DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Unintended result of Covid

King Penda

Cash or I should say change which I throw in a tin I traditionally use it towards my Xmas food shop and do the walk of shame in Tesco towards the coin star machine . This year is dismal just 73 quid in silver I’m very disappointed .I’m presuming it’s the Covid effect ie can’t go the pub so less change .is any fucker else has sad has me lol

E3F97162-EFFA-4142-B0EF-B4D8529C2358.jpeg

• Lol 4

18 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Cash or I should say change which I throw in a tin I traditionally use it towards my Xmas food shop and do the walk of shame in Tesco towards the coin star machine . This year is dismal just 73 quid in silver I’m very disappointed .I’m presuming it’s the Covid effect ie can’t go the pub so less change .is any fucker else has sad has me lol

E3F97162-EFFA-4142-B0EF-B4D8529C2358.jpeg

Charity collecting tins are massively down this year as well.

• Informative 1

12 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Not surprised some look at your like the devils incarnation if you off er cash .even had one cheeky fucker say don’t you have a card this was in Aldi so I asked for cash back for shits a giggles and said I’ve got even more cash now.

• Lol 4

1 hour ago, Dogtania said:

fuck cashback, that's a blast from the past.  Probably should be in the memory 

It’s a bit retro agreed 

Edited by stokiescum

5 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

It’s got it’s uses .my notes tin is doing a bit better than my silver tin please bear in mind this is pocket change to many on this forum I could probably live off that  for 12 months has a single man 

A3EBF2A0-B465-4E1E-A26A-389853297C6F.jpeg

that's some nice stacks there...bit drug dealer esq but not a bad thing in this case with piles of cash:)

RE the coinstar machines - I always begrudged paying extra so took to the bank if possible.  Did have a few machines at a large Asda a few years back and noticed once a few foreign coins left that had been spat out - took the haul then promptly went to the helpdesk to say I had become a coin collector (5 min before) and if they could give me any.  Call went out on intercom - they already went to a "coin collector" apparently but lady gave me a right wee sack of them to take away...filled with euro coins to boot iirc probably 30 in euros alone.

• Informative 2
  • Lol 3

10 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

that's some nice stacks there...bit drug dealer esq but not a bad thing in this case with piles of cash:)

RE the coinstar machines - I always begrudged paying extra so took to the bank if possible.  Did have a few machines at a large Asda a few years back and noticed once a few foreign coins left that had been spat out - took the haul then promptly went to the helpdesk to say I had become a coin collector (5 min before) and if they could give me any.  Call went out on intercom - they already went to a "coin collector" apparently but lady gave me a right wee sack of them to take away...filled with euro coins to boot iirc probably 30 in euros alone.

You don’t loose anything if you spend it that’s the thing we feel guilty haveing cash in our own houses it’s fucking insane .we make our self’s feel like criminals yet most of us were paid in cash 25 years agon

Edited by stokiescum
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

You don’t loose anything if you spend it that’s the thing we feel guilty haveing cash in our own houses it’s fucking insane .we make our self’s feel like criminals yet most of us were paid in cash 25 years agon

yeah fair enough, just my experience is not having much cash as it generally wasn't done around me apart from the example I gave above.  Definitely no problem IMO though.  Saying that I used to read reports from certain states (or probably more local municipalities) in the US who would confiscate pretty quick but I think that was more despotic opportunism on their part.

Personally think keeping cash is pointless although I've always got a few hundred tucked away and probably would feel uneasy without as I'm used to having (same with bit n bobs spread over multiple banks and asset classes (small time mind)

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

yeah fair enough, just my experience is not having much cash as it generally wasn't done around me apart from the example I gave above.  Definitely no problem IMO though.  Saying that I used to read reports from certain states (or probably more local municipalities) in the US who would confiscate pretty quick but I think that was more despotic opportunism on their part.

Personally think keeping cash is pointless although I've always got a few hundred tucked away and probably would feel uneasy without as I'm used to having (same with bit n bobs spread over multiple banks and asset classes (small time mind)

Cash is king in reality want someone beaten up it’s cash leaves no trail you don’t want to visit a brothel and put it on your card the misses might say wtf fancy a bit of gambling fine can fuck your mortgage application up .cash is safer for lots of things 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Cash is king in reality want someone beaten up it’s cash leaves no trail you don’t want to visit a brothel and put it on your card the misses might say wtf fancy a bit of gambling fine can fuck your mortgage application up .cash is safer for lots of things 

yeah agreed.  But for keeping as a source of growth not great unless your a moneylender.  Got the power yes, but at same time it's not doing anything active.   Cover all bases but I definitely here agree cash can be king.

