DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Keto Diet

Libspero

On 28/09/2021 at 22:16, steppensheep said:

Weight not too bad on the scales (154lbs) ...

On 01/12/2021 at 16:27, steppensheep said:

...Will have an opportunity to weigh myself immenently, which should be motivation for a reset. (I expect it will be around 170lbs. If it's more I will be pissed off)

Came in at 165lbs but not sure if I trust the scales. But even if it's right 10lbs excess is like 20 packs of butter strapped to my belly. So committing for a week - till the 16th at least.

Today's menu

Scotch egg

Cheddar 150g

Roast beef 110g

Milk 250ml

Polish cream cheese 200g 

Approx 2020 cals, 33g carbs, 100g protein

Macros worked out pretty well as I just chose what I wanted. Might have to cut back on the scotch eggs a bit. They're a bit carby.

Edit, 2 glasses red wine but I'm counting those as free.

Edited by steppensheep

Anyone who likes boiled eggs, grab yourself one of these egg cookers on amazon there's loads different brands, makes it so much easier soft, medium or hard boiled in minutes and they turn themselves off once done

So no standing around watch boiling water

can do omelettes too

1420343533_Screenshot2021-12-09at11_02_59.thumb.png.a234565a76bc9f3022166f8c7e29d2b9.png

Edited by DoINeedOne
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DoINeedOne said:

Anyone who likes boiled eggs, grab yourself one of these egg cookers on amazon there's loads different brands, makes it so much easier soft, medium or hard boiled in minutes and they turn themselves off once done

So no standing around watch boiling water

can do omelettes too

1420343533_Screenshot2021-12-09at11_02_59.thumb.png.a234565a76bc9f3022166f8c7e29d2b9.png

Coddled eggs are better :Old:

As a kid one of my favourite recipes was two eggs soft boiled, lobbed in a cup with a tbsp of butter. Stir then eat B|

• 3 weeks later...

I find life just too dull in permanent strict keto. Beer is definitely one of the exceptions you just have to make, if you like beer. Drinking red wine or vodka is far more keto friendly but you do get sick of it.

Been in keto broadly since early November. I check it every day with a breathalyser thing. Doesn't take much to put you into "only-just" keto but I find it's worth it now and then. If I go to the pub I don't go mad on the beer but I really don't fancy having sparkly water. A couple of times I have been out of keto completely for a day then it comes back.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seasonally I’m back on the waggon..  resolving to have another good go at it this year.  Been Keto (or at least very low carb) since Jan 1st.

Anyone else have weight loss as a New Years resolution,  and doing  Keto?

Roger_Mellie
13 hours ago, Libspero said:

Seasonally I’m back on the waggon..  resolving to have another good go at it this year.  Been Keto (or at least very low carb) since Jan 1st.

Continuing keto for me. Still fairly strict. My weight has equilibrated at beween 160 and 165.

• Agree 1

I've ended up eating too much (although it was low carb), feeling a bit tired all the time, and not losing weight.

I've now added carbs after gym in the morning and small amount in the evening.  

On 10/01/2022 at 22:22, Libspero said:

Yes back on a keto since the start of Jan.

Also fasting 4 days a week.

• Agree 1

On 15/01/2022 at 09:12, Bear Hug said:

I've ended up eating too much (although it was low carb), feeling a bit tired all the time, and not losing weight.

If it makes you feel better,   I did the same towards the end of last year.

I think a break,  as long as you don't go completely crazy is probably a good thing.

I feel I'm starting again as I did last year,  but this time from a lower base.  Hopefully after a few years of rinse and repeat and periods of low carb keto I can meet my long term goals.   Hopefully.

• Informative 2

stop_the_craziness

Back in the Keto game after a short experimental hiatus.   1.5kg up which isn't so bad as I stuck to Keto-style meals (which I prefer anyway) and just went a bit carb-tastic on the snacks because I was on a cycling trip for most of December and early January. When I got back I had planned to then do 3 weeks fully off-wagon but I could feel after about 2 weeks that the negatives were starting to outweigh the positives so I jacked it in on day 16 in the end.

One of my Christmas presents from a friend was a Keto cookbook but it was really disappointing and exactly the sort of thing that gives Keto a bad reputation.  It was American and it might as well have been called the processed meat plus cheese cookbook.  It was endless recipes of uber-junk, with people presumably thinking they were doing themselves good because they were laying off the fries part of the meal.  All of the breakfasts were keto versions of pancake/waffle/muffin type junk, sweetened with sugar substitutes too, which can't be good either.

The thing I've noticed most about how I cook now is that I think about each meal in terms of the veg first and then what proteins & fats I'm going to add in to complement it.  I'm a bit like a 1970s thrifty housewife making a pack of lamb mince go a long way.  Which will be great training for when Klaus Schwab gets the meat rationing going for the proles.

