DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Keto Diet

Libspero

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Libspero

• stop_the_craziness

• Vendetta

• Roger_Mellie

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just finished a month of doing yoga every day. Ended up looking fatter and in a bit of pain from various muscles being stretched. The worst part is how depressed it makes you feel. I also feel less

Weight loss is going again, went to the toilet last night and I must have been backed up to the neck.  1.6 lb down this morning. 

Just over two weeks of monitoring now and I think I've found my ideal levels.  50-60g of net carbs a day seems to retain the benefit of controlling my raging hunger (so presumably better controlled bl

Posted Images

Hail the Tripod

Just as a general point on keto/caveman diets. It is often held out as a fact that grains haven’t been in our diet long enough for our digestive system to adapt. We, as in all Homo sapiens, have over 10 times the amount of amylase in our saliva as chimps, and over 4 times as much as Neanderthals (as estimated from genetic sequencing). This demonstrates considerable adaptation to eating starchy carbohydrates for us as a species and going back a very long way.

Additionally, analysis of plaques on teeth of the earliest modern human remains indicates starchy foods including grains were an integral part of the diet.

This is not to say that it isn’t possible, or even likely, that people eat too much of this now, or that it is now frequently too refined. Just that these things are not in themselves novel in our diet, and that attempts to eliminate them are not a return to a more “natural diet”.

• Agree 2
Libspero

I think I'd draw a distinction between Keto and Paleo.. they are quite different beasts.

I tried paleo a while back (wife got into it)..  I wasn't keen because the "science" seemed mostly BS and it didn't seem to help me lose any weight or feel any healthier.   

Keto is just one of many rebranded Atkins diets,  but it really does provide superb appetite suppression.  I also feel a lot more "balanced"..  I don't get daily periods of energy and periods of exhaustion..  and I am sleeping a lot better.

On the flip side,  when I do exert myself I tend to lose steam more quickly and take longer to recover,  presumably because of lower levels of "energy food" in the blood.    The other down side is it did cause some mild gout,  but that is something I have had before and so didn't come as a surprise..   I'm mitigating that by reducing red meats and focusing more on eggs, fish, chicken and vegetables.  

I think what is helping me stick to it is the provision for a fairly varied diet over and above what you are allowed on Atkins.  I find I can eat most vegetables and even limited amounts of grains (like wild rice) without sparking hunger pangs or carb cravings.

After a month and a bit I am down by around 6 kilos and losing steadily,  with no hunger, no cravings,  and a fairly varied diet..  meaning I could se this becoming a lifestyle rather than a diet.    I'm going to start introducing more whole grain carbs in a few weeks to try to make it a bit more of a "balanced" diet..   but I really find I don't miss the stodge and the sugar at all.

• Agree 4
nirvana

Sounds like a load o bollocks.........keto = high fat? You eat fat you get fat :P Plus all that fatty shit will get clogged up in your arteries......there was this video years ago, some fatty having a heart op, the surgeon opened his arteries, shoved his hand in and withdrew loads of gunk that he slopped in the metal tray....

Eating fat doesn't make you fat. Quite the reverse. We feel satiated once we've eaten enough fat. Only eating fat can cause anorexia type symptoms, including loss of appetite.

That's why 'low fat and 'fat free' foods are dangerous. When the fat has been taken out, the food doesn't taste as good. So to get some taste back, sugar is added. It's not a coincidence that only fatties consume 'low fat and 'fat free' foods.

All the lardasses you see got there by eating carbs. Lots and lots and lots of carbs.

• Agree 4
nirvana
4 minutes ago, jm51 said:

All the lardasses you see got there by eating carbs. Lots and lots and lots of carbs.

hmmm dunno, methinks they ate too many fatty burgers with fatty cheese.......washed down with sweet drinks and sugary desserts......with biscuits and energy drinks in between...

yeah ok pizza too; be interesting to see the fat vs carb breakdown on a typical pizza..

• Agree 1
Libspero
2 hours ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

Sounds like a load o bollocks...

I don’t disagree.

If you are a healthy weight and don’t have any trouble regulating your calorie intake..  I think it would absolutely make sense to eat a normally balanced diet.

But for me,  getting back to my ideal weight is more important to me now..  I’ve got podgy since the kids came along and I’ve just not been able to shift it.  If Keto helps me achieve this, I’m happy to risk some of the other side effects to achieve a healthy weight.    I’ll work on the basis that if I get that cracked,  everything else will follow..

• Agree 1
Libspero
38 minutes ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

hmmm dunno, methinks they ate too many fatty burgers with fatty cheese.......washed down with sweet drinks and sugary desserts......with biscuits and energy drinks in between.

That’s the stereo type..   and in some cases is probably true.

I got fat eating good home cooked food.  In excess.

Knickerless Turgid
1 minute ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

Good luck! I think the exercise is very important too.......I know easier said than done when you've got a job, kids etc

As one ages, it becomes increasingly about the kitchen. That's why you see so many fat labourers in their 40s and up, despite 40+ hours a week of hard physical work.

Libspero
24 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

I'm on board. Just finished of the last of the oranges. Plan to live of omelets and milk for the next few weeks.

If you have the time and the inclination you don’t have to eat monotonously.  For example,  if you have a spiraliser you could make courgetti spaghetti.. and serve with prawns and chicken pieces in a garlic and cream sauce.

Lunch we often do spicy tuna (mayo, hot sauce, sliced spring onion, alt, pepper) served wrapped in Romain Lettuce like a taco.

