DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Why the change in our language?

Has anyone else noticed?  

First it was "take the knee".     It sounds really stilted, nothing like what most people would say.  Why not: "go down on one knee"?

Now it's "take the vaccine".   I've never heard anyone saying this before about any other vaccine.  People just say things like: "get vaccinated" or "have a jab" or something similar.

Before that it was everything had to be grabbed eg "grab a sandwich"; "grab a bargain" etc

Am I paranoid or is this some form of newspeak and if you don't join in........well who knows?  Maybe the famous nudge unit has been involved and "take the vaccine" is active so more likely to result in more people vaccinated whereas being vaccinated is passive so no MSM must use this phrase.

• Agree 6
sarahbell
Just now, janch said:

Has anyone else noticed?  

First it was "take the knee".     It sounds really stilted, nothing like what most people would say.  Why not: "go down on one knee"?

Now it's "take the vaccine".   I've never heard anyone saying this before about any other vaccine.  People just say things like: "get vaccinated" or "have a jab" or something similar.

Before that it was everything had to be grabbed eg "grab a sandwich"; "grab a bargain" etc

Am I paranoid or is this some form of newspeak and if you don't join in........well who knows?  Maybe the famous nudge unit has been involved and "take the vaccine" is active so more likely to result in more people vaccinated whereas being vaccinated is passive so no MSM must use this phrase.

We've had "grab a knee" too. Almost.

whitevanman

It all seems to come from the US, I keep hearing people in the media talk about ‘stepping up to the plate’ which I believe is a baseball metaphor. It’s complete nonsense in a British context

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1
Austin Allegro

'Grab a movie' is my favourite. It started off as the sort of thing only total dickhead Smashy and Nicie DJ types would say, you know those types that think they live in Dallas or LA while actually living in Surbiton or Golders Green. Now every bugger says it.

• Lol 1
eta-carinae

And I was like "why are you acting out a story of your own life with narration?".

And they were all like "I don't know it's how everyone talks now innit."

And I was like "isn't it all a bit childish and representing the descent into idiocracy that is our 21st century society, and the obsession with the self."

And they were all like *does a shrug*.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 5
Caravan Monster

I detest the use of 'you need to xyz', assume it came from one of the moral authoritarian groups or some propaganda unit.

• Cheers 1

Every little helps. That'll learn you.

Just moronic slogans made to be concise (typically three words) rather than accurate. Maybe they've done a study and the twatter/instagurner generation attention span is three words long. Maybe it's the optimum length for phone zombies to avoid word wrapping, before Dom Jolly started designing them into phablets to be ever larger so he could take his on the train without getting stared at. xD

• Cheers 1

"Don't be a clown, put the right details down"

Obviously, childish catchphrases encourage "Mike Hunt" and "Hugh Janus" to use their real names in pubs!

• Lol 2
Dogtania

Guilty as charged re grab , stick me against the wall.

Honestly if this becomes a regular vaccine thing, every few months. And it will be a case of maybe top up your social credit if your one of the first for a new batch or concoction, I can definitely see it becoming normal to hear "just going to grab the vaccine on the to work brah"

• Lol 1
goldbug9999

Every time I hear someone say "can I get a .." when ordering a drink in a coffee shop or bar it makes me want to punch them.

Edited by goldbug9999
  • Agree 2
Caravan Monster
On 08/12/2020 at 15:51, janch said:

Has anyone else noticed?  

xD Just noticed the 'our' in the thread title, as in 'our bbc', 'our nhs', 'our democracy'. Speaker uses 'our' to imply universal acceptance of their preferred interpretation of the named system.

On 08/12/2020 at 15:51, janch said:

Has anyone else noticed?  

Will read later, off out for a cheeky vaccine

Love the bantz

• Lol 1
3 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Every time I hear someone say "can I get a .." when ordering a drink in a coffee shop or bar it makes me want to punch them.

I hate all this  as well and even I found myself saying can I get a. I'm actively trying hard not to say it and it's not easy. It's so easy to slip into this style of American-originated speech. 

I was surprised when my young children actually started to speak with a slight US accent, then realised it was to be expected with their endless diet of Disney and Hollywood.

• Agree 1
stop_the_craziness
2 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I hate all this  as well and even I found myself saying can I get a. I'm actively trying hard not to say it and it's not easy. It's so easy to slip into this style of American-originated speech. 

I was surprised when my young children actually started to speak with a slight US accent, then realised it was to be expected with their endless diet of Disney and Hollywood.

We had a junior in our team that used to use the American terms for so many things - (e.g. felony instead of crime) and genuinely didn't know the British equivalents.

• Informative 1
Just now, Loki said:

Sad!

I was never very "woke" (what we call it now) but my ex-wife was and when we had the children we swore that we would treat them as equals, teach them about diversity, whatever shit, no smacking, never plonk them in front of the TV without being there to help them interpret and understand, all that.

Everything went out of the window as we were hit by the realities of life. We did our best but they had a fair bit of surfing their own way around the kids channels. 

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1
6 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I was never very "woke" (what we call it now) but my ex-wife was and when we had the children we swore that we would treat them as equals, teach them about diversity, whatever shit, no smacking, never plonk them in front of the TV without being there to help them interpret and understand, all that.

Everything went out of the window as we were hit by the realities of life. We did our best but they had a fair bit of surfing their own way around the kids channels. 

At that age I can just about remember my parents saying something about "Yank rubbish" so I guess I took that on board!

6 hours ago, Loki said:

At that age I can just about remember my parents saying something about "Yank rubbish" so I guess I took that on board!

My dad always used to say that.