Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Mass rent strike planned for University Halls


Andersen
 Share

Recommended Posts

University students are planning mass action in protest about rent at university halls in a year of during lockdowns & empty rooms. No mention of the student parties 9_9

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/dec/06/we-wont-be-cash-cows-uk-students-plan-the-largest-rent-strike-in-40-years

Not directly relevant to the private rented student accommodation - unless the rent strike spreads outside of the halls :ph34r:

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Andersen said:

University students are planning mass action in protest about rent at university halls in a year of during lockdowns & empty rooms. No mention of the student parties 9_9

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/dec/06/we-wont-be-cash-cows-uk-students-plan-the-largest-rent-strike-in-40-years

Not directly relevant to the private rented student accommodation - unless the rent strike spreads outside of the halls :ph34r:

They also need to consider withholding their fees.  9k for a prerecorded lecture streamed over the intranet.  

  • Agree 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, One percent said:

They also need to consider withholding their fees.  9k for a prerecorded lecture streamed over the intranet.  

I can see the students getting their fees refunded if they squeal loud enough in a few years. After all gov will see it as just more money printy printy. 

  • Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, One percent said:

They also need to consider withholding their fees.  9k for a prerecorded lecture streamed over the intranet.  

That's a little more tricky, since the fees are paid over to the universities by the student loan company.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

That's a little more tricky, since the fees are paid over to the universities by the student loan company.

 

Agree. It’s planned out weirdly so that the money automatically ticks over.  Is there an example of this framework used anywhere else?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Agree. It’s planned out weirdly so that the money automatically ticks over.  Is there an example of this framework used anywhere else?   

It's a shit system. I wouldn't be at all surprised though if we copied it off somebody else. Our politicians are too shit to come with anything themselves. They don't even have their own shit ideas.

 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Andersen said:

University students are planning mass action in protest about rent at university halls in a year of during lockdowns & empty rooms. No mention of the student parties 9_9

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/dec/06/we-wont-be-cash-cows-uk-students-plan-the-largest-rent-strike-in-40-years

Not directly relevant to the private rented student accommodation - unless the rent strike spreads outside of the halls :ph34r:

Won't work. The Halls admin will just send a letter before action to the parent guarantors.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

also don't pay your hall rent well then no degree for you, you don't get your grades and no graduation. The students have been totally stitched up by the Unis

  • Agree 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aye, total con. Told to come to campus so they were then commited to paying for the accommodation, then told the course is essentially Open University standard they could do mostly remotely. Then told not to mingle, party, and do the 'student experience' that a lot go for in the first place.

Universities putting their financial commitments (managed halls with contract to ensure full each term so university would take a hit of the students stayed away) before the students.

Than again, don't really need a university degree on David Beckham to become a tattooed chav burger flipper. :P

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Aye, total con. Told to come to campus so they were then commited to paying for the accommodation, then told the course is essentially Open University standard they could do mostly remotely. Then told not to mingle, party, and do the 'student experience' that a lot go for in the first place.

Universities putting their financial commitments (managed halls with contract to ensure full each term so university would take a hit of the students stayed away) before the students.

Than again, don't really need a university degree on David Beckham to become a tattooed chav burger flipper. :P

Nope. Not even close.  

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Andersen said:

University students are planning mass action in protest about rent at university halls in a year of during lockdowns & empty rooms. No mention of the student parties 9_9

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/dec/06/we-wont-be-cash-cows-uk-students-plan-the-largest-rent-strike-in-40-years

Not directly relevant to the private rented student accommodation - unless the rent strike spreads outside of the halls :ph34r:

They need to think differently.

Halls rent is all inclusive.

Open all the Windows, crank up the heating, turn on every light and plug in everything you can.

500 students in a block doing this could give them a financial hit they won't like.

 

  • Agree 6
  • Lol 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

They need to think differently.

Halls rent is all inclusive.

Open all the Windows, crank up the heating, turn on every light and plug in everything you can.

500 students in a block doing this could give them a financial hit they won't like.

 

Water is probably metered too so turn on all the taps!

  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/12/2020 at 22:23, One percent said:

They also need to consider withholding their fees.  9k for a prerecorded lecture streamed over the intranet.  

I can learn how to rebuild an engine on YouTube..  for FREE..  I recon you could learn open heart surgery on YouTube..  

Why the fuck people pay 9k per year to have some bloke read a book at them I will never know.. 

Go down WHSmiths.. im sure they will have the knowledge you need for the job you dont have a clue you want.. 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, macca said:

I can learn how to rebuild an engine on YouTube..  for FREE..  I recon you could learn open heart surgery on YouTube..  

Why the fuck people pay 9k per year to have some bloke read a book at them I will never know.. 

Go down WHSmiths.. im sure they will have the knowledge you need for the job you dont have a clue you want.. 

The (information in the) course is free -- the £27K is for the piece of paper at the end.

Edited by dgul
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, dgul said:

The (information in the) course is free -- the £27K is for the piece of paper at the end.

Richest people i know left school at 16, thick as fuck.. 

They did all go into building houses though so not surprising.. 

I was the smart one that got a proper job.. now I'm the poor one.. 🤣

Its a heartwarming tale.. 

Its like MPs.. Boris was the thick one in his class. (Fact).. So he became prime minister.. 🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/12/2020 at 22:23, One percent said:

They also need to consider withholding their fees.  9k for a prerecorded lecture streamed over the intranet.  

The problem is the university `holds all the cards`...you don't pay your fees you don't get your degree.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MrXxxx said:

The problem is the university `holds all the cards`...you don't pay your fees you don't get your degree.

My view is that the curtain has been ripped back on a so-called university educashun and they have lost their credibility.  It was clear from the way they treated students over covid that they saw themselves as businesses and their students as cash cows, ripe for an arse raping.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/12/2020 at 16:39, BoSon said:

, total con. Told to come to campus so they were then commited to paying for the accommodation, then told the course is essentially Open University standard they could do mostly remotely. Then told not to mingle, party, and do the 'student experience' that a lot go for in the first place

Unfair to OU, they have been doing this style of learning for 50 years and so have honed it, the universities are currently just doing a hashed up version of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, macca said:

I can learn how to rebuild an engine on YouTube..  for FREE..  I recon you could learn open heart surgery on YouTube..  

Why the fuck people pay 9k per year to have some bloke read a book at them I will never know.. 

Go down WHSmiths.. im sure they will have the knowledge you need for the job you dont have a clue you want.. 

Because they are lazy, passive learners who think they can get an education by just paying for it....in fact they may even be correct in their belief!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

My view is that the curtain has been ripped back on a so-called university educashun and they have lost their credibility.  It was clear from the way they treated students over covid that they saw themselves as businesses and their students as cash cows, ripe for an arse raping.  

...and until the lemmings stop going it won't change...any parent now, with any sense, would encourage/fund their offspring to do a modern apprenticeship or placement.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

The problem is the university `holds all the cards`...you don't pay your fees you don't get your degree.

The only thing left is to drop out.

Trouble is a huge number of jobs now require a degree as a base requirement. Even where it's utterly absurd to do so.

 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

...and until the lemmings stop going it won't change...any parent now, with any sense, would encourage/fund their offspring to do a modern apprenticeship or placement.

In part agree but government has been busily hollowing out vocational education for the past 35 years 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...