DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Time for the Fab Four to break up

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1371228/welsh-independence-referendum-plaid-cymru-adam-price-uk

I can't see the point of the UK continuing if the Scottish and Welsh keep voting for tyranny in next May's elections.

At least if England goes it's own way then maybe Farage can take down the Tories.

45 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1371228/welsh-independence-referendum-plaid-cymru-adam-price-uk

I can't see the point of the UK continuing if the Scottish and Welsh keep voting for tyranny in next May's elections.

At least if England goes it's own way then maybe Farage can take down the Tories.

Page not working for me (findable within the express site, but no content when clicked).

To me the main reason for England trying to keep Wales (in particular, but Scotland too) in the Union is to avoid having a land border with an economically collapsed failed state.

8 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

Page not working for me (findable within the express site, but no content when clicked).

To me the main reason for England trying to keep Wales (in particular, but Scotland too) in the Union is to avoid having a land border with an economically collapsed failed state.

It’s already difficult enough having a land boarder with Southern Ireland.

3 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

Is it that time yet again for the Adam Price Plaid independence farce?

Plaid will NEVER have power in Wales. Hence there will be no referendum. The last thing the Welsh nationalists want is independence because they are the biggest beneficiaries of the Welsh public sector gray train.

They just sprout this nonsense whenever an election is due in order to get their nat voters out thereby giving them a bunch of seats at the table in the Assembly.

Nice to see some English fall for it and for the usual anti-Welsh, anti-Irish anti-Scot bile to so quickly flow to the surface.

Fuck the Scots, fuck the Welsh. They get far more money per head than people in England, and all they do is fucking moan about us. England will be better off without them. 
The only point of the Welsh was their coal and the Scots their oil. They are now pointless, so get rid. But let them do so through a referendum, so they can’t then blame us. 
Plus, Labour and the left in general need Welsh and Scottish representation to remain relevant - without that the left, and their SJW politics, would become consigned to history in England. Win, win. 

Edited by SomersetMatt
3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Plaid will NEVER have power in Wales. Hence there will be no referendum. The last thing the Welsh nationalists want is independence because they are the biggest beneficiaries of the Welsh public sector gray train.

They just sprout this nonsense whenever an election is due in order to get their nat voters out thereby giving them a bunch of seats at the table in the Assembly.

Nice to see some English fall for it and for the usual anti-Welsh, anti-Irish anti-Scot bile to so quickly flow to the surface.

I thought this was an interesting read, about Welsh Labour becoming more independence-minded.

https://archive.is/u7GXx

... Welsh Labour, meanwhile, is simply doing what it does best to remain in power: adapting. Just as it attempted to arrest the rise of a purely Welsh identity at the start of devolution, it is now starting to move towards embracing the debate over Welsh independence. A bold next step, which is most likely necessary if current political trends continue, is to become a party that is committed at the very least to a constitutional convention on the future of the union...

I've said before that I can't see Welsh public-sector workers being happy to lose their sterling-based salaries and pensions in exchange for some unknown (but likely much reduced in purchasing power) currency. Then again the strength (and economic ignorance) of Scottish nationalism surprised me ... and I'm instinctively cautious with the "never" word in any case :)

January is going to be interesting.

No-deal Brexit is not going to be a picnic, though in the longterm I daresay things will work out.

Anyone who is expecting the French to behave in a reasonable manner regarding goods transiting to/from UK/French ports is in for a shock, and they are one of the two dominant powers in the EU, and the only one with a military that is larger and more powerfully equipped than our own. And of course there's the fishing issue - you'd be amazed how militant Froggies can be.

And of course, the more disruption there is, the more the Scots and the Welsh Nats will cry for independence so they can rejoin Europe and be dictated to by people with an accent that doesn't annoy them.

2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland assemblies are essentially means for claiming benefits at a national rather than local level. It does not matter really whether they are in the U.K. or the EU since the purpose will be identical which is to bludge off the parent institution. The EU may encourage separatists within the U.K. to spite the government in Westminster but you can bet your last Euro they won’t be rushing to sign any cheques for them. With regard to independence Scotland might just be able to hack it, Northern Ireland would have to unify with the Republic in the South. As for Wales don’t make me laugh. You can’t even travel by train from the north to south of the country without taking a detour through England.

Edited by Virgil Caine
2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I don't think it's really that..   the English quite like the Welsh and the Scots.  But the Welsh and the Scots seem to always have a massive chip on their shoulder when it comes to their mutual neighbour.  We don't really understand why.

2 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Anyone who is expecting the French to behave in a reasonable manner regarding goods transiting to/from UK/French ports is in for a shock

They'll cut off their noses to spite their faces I'm sure.   It's probably a good thing..   if the French are difficult from the off,  our global supply chains will establish more quickly and our reliance on European imports will reduce out of the gate.

What do we really need from Europe that isn't already made in the far east anyway ?  Cheese?

4 hours ago, spunko said:

Localism is great, and it's here to stay. Countries like Spain made huge mistakes allowing autonomous communities, we should never have given devolution here, it's just appeasement that breeds contempt from both sides, a pox that needs to be eventually be lanced. Globalism is dying everywhere, slowly.

I agree with this up until the last sentence. I think the globalists love the localism agenda as it serves to undermine Nationalism. All these two bit regions hate their big brother country but peculiarly love the regional globalist hegemon - the EU. It strikes me as a great way for the hegemon to break up troublesome nation states.

19 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I don't think it's really that..   the English quite like the Welsh and the Scots.  But the Welsh and the Scots seem to always have a massive chip on their shoulder when it comes to their mutual neighbour.  We don't really understand why.

That is bollox from a Welsh perspective. Just keep drinking the water. You want more water.

3 hours ago, SomersetMatt said:

Fuck the Scots, fuck the Welsh. They get far more money per head than people in England, and all they do is fucking moan about us. England will be better off without them. 
The only point of the Welsh was their coal and the Scots their oil. They are now pointless, so get rid. But let them do so through a referendum, so they can’t then blame us. 
Plus, Labour and the left in general need Welsh and Scottish representation to remain relevant - without that the left, and their SJW politics, would become consigned to history in England. Win, win. 

it's the class system that prevents the English getting a decent education and narrows their life chances, what you going to do about that ?