Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Can we ban sport?


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

F1 drivers nearly get burnt to death

and this... 

 

It's a side-effect of professionalism. When you get 17 stone guys colliding at full whack multiple times a week over the length of a career then brain injuries are inevitable. 

Let's get back to amateur days: 15 stone props, 25% body fat, can't do a 100 metres in less than 20 seconds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

F1 drivers nearly get burnt to death

and this... 

 

I’d rather judges just decided against people who try to sue others for the foreseeable results of their own actions. It’s not like they were unaware there was some significant risk of serious injury, yet they chose to do it anyway, and in a very extreme way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

It's a side-effect of professionalism. When you get 17 stone guys colliding at full whack multiple times a week over the length of a career then brain injuries are inevitable. 

Let's get back to amateur days: 15 stone props, 25% body fat, can't do a 100 metres in less than 20 seconds. 

Or play the athletic, 13-a-side version

Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as boxing is allowed where immensely strong men put their full weight into smashing somebody in the head repeatedly then I can't see any other sport being banned.

All that you need to do is ensure that people are fully aware of the risks and to do something to particularly reduce those risks for u18s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

As long as boxing is allowed where immensely strong men put their full weight into smashing somebody in the head repeatedly then I can't see any other sport being banned.

All that you need to do is ensure that people are fully aware of the risks and to do something to particularly reduce those risks for u18s.

You do realise that's a "sport" too.

I never understood why there wasn't a sports channel for it all to be on so it didn't interrupt proper tv.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dancing is a dangerous sport. Years ago it was announced that dancing would for the first time be in the 2020 Olympics and I waited with interest but they are cancelled or delayed or something. I have been elbowed in the nose during ladies' unsuccessful triple spins, hands shredded by long fingernails and unsuitable rings/bangles, had my feet stilletto-stabbed, even drop kicked on occasions. Oh and once I caught scabies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Or play the athletic, 13-a-side version

That's even worse. Some of the collisions in league are sickening. Exciting, but still sickening.

Enhanced by the fact you can get a good 15 metres to build up steam before the collision, rarely happens in Union. 

I know its not a sport for pussies but they're going to have to find some way to tone down the collisions or they're going to end up being sued into oblivion. I used to be dead against taking tackling out of the kids games, but I'm all for it now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

As long as boxing is allowed where immensely strong men put their full weight into smashing somebody in the head repeatedly then I can't see any other sport being banned.

All that you need to do is ensure that people are fully aware of the risks and to do something to particularly reduce those risks for u18s.

Professionals fight 3 times a year max, the top guys less. Rugby is at least once a week so minor concussions that go unobserved are never healing. 

In Boxing if you get banjoed as a pro you can take all year off. If you get stopped as an amateur you get suspended. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the best fun stuff comes from sport though.

There was a US football team who fielded the first female player last week - management wanted to be woke or something. I think she came on to take a single kick. I don't know what the outcome was but apparently the entire squad resigned at the end of the game.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

That's even worse. Some of the collisions in league are sickening. Exciting, but still sickening.

Enhanced by the fact you can get a good 15 metres to build up steam before the collision, rarely happens in Union. 

I know its not a sport for pussies but they're going to have to find some way to tone down the collisions or they're going to end up being sued into oblivion. I used to be dead against taking tackling out of the kids games, but I'm all for it now. 

In league they generally go in stood upright though, rather than head first as in union. They've had to outlaw the shoulder first challenge too as that causes problems when there's a height differential..

The most dangerous challenge if anything is the one around or below knee height once a man is already restrained and feet planted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

There was a US football team who fielded the first female player last week - management wanted to be woke or something. I think she came on to take a single kick. I don't know what the outcome was but apparently the entire squad resigned at the end of the game.

Her team lost 41-0. 

It’s a really weird thing to try to celebrate. She’s not even an aspiring American football player FFS! She’s a goalkeeper in the apparently decent women’s soccer team who can take a decent goal kick. They just had literally no-one else on hand who could kick reliably.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Stuey said:

In league they generally go in stood upright though, rather than head first as in union. They've had to outlaw the shoulder first challenge too as that causes problems when there's a height differential..

