DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Rucking - Tabbing

DoINeedOne

DoINeedOne

So an interesting book I read last year was Atomic Habits, Mostly about combing habits you already do which makes it easier to stick to them forming a new habit

Anyway I was listening to Tim Ferries podcast a while back and they where talking about rucking (apparently called tabbing in the UK from the army) basically a weighted rucksack for walking etc... Now this is where I thought about the book I need to walk the dog so why not take a rucksack and get some extra exercise

They sell these flat weights like in the picture and using a half decent rucksack padded with a laptop slot I tested this with a 10kg plate to start 

iu.thumb.jpg.1ab15aac02c900a86fe61954bccf0597.jpg

(I will buy a better rucksack and more weight if i stick to it)

Every other day me and the dog have done a 3.1 mile walk with plenty of hills and the rucksack then the next day just a more simpler walk without 

Not alot weight not a great distance really, takes a good hour for the walk but will increase over time whilst i have done these walk many times before but without the rucksack after few days i felt like this

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47pobuc9hqfmouj162d1

Just wondered if anyone had tried it

Edited by DoINeedOne
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 2
swiss_democracy_for_all
21 minutes ago, DoINeedOne said:

So an interesting book I read last year was Atomic Habits, Mostly about combing habits you already do which makes it easier to stick to them forming a new habit

Anyway I was listening to Tim Ferries podcast a while back and they where talking about rucking (apparently called tabbing in the UK from the army) basically a weighted rucksack for walking etc... Now this is where I thought about the book I need to walk the dog so why not take a rucksack and get some extra exercise

They sell these flat weights like in the picture and using a half decent rucksack padded with a laptop slot I tested this with a 10kg plate to start 

Every other day me and the dog have done a 3.1 mile walk with plenty of hills and the rucksack then the next day just a more simpler walk without 

Not alot weight not a great distance really, takes a good hour for the walk but will increase over time whilst i have done these walk many times before but without the rucksack after few days i felt like this

Be careful of your knees. With good boots, a high quality rucksack, fitted properly with correct chest and waist straps, and not too much weight, especially at first, it should be a good idea and good for fitness. Otherwise you might as well make the physio appointment in advance.

• Agree 3
stop_the_craziness
12 hours ago, DoINeedOne said:

I used to mountain bike with a 10kg weight vest on so that I could train in the same heart rate zone as my ex who couldn't be bothered to lay off the pies.

• Lol 3
Chewing Grass
10 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I used to mountain bike with a 10kg weight vest on so that I could train in the same heart rate zone as my ex who couldn't be bothered to lay off the pies.

No wonder he ended up as your ex, I wouldn't carry a 10kg vest for anyone, all this wool is bad enough!

Edited by Chewing Grass

Was in TA for few years many moons ago. 

Tabbing was the bread and butter.

10 miles in 1 hr 50 mins. 40 lbs in Bergen (backpack) and carrying weapon that weighed about 8 lbs in your hands (no strap).

Not too enjoyable but yes will get you very fit. 

I wouldn't recommend doing too regularly as it puts a lot of strain on the joints due to the weight. 

I actually never trained myself doing it at all. Just got myself very fit in other ways and grinned and bared it when the tabbing arrived. 

Good luck.  

• Agree 2
DoINeedOne
23 hours ago, ccc said:

Was in TA for few years many moons ago. 

Tabbing was the bread and butter.

10 miles in 1 hr 50 mins. 40 lbs in Bergen (backpack) and carrying weapon that weighed about 8 lbs in your hands (no strap).

Not too enjoyable but yes will get you very fit. 

I wouldn't recommend doing too regularly as it puts a lot of strain on the joints due to the weight. 

I actually never trained myself doing it at all. Just got myself very fit in other ways and grinned and bared it when the tabbing arrived. 

Good luck.  

