Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

New Mac M1 Models


Bus Stop Boxer

Recommended Posts

Bus Stop Boxer

Anyone bitten yet?

Im a long term windows user but these seem to be remarkably powerful over what has gone before.

Im looking at the base model Air at £995. Would seem like it would be good for music straight out of the box of running suitably matched software.

Seems to be  a machine you could use for everything and would see you right for years.

Ive had a few bob from Rishi and looking to splurge it.

https://www.apple.com/uk/mac/

Edited by Bus Stop Boxer
  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
swiss_democracy_for_all
25 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Anyone bitten yet?

Im a long term windows user but these seem to be remarkably powerful over what has gone before.

Im looking at the base model Air at £995. Would seem like it would be good for music straight out of the box of running suitably matched software.

Seems to be  a machine you could use for everything and would see you right for years.

Ive had a few bob from Rishi and looking to splurge it.

https://www.apple.com/uk/mac/

 

IMO Macbook Air are good machines, missus has an old one - however they're best suited to people whose phone is Apple and maybe other tech too - all their tech  talks to other Apple gear with a simplicity that makes other tech look poor. 

The more tech-savvy you are and if you don't mind fiddling around with stuff, the less need there is to pay the extra "Apple Tax".  If you have a non-tech-savvy family who will otherwise bother you all the time because they've clicked on the wrong thing and screwed up their machine, get them Apple gear.

  • Agree 4
  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Fully Detached

I bought one a couple of weeks ago - Mac Mini, to replace my ageing Intel one. First surprise to me was that it was £30 less than the older Intel model, which made me wonder a bit, but the old one was fucked, so I went for it anyway.

Main thing I don't like is that obviously you can't upgrade the memory because it's unified. and the cost of upgrading is absolutely shocking (think it was £249 to double from 8gb to 16gb). I went for the lower end only because I don't really do much on my machine, and because at £670, if it lasts me 3 years then it's been a fair investment.

Overall I like it - it's fast, it does everything I need to do and more, simultaneously. So far it's looking like the unified memory is a winner, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I've had it a little longer. I'm not convinced of the stability of it yet - I've had a couple of crashes that required a reboot, whereas the old Intel one would need a reboot maybe once every couple of months or so, at least up until the end when it was buggered.

Big Sur is shit. How the hell they have the cheek to release that as an OS is a mystery to me - it looks like High Sierra with some things in different places.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

 

IMO Macbook Air are good machines, missus has an old one - however they're best suited to people whose phone is Apple and maybe other tech too - all their tech  talks to other Apple gear with a simplicity that makes other tech look poor. 

The more tech-savvy you are and if you don't mind fiddling around with stuff, the less need there is to pay the extra "Apple Tax".  If you have a non-tech-savvy family who will otherwise bother you all the time because they've clicked on the wrong thing and screwed up their machine, get them Apple gear.

This is my experience with Apple, I used one for a few years a while back but switch to Linux.

During the first lock down I took an iMac from work as it seemed like be best solution as it took up considerably less space than a laptop and monitor. Just couldn't get on with it, far too many concessions needed and some stuff just didn't work without massive ball aches in work arounds.

Gave up in the end.

But.... have heard good things about the new M1's. I won't be getting one at that price.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
onlyme
4 hours ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Anyone bitten yet?

Im a long term windows user but these seem to be remarkably powerful over what has gone before.

Im looking at the base model Air at £995. Would seem like it would be good for music straight out of the box of running suitably matched software.

Seems to be  a machine you could use for everything and would see you right for years.

Ive had a few bob from Rishi and looking to splurge it.

https://www.apple.com/uk/mac/

If interested in music don't think there is anything to touch the iPad - masses of very good but very cheap apps. Don;t like their soldered all on board trend but that is baked into the cake with the iPad format anyway. 

  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Bus Stop Boxer
19 hours ago, Libspero said:

I’m neither an Apple fan nor early adopter..  but I’ll be interested to follow how you get on with it.

I think this is a pretty big jump for Apple, and as a total newbie, other than an imac in 2006, which i then bootcamped to windows, long story, i think its a good point to hop back on.

I don't have any legacy apps that would need to run in a hobbled way, and can see even the 8gb memory version lasting 5-6 years. I got 9 years out of a first gen i5 VAIO with 4gb RAM quite easily, so used to squeezing as much value as poss out of kit.

I'm looking at this as a prompt to do things differently online from selling, payments, email, social media, the lot.

Still not seeing the Intel models take much of a price hit, i guess many need the option to run older software still.

