DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Buying Music

Uptherebels

I'm old fashioned, i get that. But I'm baffled by the following.

There are a few albums, that if you like, I would never want to be without. Now, maybe about 15 years ago, I had a Creative Zen 30 gig mP3 player, which I used to use a lot. I had, at the time, a boring 12 hour night shift job. I used to spend most of that listening to music. I had about 9 thousand songs on there. Back then, phones didn't really have the capacity. These days, they do. 

Not very often, but I still like to buy new albums. I'll happily buy a CD to play in the car. I do a lot of driving. I also used to buy digitally on google play music, which you could then listen to on the phone, without needing wifi or a phone signal. This has now been shut down, and whatever content you had in it, has been transferred to You Tube Music.

You tube Music however, does not allow you to buy music. Yes, you can pay a monthly fee, and then stream til your hearts content etc. That's not what I'm after. I want to buy, download, and play offline on an Android phone. Is there anyway of doing this? 

I could buy CDs , then rip them to an mp3 file, then transfer to phone. Well i could if I had a laptop. I don't really want to go back to doing that. It seems very over the top.

Anyone know how or where I can do this? 

The physical CD is your absolute licence to play the music you want to hear. It's undisputable, and transferable. All these streaming services are tied to one device, and can be cut off, at a whim. Re Apple. You can't "inherit" yer dad's music collection, not that I would wish that on anyone.

• Agree 4

Chewing Grass
47 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

You tube Music however, does not allow you to buy music. Yes, you can pay a monthly fee, and then stream til your hearts content etc. That's not what I'm after. I want to buy, download, and play offline on an Android phone. Is there anyway of doing this? 

I could buy CDs , then rip them to an mp3 file, then transfer to phone. Well i could if I had a laptop. I don't really want to go back to doing that. It seems very over the top.

I think Amazon Music does, IIRC you can download the tracks you buy as MP3.

• Agree 2

Just now, Chewing Grass said:

I still like the physical disk player. Anyway all the music will be interpersed with illegaly downloaded smut.

6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I still like the physical disk player. Anyway all the music will be interpersed with illegaly downloaded smut.

Could you store bit coin on a cd

I've had this question too.

Services like Tidal and Spotify are attractively easy to use. However they are no substitute for having your own music library. Tracks you like can be pulled from the service at any time without warning and then vanish from your playlist as if they had never been there, so you'd need to be sharp-eyed to spot that they have gone.

It isn't normally the case that your records or CDs just randomly vanish overnight as if you had never owned them.

There has been a growing market in hi-res audio downloads, by which I mean better than CD's 16 bit 44k resolution, and those really are downloads which you keep. They're also expensive.

Apart from that, it's all a bit hit and miss. There's a website called Juno which is good for dance music:

https://www.junodownload.com/

I'm not really sure where else you buy these things. I'm normally only interested in hi-res digital or vinyl and I don't listen to much on a mobile or other device so I haven't really explored it much.

The next question is how you get the music onto the devices, which then leads to software like Media Monkey and Plex, i have a digital music library of about 65GB which is not actually that big in today's terms, and the whole thing will (nearly) fit on the SD card on my phone but I probably don't need every file accessible everywhere so for example MM provides the option to synchronise fixed playlists, artists, genres and/or everything you've played recently.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Services like Tidal and Spotify are attractively easy to use. However they are no substitute for having your own music library. Tracks you like can be pulled from the service at any time without warning and then vanish from your playlist as if they had never been there, so you'd need to be sharp-eyed to spot that they have gone.

Yes.:Old:

2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

I think you can, but only if you've subscribed for the streaming service, which is not something I'd use.

I guess there must be hardly any demand for such a service. Hence Google closing down Play music. Seems like a backward step compared to 15 years ago. I thought tech was supposed to improve stuff. 

2 hours ago, DTMark said:

It isn't normally the case that your records or CDs just randomly vanish overnight as if you had never owned them.

There has been a growing market in hi-res audio downloads, by which I mean better than CD's 16 bit 44k resolution, and those really are downloads which you keep. They're also expensive.

Apart from that, it's all a bit hit and miss. There's a website called Juno which is good for dance music:

I'm not really sure where else you buy these things. I'm normally only interested in hi-res digital or vinyl and I don't listen to much on a mobile or other device so I haven't really explored it much.

The next question is how you get the music onto the devices, which then leads to software like Media Monkey and Plex, i have a digital music library of about 65GB which is not actually that big in today's terms, and the whole thing will (nearly) fit on the SD card on my phone but I probably don't need every file accessible everywhere so for example MM provides the option to synchronise fixed playlists, artists, genres and/or everything you've played recently.