I plan to do it maybe 2-3x a week maybe less depending on how i feel but currently the route i take according to an app tracking is around 3.1 miles which took 57 minutes will increase the distance/weight over time then just casual fun walks without the rucksack for all the other days

Frank Hovis

To echo what Swissy said: watch the weight.  Personally I wouldn't carry anything unnecessary.

British soldiers suffer injuries from too-heavy weights

BRITISH soldiers are suffering from an unprecedented number of ankle and spinal injuries because of the incredible weights they have to carry, a new report has warned.

Since last year infantry soldiers, Paras and Royal Marines have had to haul equipment weighing about 10 stone, nearly twice as heavy as the packs yomped by soldiers in the Falklands 28 years ago, according to a report in Jane’s Defence.

An Army Physical Training Instructor told Jane’s: “One of the real killers in Afghanistan is stopping every few yards, going down on to one knee, bringing your weapon up for a look around, and then standing up again, all with a full load. We’re not physically prepared for that and it’s hurting a lot of guys”.

“You can’t hump a rucksack at 8.000 feet for 15 months and not have an effect,” said Gen Peter Chiarelli, the US Army’s vice chief of staff. Danish Army figures reveal that 15 per cent of its 750-strong contingent in Afghanistan returned home with long-term injuries. Half of those were caused by heavy equipment, made worse by the addiction to painkillers needed to cope with the load.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/188986/British-soldiers-suffer-injuries-from-too-heavy-weights

• Informative 3
4 hours ago, DoINeedOne said:

I plan to do it maybe 2-3x a week maybe less depending on how i feel but currently the route i take according to an app tracking is around 3.1 miles which took 57 minutes will increase the distance/weight over time then just casual fun walks without the rucksack for all the other days

Well good luck but even those training for the paras or the marines would train with weight that often. As below it's just not worth it in terms of risk / reward.

If you are really set on it once every two weeks or so may be ok. Depending on weight and distance if course. 

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

To echo what Swissy said: watch the weight.  Personally I wouldn't carry anything unnecessary.

British soldiers suffer injuries from too-heavy weights

BRITISH soldiers are suffering from an unprecedented number of ankle and spinal injuries because of the incredible weights they have to carry, a new report has warned.

Since last year infantry soldiers, Paras and Royal Marines have had to haul equipment weighing about 10 stone, nearly twice as heavy as the packs yomped by soldiers in the Falklands 28 years ago, according to a report in Jane’s Defence.

An Army Physical Training Instructor told Jane’s: “One of the real killers in Afghanistan is stopping every few yards, going down on to one knee, bringing your weapon up for a look around, and then standing up again, all with a full load. We’re not physically prepared for that and it’s hurting a lot of guys”.

“You can’t hump a rucksack at 8.000 feet for 15 months and not have an effect,” said Gen Peter Chiarelli, the US Army’s vice chief of staff. Danish Army figures reveal that 15 per cent of its 750-strong contingent in Afghanistan returned home with long-term injuries. Half of those were caused by heavy equipment, made worse by the addiction to painkillers needed to cope with the load.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/188986/British-soldiers-suffer-injuries-from-too-heavy-weights

10 fucking stone. 

No wonder they have trouble against the enemy. They scoot around on an old moped with an AK-47 over their shoulder, a few grenades and rounds in their pockets, and a couple of chapattis to keep them going. 

10 stone Vs 2 stone. 

And they also don't give a fuck about getting shot and attacked. 

• Agree 2
Frank Hovis
3 minutes ago, ccc said:

10 fucking stone. 

No wonder they have trouble against the enemy. They scoot around on an old moped with an AK-47 over their shoulder, a few grenades and rounds in their pockets, and a couple of chapattis to keep them going. 

10 stone Vs 2 stone. 

And they also don't give a fuck about getting shot and attacked. 

Though as I have noted before that last is their weakness.

We want to win both battles and wars.