But the first week you’ll probably just hammer the bacon, eggs, sausages and black pudding..   just because you can :D

nirvana
45 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

milk

that's really bad for you, especially the full fat stuff* :P

I recall seeing a vegan having a rant about milk 'we're not baby cows, we don't need effing milk'

I like it on my cereal for breakie.....low fat, bio stuff for me but I was gonna try and make some oak milk but it looked like too much of it PITA...

Actually you've just reminded me I meant to look for vegan stuff again in Aldi, it tasted ok last time

*best thing Thatcher did, stop giving fatty milk out at school...

Edited by 5min OCD speculator
Hail the Tripod
1 hour ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

I recall seeing a vegan having a rant about milk 'we're not baby cows, we don't need effing milk'

And yet vegetables are entirely wonderful and “natural”, even though you have to cook most of them to ameliorate their toxicity sufficiently to prevent yourself becoming immediately sick.

• Agree 2

I think most of these just make you cut down on sugar a lot. And by doing that you're going to lose weight unless you go crazy on the "fatty" stuff. 

But as noted already the fatty stuff fills you up a lot quicker. So it's unlikely. 

It's just basic logic really ? :Old:

• Agree 4
nirvana
8 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

And yet vegetables are entirely wonderful and “natural”, even though you have to cook most of them to ameliorate their toxicity sufficiently to prevent yourself becoming immediately sick.

vegetables and plants are completely wonderful! It's not their fault the selfish fat humans have ruined the ground in which they are grown.......grow your own biologically friendly and never look back ;)

18 hours ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

hmmm dunno, methinks they ate too many fatty burgers with fatty cheese.......washed down with sweet drinks and sugary desserts......with biscuits and energy drinks in between...

yeah ok pizza too; be interesting to see the fat vs carb breakdown on a typical pizza..

Take away the fatty burgers and cheese and they will want to eat even more carbs.

There is a very high limit to how many carbs a person can eat in a day. 5k cals a day for some fatties. Fat is self limiting as is protein.

The reason body builders use protein shakes is because that's the only way they can consume so much protein. Glug glug glug. No way they could eat the same amount of protein every day if rabbit meat was their only option.

ime on building sites, older labourers have learned to work smarter rather than harder. They got more done in a day than youngster me and it cost them a lot less energy. Add in a few decades of regular beer drinking and they're overweight.

• Cheers 1
Libspero
14 hours ago, ccc said:

I think most of these just make you cut down on sugar a lot. And by doing that you're going to lose weight unless you go crazy on the "fatty" stuff. 

But as noted already the fatty stuff fills you up a lot quicker. So it's unlikely. 

It's just basic logic really ? :Old:

perhaps..  but I think the real reason is that carbs are cheap and abundant.

Most dishes are based around the meat and carbs..  chicken and pasta, meat and potato,  rice and fish..  etc.

We never usually have desserts or snack on chocolate etc.  But second helpings of mains were the becoming the norm.

You take out the carbs and you have fish and courgette,  meat and cauliflower,  chicken and cabbage..  there’s something you won’t get fat on!  But because you lose the carbs,  you don’t get the hunger pangs you otherwise would either.  

That’s my experience so far anyway.

Once I’ve lost a few more pounds I may join you on the 20k barefoot running before breakfast thread..  but’ll need a few more months first :Beer:

• Agree 1
stop_the_craziness
9 hours ago, jm51 said:

The reason body builders use protein shakes is because that's the only way they can consume so much protein. Glug glug glug. No way they could eat the same amount of protein every day if rabbit meat was their only option.

I vaguely remember an interview with the Olympic rowing squad (the Steve Redgrave lot) who all said that one of the hardest parts of the training was the eating.  Having to eat vast amounts of calories from "proper" high-protein food was really depressing and tiresome.  They all hated it.

Edited by stop_the_craziness
Hail the Tripod
20 hours ago, jm51 said:

The reason body builders use protein shakes is because that's the only way they can consume so much protein. Glug glug glug.

You can get inventive with protein powder. Protein donuts anyone? https://thecleaneatingcouple.com/clean-eating-protein-donuts/#wprm-recipe-container-8562

Fairly confident these still wouldn’t actually be “keto friendly” though.

steppensheep

Had ten eggs and 100g of coconut fat yesterday and came within a whisker of throwing up in the night. had to take the bucket into the bathroom at 4am but luckily managed to release the pressure via the lower outlet. Feel ok now but not looking forward to food. I've eaten 7 or 8 eggs before now, so probably the coconut. Kind of hard work to even hit 2000 calories. Down 5lbs in two days. Don't want to overdo it. Off for my run now.

• Informative 2
Libspero
10 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Had ten eggs and 100g of coconut fat yesterday and came within a whisker of throwing up in the night. had to take the bucket into the bathroom at 4am but luckily managed to release the pressure via the lower outlet. Feel ok now but not looking forward to food. I've eaten 7 or 8 eggs before now, so probably the coconut. Kind of hard work to even hit 2000 calories. Down 5lbs in two days. Don't want to overdo it. Off for my run now.

Are you vegetarian? 

Can’t see why you’d do that to yourself O.o  (all the eggs and coconut that is).

I’m planning a Lamb Rogan Josh with KETO naan breads for tomorrow as my end of week treat.   Can’t frickin wait :D

• Cheers 1
18 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Are yo in to "extreme competative eating"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competitive_eating

• Agree 1
Libspero

Just to prove losing weight on KETO doesn’t have to be plain and repetitive..  tonight’s dinner of lamb rogan josh with keto naan:

CDC80035-C6-B6-4-C3-C-8-FEB-52143-B35926

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 2