Brennan B2 maybe something you might like - I got one s/h a while a go.  Have been adding to CD collection over the years when they are a quid a pop or less at the car boot. Shove them in the B2 and they automatically ripped to FLAC format.  Not cheap but people used to spend thousands on both hifi and the media, are around £400.on Ebay at the moment, the hardware should last though and the main component (raspberry pi replaced for peanuts if that fails).

For FLAC playback in the car I use a Fiio X1 player. Got that cheap on Ebay, must be some other flac players about.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Bus Stop Boxer
3 hours ago, DTMark said:

2nd hand CDs are so cheap on ebay there is really no excuse for not buying, ripping, archiving, and keeping the disc for optimal home boffin stereo imaging wankery. Which is a somewhat forgotten pleasure these days.

"After The Gold Rush" led on the floor with the lights out.

Schweeeet.

I get a lift sometimes with a mate who has Spotify running on his car system.

Iron Maiden and Springsteen every single fucking time...... xD There's probably a cheaper way for him to listen to those 2 artistes on repeat ad nauseam.

Bizarre cos im the wannabe muso and the "music lover", and he's a brickie with narrow tastes, (nothing wrong with that) yet i've never considered a download service.

Ever.

• Agree 1

Bus Stop Boxer
1 hour ago, onlyme said:

Brennan B2 maybe something you might like - I got one s/h a while a go.  Have been adding to CD collection over the years when they are a quid a pop or less at the car boot. Shove them in the B2 and they automatically ripped to FLAC format.  Not cheap but people used to spend thousands on both hifi and the media, are around £400.on Ebay at the moment, the hardware should last though and the main component (raspberry pi replaced for peanuts if that fails).

For FLAC playback in the car I use a Fiio X1 player. Got that cheap on Ebay, must be some other flac players about.

I remember Brennans from the back of Private Eye.

Liked the look of em but was shocked to see them still selling for so much last time i checked.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I'm sure spygirl said he has one when I mentioned them a while back, but he's probably telling porkies.

There is now a cut down version starting at £179 called the BB1. The "BB" stands for Baby Brennan...

Nice, expected to see that it had been cobbled in some way - not being able to rip from a CD or not supporting FLAC.   If you can hook up a cheap external CD and upgrade the memory easily seems like a much cheaper equivalent to the B2 and does beg the question why the B2 is still so expensive? Maybe the DAC and audio out quality?

2 hours ago, onlyme said:

That looks like a great bit of kit. Bit expensive...but ...would solve the issue, and open up the cd collection to existing Sonos speakers . Although anything that could transfer them as FLAC files to my phone would do that I guess. 

14 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

The blurb does state somewhere that you can use an external cd to rip stuff. I have been looking at them as a potential Christmas present for myself and I'm the same as you, asking why is the B2 so expensive.

I have a Roberts internet radio in my mancave and this BB1 has a few more features at the same sort of price I paid for the radio. I don't mind a radio style device as I am not looking for a proper big speaker audio system in a back bedroom. I do a lot of my listening via headphones anyway...

XYY

Yes, was going to make the point at that price not much more than the early DAB radios either, a per of remote active speakers or a a bluetooth / leaded / powered speaker to add a bit more oomf pretty cheap nowadays. 

USB drive - £20 odd or £40 odd for one 6x as fast and high quality unit. 

https://www.brennan.co.uk/itemcontent.php/content/Ripping

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

That looks like a great bit of kit. Bit expensive...but ...would solve the issue, and open up the cd collection to existing Sonos speakers . Although anything that could transfer them as FLAC files to my phone would do that I guess. 

If enough space on say the 32GB for albums you want to be instantly available I think the BB1 and a £40 USB drive is a better deal.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I am also hoping that the BB1 has a better internet radio interface than the Roberts - which is a bit finicky. Not a show stopper if it doesn't - but a Brucie Bonus if it does...

XYY

I expected to see more reviews online.  Based on experience with the B2 I'd go for it. Not sure any radio device is going to be great for internet radio - could do all the searching with something like Radio Garden on phone to browse around and find stations of interest and then put those into a favourites list on the device. 

• Agree 1

Bus Stop Boxer
45 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

I think a new UK made version of the Brennan could be a goer?

They appear to be more expensive 2nd hand than they were new.

Suggesting there's a keen enough market.

I used to have one of these little buggers but it drove me mad running it once Sony dropped support.

sony ipod.jpg

Bus Stop Boxer
21 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I reckon the BB1 would complement my radio rather than replace it. The radio has DAB+ and FM, and it sounds very nice for a radio, and I'd still like to use it. I think I would feed the audio from the BB1 into the radio to take advantage of its streaming and music storage facilities and the ability to watch YouTube videos - but keep the sound that I like.