They only seek to die in them.

tenor.gif

Caravan Monster

This thread title invoked unpleasant memories of school Rugby and being the smallest prop in the ruck and regularly getting lifted off the ground by my neck (2 years difference at that age making the difference between the physique of a teenager and adult man in some cases) and the CCF running around a field carrying a telegraph pole. 'Character Forming' I am assured, needless to say my joints were fucked at a young age.

• Agree 1
On 09/12/2020 at 22:01, stop_the_craziness said:

That's pretty hardcore!O.o

I occasionally overtake other cyclists up the hills on my delivery rounds with 10-15kg in my rucksack. I particularly enjoy it if they've come flying past me first and then tied up, sometimes it's impossible to resist a condescending shake of the head as I pass them sat in the saddle while they're stood up grinding away! I've been doing 6 day weeks in the run up to Christmas so haven't actually had an opportunity to go out on my good bike to see if it's made me any faster.

• Agree 1
stop_the_craziness
2 hours ago, Rave said:

That's pretty hardcore!O.o

I occasionally overtake other cyclists up the hills on my delivery rounds with 10-15kg in my rucksack. I particularly enjoy it if they've come flying past me first and then tied up, sometimes it's impossible to resist a condescending shake of the head as I pass them sat in the saddle while they're stood up grinding away! I've been doing 6 day weeks in the run up to Christmas so haven't actually had an opportunity to go out on my good bike to see if it's made me any faster.

Ooh, do let us know if you find out.  The concept of "heavy bike training" is very much disputed.  Some people swear by it whilst others think it's stupid nonsense.

• Agree 1

My employer is shutting down between Christmas and New Year so hoping for some dry days to go out and attack a few segments that I think I might have a chance of the KOM on. And maybe the local 5 / 10 mile time trial route :) .

TBH I think if you have big enough hills nearby then weighted training is probably pointless, but the most elevation I can gain in one hit within a 10 mile radius of my house is probably less than 200 feet. So extending them out by carrying extra weight might not be a bad idea. I'm not any kind of endurance athlete anyway.

If you want to carry more weight on a mountain bike just get an enduro bike and ride it everywhere! My 170mm travel Nukeproof Mega weighs about 15kg but it pedals OK so I just winch it up...and then every downhill is a huge laugh because of how capable it is! :Jumping:

Dogtania

would have thought carrying weight on a bike as long as well positioned and not straining the back would be far better than weighted walks/runs.

can't remember the specific competition but know someone who was training for one where you wear some kind of weighted leather saddle round your neck.  The guy is pretty fit etc and not heavy so good for him, but I'm concerned enough doing my 5-10 k runs as at least half is unfortunately on concrete.  Thinking about looking into even more supplements for bones or joints etc (although honestly a herbal 'joint' well vape really seems to be a positive for me right now in that regard)

Especially enjoying the night time forest runs.  Came across a yew tree - well I know the tree pass it regularly(?).  But first time taking a pic.  Someone I asked thought maybe a yew...I looked it up and apparently the oldest living thing was found to be a 1300 year old yew tree in cumbria (claim sounds dubious was the telegraph)

Pics from this evening. Sorry not trying to derail thread just interested if it's a yew and showing off my haunted house 

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0075.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

Caravan Monster
10 hours ago, Dogtania said:

would have thought carrying weight on a bike as long as well positioned and not straining the back would be far better than weighted walks/runs.

can't remember the specific competition but know someone who was training for one where you wear some kind of weighted leather saddle round your neck.  The guy is pretty fit etc and not heavy so good for him, but I'm concerned enough doing my 5-10 k runs as at least half is unfortunately on concrete.  Thinking about looking into even more supplements for bones or joints etc (although honestly a herbal 'joint' well vape really seems to be a positive for me right now in that regard)

Especially enjoying the night time forest runs.  Came across a yew tree - well I know the tree pass it regularly(?).  But first time taking a pic.  Someone I asked thought maybe a yew...I looked it up and apparently the oldest living thing was found to be a 1300 year old yew tree in cumbria (claim sounds dubious was the telegraph)