The most dangerous challenge if anything is the one around or below knee height once a man is already restrained and feet planted.

When I played league as a kid/teen I used to love the shoulder charge, if you time it well and get it spot on the centre of mass you can put pretty much anyone down. I'm a shortarse and have put some really big lads on their arses with a shoulder charge. Don't try it when you're playing uphill though, always ends badly. 

Edit: agree on the head first bit in union, I guess it's because you have to get the ball to ground when you're tackled which necessitates going into the tackle low and leading with the head. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

That's even worse. Some of the collisions in league are sickening. Exciting, but still sickening.

Enhanced by the fact you can get a good 15 metres to build up steam before the collision, rarely happens in Union. 

I know its not a sport for pussies but they're going to have to find some way to tone down the collisions or they're going to end up being sued into oblivion. I used to be dead against taking tackling out of the kids games, but I'm all for it now. 

Used to look after a rugby guy that went into American football after he quit rugby has his daughter said it was safer.was a nightmare changing him he was 58 ish and very strong still has he used to work out but his outbursts got to much for the family to Handel. So yes I believe it’s very possible and we also used to get a few that had boxed when younger 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a former top level union player (he was pre professional era, but played for Wasps and Harlequins).

His body is completely and totally fucked. Pretty true of most professional sports people in that you imagine all that heath and fitness would set them up for life, but it's quite the reverse, there is only so much you can do to a body before it's utterly ruined in the mid to long run.

In terms of legal action, you would only have a leg to stand on if you could prove that a particular sports body knew there was an issue and didn't do anything about it, however if you yourself felt there was risk and did it anyway then I can't see what case you really have.

 

Edited by gilf
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I think there are stiill videos of American kids training for their football by being told to run, helmeted, head first at each other. Helmet to helmet tackling I think they call it.

 

Helmet to helmet tackling?

830F936E-2256-472B-A5AA-28801D1F3580.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

When I played league as a kid/teen I used to love the shoulder charge, if you time it well and get it spot on the centre of mass you can put pretty much anyone down. I'm a shortarse and have put some really big lads on their arses with a shoulder charge. Don't try it when you're playing uphill though, always ends badly. 

Edit: agree on the head first bit in union, I guess it's because you have to get the ball to ground when you're tackled which necessitates going into the tackle low and leading with the head. 

 

52 minutes ago, gilf said:

I know a former top level union player (he was pre professional era, but played for Wasps and Harlequins).

His body is completely and totally fucked. Pretty true of most professional sports people in that you imagine all that heath and fitness would set them up for life, but it's quite the reverse, there is only so much you can do to a body before it's utterly ruined in the mid to long run.

In terms of legal action, you would only have a leg to stand on if you could prove that a particular sports body knew there was an issue and didn't do anything about it, however if you yourself felt there was risk and did it anyway then I can't see what case you really have.

 

Getting out with your health in tact is difficult. 

 

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

Used to look after a rugby guy that went into American football after he quit rugby has his daughter said it was safer.was a nightmare changing him he was 58 ish and very strong still has he used to work out but his outbursts got to much for the family to Handel. So yes I believe it’s very possible and we also used to get a few that had boxed when younger 

Look what happened to Jermaine Taylor after he got banjoed a few times (including getting Cobra'd), turned from a nice bloke, lovely family man into a gun toting lunatic on a hair trigger. Blows to the head can properly fuck you up. Bruno is another one. Of course Ali paid for too many wars. Quite a few boxers with slurred speech. Paul Ingle is another, total fucking warrior who took one too many and ended up on life support and permanent brain damage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I think there are stiill videos of American kids training for their football by being told to run, helmeted, head first at each other. Helmet to helmet tackling I think they call it.

 

I can highly recommend watching this. Informative, and also a very good film

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion_(2015_film)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...