Apart from going on a run I had a really lazy weekend and decided after several mad weeks of work to get a few beers and a bottle of Malt and just watch a load of TV in my cosy home with it freezing outside.

I went through Netflix, Now, Amazon and sorry to say this but even peaked at the BBC, I did like their comedy Pulling so watched a few of them again. But is it just me or do you find yourself watching these new modern woke TV series and films and thinking right she/he is in that to make up the racial balance. Obviously 10% would be just fine for the UK for ethnic numbers, but they seem to well over shoot and there are far more.

Now I really don't mind this and as far as I am concerned they could fill the TV screens with 100% ethnics if their talents were brilliant and far better, but they are not and more often not they are shit and totally out of place and context, I don't want to see a Jamaican in a Christmas Carol or a Congolese actor playing Oliver Cromwell.

I love good historical drama and would love to see someone really take on post Roman Empire and the Dark ages for example, but I would turn it off in a second if there were several black actors good or bad, it just straight away does not fit.

I just wish they would stop this virtual signalling and pick great black actors when they are great and put them in the right context where they are believable 

Must be a great time to be a black 'extra' actor.  Any scene with a cop needed to just stand about - black.  An important looking court official - black.  Must be raking it in.

I watched 'Guilt'* - a BBC Scotland drama set in Edinburgh (Leith to be precise).  Now the main characters were all white - but, of course the lesbian and a main polis woman were black.

*PS it was actually quite good.

Not sure.  There are a few obvious examples, I suppose.  Maybe I don't watch enough TV.  I have noticed that there are lots of good* black actors out there.  And the vast majority of them don't go on about how they've been taken advantage of, etc.

[* IMO most 'people who declare themselves to be actors' are at least okay, with only a few 'excellent'.  The selection process for TV shows seems to involve attributes other than acting talent, which appears to be sort-of assumed.]

My favourite example in recent times was Grace and Frankie, where one of them (Lily Tomlin, most famous as the brunette from 'Nine to Five') had two sons, one black and one white -- and absolutely nothing was made of it (except for a very few gags).  Very amusing.

What I have noticed is that, in detective crime dramas the 'boss' these days is usually either a hard working woman struggling against a patriarchal system, or a maverick man who turns out to be bad.  This isn't reflective of 'actual police' (where it'll either be a worn-out man or a bitchy woman**).

[** this isn't actually true, but it is exactly as non-true as the 'hard working woman' trope]

36 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

Apart from going on a run I had a really lazy weekend and decided after several mad weeks of work to get a few beers and a bottle of Malt and just watch a load of TV in my cosy home with it freezing outside.

I went through Netflix, Now, Amazon and sorry to say this but even peaked at the BBC, I did like their comedy Pulling so watched a few of them again. But is it just me or do you find yourself watching these new modern woke TV series and films and thinking right she/he is in that to make up the racial balance. Obviously 10% would be just fine for the UK for ethnic numbers, but they seem to well over shoot and there are far more.

Now I really don't mind this and as far as I am concerned they could fill the TV screens with 100% ethnics if their talents were brilliant and far better, but they are not and more often not they are shit and totally out of place and context, I don't want to see a Jamaican in a Christmas Carol or a Congolese actor playing Oliver Cromwell.

I love good historical drama and would love to see someone really take on post Roman Empire and the Dark ages for example, but I would turn it off in a second if there were several black actors good or bad, it just straight away does not fit.

I just wish they would stop this virtual signalling and pick great black actors when they are great and put them in the right context where they are believable 

No.

Except maybe in period dramas on the Beeb, where they put black people in roles where the person portrayed, fictional or not, would obviously have been white, which is fucking stupid.

That said, in the past white actors have played roles that should clearly have been taken by a non-white actor, but two wrongs don't make a right.

BTW there would certainly have been a few black and brown people knocking around in the Roman army.

26 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Achilles in the bbc version of Troy is black but the mermodom ie his warriors are white.they are Greek.it would make more sense haveing black actors playing has allies to Troy has it was er closer to Africa but it’s slowly grown on me 

And maybe have more black actors around the birth of Christianity or Egyptian history for example

Depends if it is appropriate. If I watched EastEnders, Coronation Street or an urban drama then it is appropriate. I don't watch but I suspect non-whites are still underrepresented in those. If it is something rural then it should be 95% white. Pre-war drama should be entirely white unless set overseas with the possible exception of something set in the docks.

As a kid I'd watch Desmond's and that was fine. The casting should fit the program.

2 minutes ago, Melchett said:

No.

You need to pick better stuff to watch. Or stop watching stuff when it turns out to be shit

What I am getting at is when a new production is starting the producers are gathered around a table and I am suggesting that part of the equation is now making sure that the right percentage of black/ethnic actors are in that play/TV series/film and that should never be the case.

It should always be on merit

1 minute ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Depends if it is appropriate. If I watched EastEnders, Coronation Street or an urban drama then it is appropriate. I don't watch but I suspect non-whites are still underrepresented in those. If it is something rural then it should be 95% white. Pre-war drama should be entirely white unless set overseas with the possible exception of something set in the docks.

As a kid I'd watch Desmond's and that was fine. The casting should fit the program.

Exactly.