Other than screen size i think that new air looks a nice proposition at 995 Sunaks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

I don't have any legacy apps that would need to run in a hobbled way, and can see even the 8gb memory version lasting 5-6 years. I got 9 years out of a first gen i5 VAIO with 4gb RAM quite easily, so used to squeezing as much value as poss out of kit.

The rate of change has slowed massively over the last 5 years or so (possibly longer). Both in terms of hardware, but more importantly software.

There are some edge cases but for your average user a half decent machine purchased now will last considerably longer than would have been the case in the past.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
spunko

Fuck me: just had a look at Apple pricing (not this model). Who the fuck is paying these prices? Is it all on the never never now?

Inevitably you can out-spec an Apple laptop by building your own at somewhere like PC Specialist for half the cost, but as Swissy says people who can do that will do so. They're not aimed at those sorts. I just hadn't realised how bloody dear Apple were now. I paid ~£720 for a new Macbook Air about 6 years ago. Now they start at £1000...

Link to post
Share on other sites
TheNickos
5 minutes ago, spunko said:

Fuck me: just had a look at Apple pricing (not this model). Who the fuck is paying these prices? Is it all on the never never now?

Inevitably you can out-spec an Apple laptop by building your own at somewhere like PC Specialist for half the cost, but as Swissy says people who can do that will do so. They're not aimed at those sorts. I just hadn't realised how bloody dear Apple were now. I paid ~£720 for a new Macbook Air about 6 years ago. Now they start at £1000...

Not wrong there, just spec'd a quick 16" pro for the hell of it with 32gb memory, 2tb hdd and a 8gb graphics card, near enough 4K!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
spunko
2 minutes ago, TheNickos said:

Not wrong there, just spec'd a quick 16" pro for the hell of it with 32gb memory, 2tb hdd and a 8gb graphics card, near enough 4K!!!

You're doing it wrong... ;) It's not £4k, it's £37 a month...

  • Agree 2
  • Lol 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get the point unless you're doing a lot of video editing or gaming. I do dev work and my 9 year old i3 linux laptop is more than fast enough. 99% of peoples computer usage is just web browsing, porn and youtube anyway.

Also fuck Apple. Friend of mine spilt water on her macbook. I took it apart for her to see if I could fix it. Looked like it was just the SSD which needed replacing. However these are soldered onto macbooks. Absolutely fuck all reason for these to be soldered on apart from forcing people to upgrade the entire laptop when they need more space or when the SSD dies, which they all do after so many read/write cycles. Real eco friendly. There were also all these water damage dots all over the place purely so you can't get it repaired under warranty. She took it to the Apple store and they told her they wouldn't even look at it due to water damage and even then they don't replace SSDs. But she could have  £100 off a replacement £1700 macbook. So she stumped up £1600 I think when in a PC it would just be a new £20 SSD. Fuck Apple and sorry but people who hand this company money are fucking idiots.

Least with the M1 they won't be selling you £2k laptops with 5 year old Intel CPUs as they have been in their laptops for the last 15 years, so that's something eh?

Edited by gibbon
  • Agree 8
  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
onlyme
3 hours ago, gibbon said:

Also fuck Apple. Friend of mine spilt water on her macbook. I took it apart for her to see if I could fix it. Looked like it was just the SSD which needed replacing. However these are soldered onto macbooks. Absolutely fuck all reason for these to be soldered on apart from forcing people to upgrade the entire laptop when they need more space or when the SSD dies, which they all do after so many read/write cycles. Real eco friendly. 

That "upgrade" alone ensures I will never buy a another MacBook, immediate decision made when I saw that pop up on the latest and greatest incarnation. 

 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, onlyme said:

That "upgrade" alone ensures I will never buy a another MacBook, immediate decision made when I saw that pop up on the latest and greatest incarnation. 

 

RAM is soldered on as well I believe. Although they will upgrade it for just £200.

Link to post
Share on other sites
onlyme
17 minutes ago, gibbon said:

RAM is soldered on as well I believe. Although they will upgrade it for just £200.

Yes, no idea of the last portable they made with plug in memory - helps with extracting every last penny out of the higher spec machines, whilst keeping a "low"base price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bus Stop Boxer
5 hours ago, onlyme said:

Yes, no idea of the last portable they made with plug in memory - helps with extracting every last penny out of the higher spec machines, whilst keeping a "low"base price.

2014 Mac Mini i think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing is made to be upgradeable any more. Apple computers are expensive, but Windows 10 is now a fucking joke. Who wants "Candy Crush" on a professional machine?

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
The XYY Man
2 hours ago, MrPin said:

Nothing is made to be upgradeable any more. Apple computers are expensive, but Windows 10 is now a fucking joke. Who wants "Candy Crush" on a professional machine?