Edited by stop_the_craziness
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Protein and veg should be the starting point of any meal. Carbs should only really be the cheap stomach filler if you've not got enough calories on the plate already.

My cupboards don't have any pasta, rice, cous cous, flour, bread or any of that nonsense.

Tonight it's stewed steak, garden peas and ginger "soup". An extra teaspoon of salt for gym recovery and maybe some turmeric and black pepper. 

• Agree 1

Roger_Mellie
9 hours ago, Stuey said:

Protein and veg should be the starting point of any meal. Carbs should only really be the cheap stomach filler if you've not got enough calories on the plate already.

My cupboards don't have any pasta, rice, cous cous, flour, bread or any of that nonsense.

Tonight it's stewed steak, garden peas and ginger "soup". An extra teaspoon of salt for gym recovery and maybe some turmeric and black pepper. 

I've got the butcher to do me a buffalo heart next week, going to try a buffalo heart stew. He's giving me it for nothing so if it's nice I'm getting free meat. Which is a bonus. 

• Cheers 1

steppensheep

Dr bikman of low carb fame. Bit of a long waffly vid, but metabolic syndrome / insulin resistance can be a cause of heartburn and tinnitus/ hearing problems.

• Informative 1

Low carb here since Christmas.  Would be keto without the porridge.  Could still be though.  I've never been a sugar eater but spat out a can of chilli con carne as soooo sweet.  Very noticeable positive health effects.  Surprisingly easy this time round.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 2

steppensheep
1 hour ago, Harley said:

I've never been a sugar eater but spat out a can of chilli con carne as soooo sweet.  Very noticeable positive health effects.  Surprisingly easy this time round.

Its amazing how sweet things like carrots and Brussels start to taste.

(Even though I'm somewhat lapsed at the moment, still have a heightened awareness for sweetness, although not sure if this is entirely a good thing. It may be my body searching it out where it can get it)

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Its amazing how sweet things like carrots and Brussels start to taste.

(Even though I'm somewhat lapsed at the moment, still have a heightened awareness for sweetness, although not sure if this is entirely a good thing. It may be my body searching it out where it can get it)

I need to rebalance away from adding a teaspoon of salt to most meals. Everything tastes bland without it.

However on the contrary, boring but healthy stuff can be made to taste exquisite. It's every good restaurant's trick really.

steppensheep
24 minutes ago, Stuey said:

I need to rebalance away from adding a teaspoon of salt to most meals. Everything tastes bland without it.

However on the contrary, boring but healthy stuff can be made to taste exquisite. It's every good restaurant's trick really.

Have you tried lo-salt, for a bit of extra potassium?

I've been noticing recently that I need to add salt to most supermarket meals, which is probably a sign I use too much. 

17 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Have you tried lo-salt, for a bit of extra potassium?

I've been noticing recently that I need to add salt to most supermarket meals, which is probably a sign I use too much. 

link to your own thread, salt may have been wrongly labelled as the bad guy in our diets.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

On 15/01/2022 at 09:12, Bear Hug said:

I do 'Time restricted feeding' but found that on those morningss where I did a 'Race pace' run I had no energy, even though I had a small breakfast beforehand. I have now modified my eating by having a small carb meal [usually oats or toast] the night before; usually 2hrs before bed. This appears to work, and I believe its because when I wake I still have some glucogen in my muscles rather than being fully fasted.

• Informative 1

stop_the_craziness
1 hour ago, MrXxxx said:

I do 'Time restricted feeding' but found that on those morningss where I did a 'Race pace' run I had no energy, even though I had a small breakfast beforehand. I have now modified my eating by having a small carb meal [usually oats or toast] the night before; usually 2hrs before bed. This appears to work, and I believe its because when I wake I still have some glucogen in my muscles rather than being fully fasted.

Most training plans only recommend that you undertake easy training in a fasted state.

• Agree 1

Snake Plissken
On 26/01/2022 at 13:43, Stuey said:

If you are not eating bread or processed food both which have a ton of salt added, I would add salt to your meals. Especially if you are exercising a lot too. When they talk about cutting down added salt its mainly because they assume your eating a ton of 'hidden' salt in your food anyway.

• Agree 4

14 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

13 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Most training plans only recommend that you undertake easy training in a fasted state.

Fasted training really is absolutely stupid. If you're going to exercise, it makes sense to want to make the most of it. Doing so while undernourished is bonkers.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter at all when you eat. One meal, five meals a day, it's all the same in the end.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2022 at 22:26, Snake Plissken said:

If you are not eating bread or processed food both which have a ton of salt added, I would add salt to your meals. Especially if you are exercising a lot too. When they talk about cutting down added salt its mainly because they assume your eating a ton of 'hidden' salt in your food anyway.

I did wonder.  Almost everything I eat is home cooked.  I get very little salt unless I add it, except when I use a stock cube.  I use the Himalayan salt.