Pics from this evening. Sorry not trying to derail thread just interested if it's a yew and showing off my haunted house 

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0075.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

Photos a bit fuzzy but 95% that's a Yew and rhododendron next to it. Rhododendrons are a problem in Cumbria, brought back by Victorian plant collectors from the Himalayas, they liked the climate and are everywhere now. Historically sometimes removed because poisonous to livestock but often planted in the grounds of nineteenth century villas and churches refitted during that period. There's something spooky about Yews, especially groups of them planted together and they have pagan pre-Christian connotations. Timber traditionally used for English longbows and tool handles and can live for several thousand years:

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/british-trees/a-z-of-british-trees/yew/

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2018/01/ancient-yew-trees/

• Cheers 1
Dogtania
23 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

Photos a bit fuzzy but 95% that's a Yew and rhododendron next to it. Rhododendrons are a problem in Cumbria, brought back by Victorian plant collectors from the Himalayas, they liked the climate and are everywhere now. Historically sometimes removed because poisonous to livestock but often planted in the grounds of nineteenth century villas and churches refitted during that period. There's something spooky about Yews, especially groups of them planted together and they have pagan pre-Christian connotations. Timber traditionally used for English longbows and tool handles and can live for several thousand years:

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/british-trees/a-z-of-british-trees/yew/

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2018/01/ancient-yew-trees/

That's really interesting.  Photos terrible, the phone not the best at nighttime either.  I looked at a few online and the examples seemed quite varied but definitely some fitted the bill.

The yew if it is is extremely spooky... Not so much in the dark but whenever I have passed something about it is weird... Looks like death or something quite Gothic... And kind of upside down but dripping.  Similar in a way I think to me seeing those ones in photos from the US Louisiana  bayous- never been but quite ghostly, think they are cypress, 'dripping' down

Used to hear often about Rhododendrons when younger, although can't remember whether in positive or negative way... Will file that info away though.

The yew is beside a Victorian walled garden.  Interesting about the timber too 

Going to try to visit the Fortingall yew in Perthshire if I'm ever in the vicinity...2-3 k years old wow.

Edited by Dogtania
  • Agree 1

I once cycled past what's meant to be the oldest tree in jockland. It's in Glen Lyon after coming down from the big dam half way up Ben Lawyers. I think O.o

22 hours ago, MrPin said:

Bricks in rucksacks are for poofs. the laptop is heavy enough.

Rucksacks are for visiting French students on a language course.

• 3 weeks later...
Stuey

In lockdown this is my leg workout, 15kg in a rucksack and out walking at a decent pace for 25-40 mins. The same rucksack I use for weighted press ups basically.

This morning was 46 tree branch pull ups (not pleasant in 1c and sleet but never mind). 111 weighted press ups with the rucksack. Then a bit of lunchtime rucking, or if the weather is bad then 36 flights of stairs.

No replacement really for 200kg leg presses but keeps things ticking over for a few weeks.

Edited by Stuey
  • 2 weeks later...
BoSon

If carrying a load of excess weight around was strength training all the lard arses would be superman/woman when they went through the annual January weightwatchers three week programme. xD

• 2 weeks later...
Stuey
On 19/01/2021 at 17:05, BoSon said:

If carrying a load of excess weight around was strength training all the lard arses would be superman/woman when they went through the annual January weightwatchers three week programme. xD

Have you seen the calves of fat blokes? O.o

• Agree 1
Vendetta
On 19/01/2021 at 17:05, BoSon said:

I think being a fat bastard does exactly that - and builds both physical and cardio strength.

Having not done any real exercise in 2 years and then lost 2.5stone in 3 weeks it is exactly like removing a massive weight vest. You feel very light and strong. I was able to do a 5km run (9min miles) at the third time of asking after stopping my fast.

Mind unless you lose it real quick I think the body would just get used to losing weight of over a longer time and adapt as you went. 

• Agree 1