Why do you think Windows 10 is a joke Pinny...?

I've had no real problems with it since I fitted SSDs and doubled the RAM in my two PCs. It was a pain in the arse on mechanical drives coupled with the age and spec of my machines, but it flies with SSDs and more memory.

 

XYY

  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

Why do you think Windows 10 is a joke Pinny...?

I've had no real problems with it since I fitted SSDs and doubled the RAM in my two PCs. It was a pain in the arse on mechanical drives coupled with the age and spec of my machines, but it flies with SSDs and more memory.

 

XYY

For the reason above. I paid for the "Profesional" version, and it still comes with silly toys. This doesnt look "professional". It's stuffed with tat I don't want.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The XYY Man
2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

For the reason above. I paid for the "Profesional" version, and it still comes with silly toys. This doesnt look "professional". It's stuffed with tat I don't want.

I have the professional version too as the PCs I won in the regular raffles they used to have at work had Windows 7 professional and those nice Microsoft people let me upgrade to 10 for nowt once I typed the Windows 7 licence details in - and I got the 64 bit professional version of 10.

I do agree there is a load of shite on it, and about every five or ten boot-ups it tries to get me set up some stupid crap I don't want, but I just keep answering no, or cancel.

Having cost me nowt, I put up with it.

 

XYY

Link to post
Share on other sites
onlyme
8 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I have the professional version too as the PCs I won in the regular raffles they used to have at work had Windows 7 professional and those nice Microsoft people let me upgrade to 10 for nowt once I typed the Windows 7 licence details in - and I got the 64 bit professional version of 10.

I do agree there is a load of shite on it, and about every five or ten boot-ups it tries to get me set up some stupid crap I don't want, but I just keep answering no, or cancel.

Having cost me nowt, I put up with it.

 

XYY

The continuous  updates are more than just a light irritation, managed to get one machine in a continual loop - update / crash. Very unprofessional way to go about keeping a system up to date and probably in reality just keeping the crap and spyware, MS defaults the way they want them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The XYY Man
Just now, onlyme said:

The continuous  updates are more than just a light irritation, managed to get one machine in a continual loop - update / crash. Very unprofessional way to go about keeping a system up to date and probably in reality just keeping the crap and spyware, MS defaults the way they want them.

Aye, an early update on one of mine caused it to totally bomb and I had a right piss about getting it running again. I agree if you've paid for a professional version, this should not happen. 

Having been a Windows user since 3.1, I just kind of accept it will fuck up at some point...

 

XYY

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bus Stop Boxer

I've been installing / re installing Windows on laptops for years.

Normally re-using product keys from old machines. Its done me well. Meaning low cost maintenance was a piece of piss, and made selling on useable machines nice and easy.

Its now a wholly different ball game, with online MSN acct registering etc.

Its still possible with work but is an increasing pain. Windows 10 spying can be hobbled by using ShutUp10

I would happily use Linux day to day, but there's no real web security for banking etc, and printers etc are a bastard to run on it in my experience.

I also have a rapidly increasing dislike of all things Gates, and so here i am considering a Mac.

Shoot me.

  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
longtomsilver

I've bought one. The base model with the 16gb memory upgrade @Fully Detached and it is fantastic - absolute flys and it'll be perfect for editing go-pro footage. No point paying for the extra storage as I have a 1tb external drive plus boxes (hundreds) of 8gb memory sticks that I acquired from somewhere ;)

5 year old macs sell for £5-600 and I anticipate the resale value of this one to remain high too.

Just running a few apps and having safari open uses up 6gb of that memory so the extra 8gb is essential in my opinion. Not sure on the merits of paying for the extra graphics core? 

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Fully Detached
49 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I've bought one. The base model with the 16gb memory upgrade @Fully Detached and it is fantastic - absolute flys and it'll be perfect for editing go-pro footage. No point paying for the extra storage as I have a 1tb external drive plus boxes (hundreds) of 8gb memory sticks that I acquired from somewhere ;)

5 year old macs sell for £5-600 and I anticipate the resale value of this one to remain high too.

Just running a few apps and having safari open uses up 6gb of that memory so the extra 8gb is essential in my opinion. Not sure on the merits of paying for the extra graphics core? 

I'm a fairly light user so I didn't see the value in the memory upgrade, especially since the M1 is supposed to use memory in a whole new - and much more efficient - manner. One thing I have noticed is occasional wifi dropouts for no apparent reason. It resolves itself if I switch the wifi off and back on again - sometimes takes a couple of goes but it then connects again. But it's a pain in the arse and I'm not alone in suffering it, so hopefully an update will sort this soon. Other than that I'm quite happy so far.

  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...