• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

UmBongo

New Music. Getting down with da yoof innit.

Come the dawn of the 21st century I lost interest in the new music. Britpop had pretty much run it's course. I decided to look closer at a few older bands from the 1970s and then got into Progressive Rock.

However, there seem to be a few gems that I quite like released recently. I quite like this one that's been on Radio 2 a few times by Calvin Harris, Pharrell, Big Sean & Katy Perry:

One of the YT comments states that Pharrell is 44 years old. Didn't know he was that old (if it's true). Writes the person who is nearly 40 himself. I quite like Katy's lines in this as she's trying to get as many words in as poss!

Any other suggestions?

Just now, blobloblob said:

My 18 year old likes Stormzy. If you want to appear cool among "The Youth", I suggest you tell them you think Stormzy is brill and groovy.

Im not sure how convincing you would be using terms from the 60s and 70s. Unless we have come full circle. 

4 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

That's the chappie. The young folk are quite taken with him.

Pure  cl  ass.

Salute to my sister as well
Gotta keep trophies down at my mum's bit
Man, I'm getting way too big for my shelf
Man, I see bare MCs wanna sideline
But I still got a couple bangers in the pipeline
Man, I've got grown men '@'ing me bullshit
You're getting way too old for the timeline
You're getting way too old for a diss
Should've looked after your kids
Get out the booth, go home to your son
It's never too late to commit
It's like man love put my name in a bar
Random flight, get a plane to Qatar
This year, I learnt how to take care of business
Next year, I'll learn how to play the guitar

It's like a new form of poetry, but one that doesn't rhyme, has no structure and makes no sense!

1 minute ago, XswampyX said:

It's like a new form of poetry, but one that doesn't rhyme, has no structure and makes no sense!

I don't like poetry because the whole concept is shite.

Stormzy takes it to a whole new level.

Of shite.

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 23:17, XswampyX said:

Eh?

Indignant downtrodden black man (can I say nigga? he does albeit probably intending irony) from da ghetto. That's certainly never been done before..

Must admit that when this started I thought it might be a Lenny Henry sketch.

Well I guess I know who Stormzy is now. But I have worn those clothes, been those places, done those things, 35 years ago - it's just old hat

Edited by Panther

That last Kongos song is the same as this one from John Kongos.

PS Just seen on Wiki. They are all his sons.

Edited by Fischer

These were on the Jools Holland show last night. From this year. Really unusual and experimental sounding, I think this is the nuts of a tune. Really good live, if you like it, do check it out on BBC iPlayer, it's the first track on the show.

2 hours ago, DTMark said:

These were on the Jools Holland show last night. From this year. Really unusual and experimental sounding, I think this is the nuts of a tune. Really good live, if you like it, do check it out on BBC iPlayer, it's the first track on the show.

I've had that album, and "Woodstock" by Portugal. The Man on pretty much permanent rotation in the car these past few weeks.

5 hours ago, eight said:

I've had that album, and "Woodstock" by Portugal. The Man on pretty much permanent rotation in the car these past few weeks.

Cheers, will have a listen.

The live performance (of The National) is worth checking out. Bit of a vocal fail, but the drums are superb.

First act up, 30 seconds in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b097mm0c/later-with-jools-holland-series-51-live-episode-2

27 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

The National's "Boxer" album was pretty good...Fake Empire & Mistaken For Strangers were standout tracks on that album...

I thought you might like this, but I might have bloody well known that you'd have got there a long time before me :)

I'm quite young, and can't reach for the OFF button quick enough when fucking Stormzy comes on the radio. Spotify (popular with younguns like myself) is making older bands cool again - you read it here first.

In all seriousness I quite like Lorde, but so does everyone.

Is there "prog rock" any more? Those public school pompous twonk bands, producing three album sets of something undanceable. The good ones seem to have lasted, but there were some awful ones.:CryBaby:

On 06/10/2017 at 21:04, Dave Beans said:

This seems alright...Why does it all sound so over produced?

I'm not sure, but I like the fact that the song has two 'hooks', and her legs.