One of the big reasons we do not move on as a society is that we don't face up to what is really happening and deal with it head on. TV and films would have you believe we live in this rainbow nation and we all get on wonderfully. I have friends in Peterborough where I once used to visit quite often and where they have a very large Muslim population, now the simple fact is that the Muslims live in their part of town on the whole and within their groups and the whites do the same. And I dare say much of the rest of the country is the same, now maybe if TV reflected that we might go a long way to repairing the divide.

No.

Older films are less woke and easier to find online.

Anything modern and Western is guaranteed to be pushing an agenda. Foreign stuff, not so much. Watched a great Russian film where a single, muscular Russian marine unashamedly killed a boatload of dark skinned ragheads who had hijacked an oil tanker. A good role model for Russian men! That would never be made in the West.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2856896/

Edited by apples
remembered the title!
1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

Achilles in the bbc version of Troy is black but the mermodom ie his warriors are white.they are Greek.it would make more sense haveing black actors playing has allies to Troy has it was er closer to Africa but it’s slowly grown on me 

Indeed, particularly as one of the allies of Troy was Memnon, king of the Ethiopians who is in the Illiad but not the BBC production.

That said the main problem with the BBCs Troy was not the ethnicity of the actors but the fact it was shite.

Edited by Virgil Caine
29 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

There are loads of brilliant black/ethnic actors, presenters etc out there

Yes.  I have a feeling (but don't know) that there are a greater percentage of good black actors than the average would suggest.

Not because BAME make better actors, but because of the privilege system in UK media; lots of the traditional employers (BBC, particularly) takes on a relatively high proportion of public school mates for presenters, etc, leaving the non-wealthy to have a higher bar to jump.  This bias is the system makes life harder for the non-wealthy, which includes a higher percentage of BAME.  (ie, working-class white actors on TV are likely also 'better than the mean').

[I'd note this is on top of the usual difficulties in acting (supporting yourself in between jobs), which is easier if you've got a trust-fund to tide you over*]

[* eg, a friend of mine's daughter is a budding young actress.  She's very enthusiastic and has been in that game for over 3 years now.  She seems to always be seeing a coach and has never had a paid acting job (plenty of unpaid jobs, though).  I'm sure that eventually she'll land herself a role that'll fund her lifestyle for a few years (she is quite a good actress, IMO).  In the meantime, it's handy that her dad's wealthy]

The problem is the progressives want it both ways. One the one hand they want 'colourblind' casting, where we are supposed to suspend disbelief about Victorian England being full of black and asian people, but on the other we are supposed to be 'colour-sighted' whenever they want to push an agenda about Bammies in modern society.

The other weird thing is the obsession with racial miscegenation (mixed race relationships/families) in advertising. I don't have a problem with this in 'real life' but what I object to is the way this is constantly pushed in TV advertising to an un-representative degree, which is clear evidence of an agenda.

2 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

The problem is the progressives want it both ways. One the one hand they want 'colourblind' casting, where we are supposed to suspend disbelief about Victorian England being full of black and asian people, but on the other we are supposed to be 'colour-sighted' whenever they want to push an agenda about Bammies in modern society.

This.

Edited by Virgil Caine

The solution to this epidemic of diversity gone mad is to have a fixed quota/percentage of ethnics allowed on TV.

Given that England is about 94% white, making sure a similar percentage is replicated on TV would fix any diversity for diversity's sake bollocks . If advertisers or producers flout it they get fined.

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

One of Troys allies were the Aethiopians (Sub Sahara Africa)

Obviously not many BBC Execs doing classics these days. More your sort of Sociology and Politics types from The Polytechnic of SE London

25 minutes ago, spunko said:

The solution to this epidemic of diversity gone mad is to have a fixed quota/percentage of ethnics allowed on TV.

Given that England is about 94% white, making sure a similar percentage is replicated on TV would fix any diversity for diversity's sake bollocks . If advertisers or producers flout it they get fined.

We had Trevor McDonald as the main news presenter on TV for 10 years (he was regular long before that)

So that's black new anchors locked out of news presenting for the next 200 years on a proportional basis.

Just to correct you England is 86% white, but specifically "Afro-caribbean" make up only 3%.

Of course in my youth there were no black faces on TV....  apart from Trevor McDonald, Derek Griffiths, Floella Benjamin, Lenny Henry, Andi Peters, Gary Willmot, Moira Stewart, Rustie Lee, Mr Motivator........

2 hours ago, dgul said:

Not sure.  There are a few obvious examples, I suppose.  Maybe I don't watch enough TV.  I have noticed that there are lots of good* black actors out there.  And the vast majority of them don't go on about how they've been taken advantage of, etc.

Paterson Jaffercake (or whatever he is called) who is a good actor was moaning about the lack of roles for black actors in the Guardian recently (of course it might all be misreporting by the Guardian). He seems to pick up good roles and given that black actors get 20% of roles they would appear to be over represented. Maybe he doesn't' get the roles Tom Cruise gets and that pisses him off?[1]

I don't watch any BBC crap but I imagine they have a whole charter of quotas and storylines to respect these days.

[1] Just checked Paterson was staring in left wing fantasy 0 and X where black Africa conquered Europe and now lords it up over the whites.

Edited by Dave Bloke