DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Pilotless Planes

I'm surprised that it has taken this long but the first pilotless freight delivery and pick up between the Isles of Scilly and Cornwall - always the leader in the white heat of technology - happened this week.

A drone has successfully carried supplies from the mainland to the Isles of Scilly for the first time.

It completed the 60-mile (97km) round trip, delivering an NHS supply box to St Mary's airport.

The Isles of Scilly Steamship Group (ISSG) said the flight "paves the way" for a "new lifeline connection" with the remote islands off Cornwall.

The unmanned vehicle returned to Land's End airport with local produce including gin and flowers.

Currently most freight is carried to the islands by ship, with some being taken alongside passengers on planes.

Drones could carry items including medical supplies and urgent vehicle parts.

_116029650_iosuavtake-offfromland'sendai

_115990953_iosuavnhs.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-55252180

Whilst I think we'd all balk at a passenger plane having no pilot I don't see why this couldn't be routine for freight planes; possibly with bigger freight planes having an alert pilot sat there in case of emergency.

Whilst there has been general trashing of the idea of driverless cars except in fairly specific road zones - motorways and custom designed road layouts - planes with the opportunity to avoid other planes by changing height should be a lot safer.

Plus they are far smaller and lighter without having to accommodate a pilot: the "aircraft have 98% fewer emissions than a manned equivalent"

Similar has already mostly happened for aerial camera work with very pricey helicopters replaced by drones; this looks like the next obvious step.

Somehow don't think these pilotless planes will be welcome at Gatwick anytime soon. xD

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/01/the-mystery-of-the-gatwick-drone?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

So, likely that there was no 'terrorist drone' just someone spotting a hovering helicopter in the distance then it was the police drones others saw later into the incident. No footage or any evidence beyond 'eye witness'. What a farce.  xD

But yes, pilotless cargo planes make a lot of sense. Just don't load anything explosive on them with the remote flying option ticked. :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Aye. The pilot is just there for morale as much as anything else. 

I don't know. I had a landing in horrendous weather once, you could literally feel the instant the pilot turned the autopilot off and took over.

I'd love to have seen what the landing looked like externally as we came in at a hell of an angle and landed with a right old bang.