The radio also likes a DLNA server for the music collection - and at the moment that means me running DLNA software on a PC 24/7. The radio is fine with a USB stick, but that means every time I add songs to my collection, I also have to copy them to the stick. I believe the BB1 sending its audio to my radio will be a brilliant way to exploit the best capabilities of both.

I am also hoping that the BB1 has a better internet radio interface than the Roberts - which is a bit finicky. Not a show stopper if it doesn't - but a Brucie Bonus if it does...

XYY

I got a Bluetooth adapter for my 93i the other day. TEN QUID. Its now a great box for the kitchen.

• Agree 1

Android phone is how I do it. I buy CD's, rip them to FLAC and put them on the SD card in my phone.

For me though the volume drop shit that Android phones are forced to do in the EU makes them unusable as an audio player*. I bought an American phone ( I got it on ebay) so I wouldn't have to live with any of that shit. Another way to get rid of the volume drops is apparently to root the phone, but I don't know anything about that sort of stuff.

*One of my mates thought I was joking when I told him that that bollocks was the reason I voted to leave the EU. I wasn't. :)

Edit to add:

This is the app I use. It lets you select music by folder with none of that meta shit.

Screenshot_2020-12-13-18-51-35.png

Edited by SpectrumFX
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Bus Stop Boxer
18 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

PS: I assume you were talking about a Bluetooth receiver - that allows you to play audio from your Bluetooth-enabled device though the speakers of the radio via the line-in socket. That is what I bought off ebay when I got the radio.

But you can also buy a Bluetooth transmitter that fits to the USB socket for power, but the 3.5mm plug goes to the line-out or headphone socket of the radio. This allows you to connect your radio to Bluetooth headphones. 

I already had one of these that I bought - for about a tenner - to feed the audio output of whatever I was watching on my TV or projector to a pair of Bluetooth headphones. I gave up with that as I found the lag of Bluetooth audio caused me to notice lip-synch issues when I watched video. But using one of these for listening to the radio is fine.

Without a video to watch, Bluetooth audio lag is irrelevant...

XYY

Yeah, mine was a genuine Roberts BT receiver. Bought from Roberts, at that price was a no brainer.

You could plum the 93i in to an amp and speakers via 3.5mm and need for nowt really.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Uptherebels said:

I'm old fashioned, i get that. But I'm baffled by the following.

There are a few albums, that if you like, I would never want to be without. Now, maybe about 15 years ago, I had a Creative Zen 30 gig mP3 player, which I used to use a lot. I had, at the time, a boring 12 hour night shift job. I used to spend most of that listening to music. I had about 9 thousand songs on there. Back then, phones didn't really have the capacity. These days, they do. 

Not very often, but I still like to buy new albums. I'll happily buy a CD to play in the car. I do a lot of driving. I also used to buy digitally on google play music, which you could then listen to on the phone, without needing wifi or a phone signal. This has now been shut down, and whatever content you had in it, has been transferred to You Tube Music.

for youtube there are various ways to download easily.  I love youtube for all the random music I can discover - and the majority of the time it's not available on Spotify or anywhere else really.  Of course stuff gets removed off youtube too - I really should do some more downloading soon, finding all these gems etc.  Also I find the quality better on yt often compared to spotify.

I tried some command line stuff - basically copy and paste which worked fine but was nicer and less faff having some kind of interface to do for me.  I think the one I've used for a while is this...very simple but does the job.  Just add the url of the vid from yt or playlist and select output format ie video or audio etc and it downloads straight to whichever folder on your pc you'd like.

https://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/

• Informative 1

7 hours ago, Dogtania said:

for youtube there are various ways to download easily.  I love youtube for all the random music I can discover - and the majority of the time it's not available on Spotify or anywhere else really.  Of course stuff gets removed off youtube too - I really should do some more downloading soon, finding all these gems etc.  Also I find the quality better on yt often compared to spotify.

I tried some command line stuff - basically copy and paste which worked fine but was nicer and less faff having some kind of interface to do for me.  I think the one I've used for a while is this...very simple but does the job.  Just add the url of the vid from yt or playlist and select output format ie video or audio etc and it downloads straight to whichever folder on your pc you'd like.

https://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/

Is there something like this, that would work from a phone? There's a handful of live performances, I'd love the audio from.

3 hours ago, Uptherebels said:

Is there something like this, that would work from a phone? There's a handful of live performances, I'd love the audio from.

Sorry, I'm not sure.  The YouTube downloader thing works a treat for me on the PC, not sure about phone... Obviously if you have downloaded already onto pc then you can just transfer to your phone, I do.  It's just MP3, m4a or whatever format you select when downloading and then just a generic file like any other.

Edit - Just reread i do see you specifically mention just using Android phone... Honestly don't know if such thing exists wouldn't be surprised but sorry can't help 😕

Edited by Dogtania