14 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

yeah agreed.  But for keeping as a source of growth not great unless your a moneylender.  Got the power yes, but at same time it's not doing anything active.   Cover all bases but I definitely here agree cash can be king.

It can’t be opted in ie government grab and cash can’t be counted against you  for claiming benefits and it’s unaffected by hackers or solar flares or bank saying no .cash has some advantages gold also has its uses it’s a world wide thing ps what bank

pays any interest on cash anyway 

Edited by stokiescum
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

It can’t be opted in ie government grab and cash can’t be counted against you  for claiming benefits and it’s unaffected by hackers or solar flares or bank saying no .cash has some advantages gold also has its uses it’s a world wide thing ps what bank

pays any interest on cash anyway 

hopefully it continues as such...gold etc too.  It's all about something physical tangible and not just a number on a screen on a server in Ireland.  

Still not making anything but a safe streamless means to an end.  Less cash or even no cash could be a step to tyranny and by definition less autonomy (unless say digital non gov currency but then still subject to solar flares).   Maybe toilet paper or body bags have a future role:Geek:

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, stokiescum said:

Cash or I should say change which I throw in a tin I traditionally use it towards my Xmas food shop and do the walk of shame in Tesco towards the coin star machine

Why not simply put it in the self service check out and lose nothing?

Whenever I find I have loads of coppers I pay a visit to Tesco or Sainsbury's for just that reason.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Why not simply put it in the self service check out and lose nothing?

Whenever I find I have loads of coppers I pay a visit to Tesco or Sainsbury's for just that reason.

I don’t use them I’m not doing Tesco’s work for them they would love it if we all did that

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I don’t use them I’m not doing Tesco’s work for them they would love it if we all did that

I don't think they love my using them given that it's only a couple of times a year and I'm filling up their machines with coppers.

In theory I agree with you but when I go into Sainsbury's, in the evening, they typically only have one or two tills open and each with a queue so self service is considerably quicker.

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think they love my using them given that it's only a couple of times a year and I'm filling up their machines with coppers.

In theory I agree with you but when I go into Sainsbury's, in the evening, they typically only have one or two tills open and each with a queue so self service is considerably quicker.

Agreed sometimes even I am

forced by default to use them but the coin star machine is free if it’s spent on a shop.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yeah I used to do this too.  Quite liked doing it maybe I'm a bit evil or something.  I knew it would fill their machine and be a bit more work but all the times that I would get spat out a few coppers and 50p in 5p's was a nice bit of imaginary revenge and also good way to get rid of the stuff.

• Agree 1

Democorruptcy
15 hours ago, stokiescum said:

If you couldn't go out spending to get pennies in change, doesn't it mean you have a lot more pound notes left? If having more money is disappointing - I can help you!

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

If you couldn't go out spending to get pennies in change, doesn't it mean you have a lot more pound notes left? If having more money is disappointing - I can help you!

You might be correct but I like a free big shop at the end of the year. Ok I know it’s not free but you get the gist

• Lol 1

2 hours ago, stokiescum said:

You might be correct but I like a free big shop at the end of the year. Ok I know it’s not free but you get the gist

I know cash king etc and these new banks probably especially dodgy (well if they do down worse things probably happening too)

But I use revoult (thankfully never had an issue always works but then I guess if I had to contact support could find out it's an issue).  I have the same way of thinking keeping some notes in drawer but revoult I do the "save the change" feature.

Quite a few do including Halifax but theirs is a bit inconsistent in working and very basic.  

Idea is that you spend say 75p on card and it gets rounded up automatically and put into separate account.  Same kind of thing as your talking about but now that I see it all neatly added up to say over £100 at Halifax doesn't feel like free anymore.

The revoult one I use more (Halifax often block purchases the codes they send don't work to make transfection happen so just started using revolt more)

Revolt you can multiply your 25p spare change by whatever and then choose where it goes ie Japanese yen (not sure about fees used to be free interbank rate but probably lost over time and it's not) crypto, think even gold.  Or just old fashioned sterling.

Not recommending revolt per se but definitely worth doing for other banks like say Halifax or I think RBS.  I quite like the feature.

• Informative 1

ninjaborrower
On 11/12/2020 at 21:54, Wight Flight said:

What are you accusing stoke off? He already explained why he has so much shrapnel

• Informative 1