DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Where to buy kitchen units online

InLikeFlynn

Question

InLikeFlynn

I'm replacing my old kitchen and am looking for some decent quality kitchen units and doors (Shaker style, unpainted or primed) at a fair price.

I'm doing pretty much all the work myself and I don't need anything terribly fancy, but want to avoid MDF etc.

Any hints?

Many thanks

12 answers to this question

InLikeFlynn
6 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Howdens are good, id get ready made as it saves a lot of ball ache and labour time.

Are you fitting yourself?

Thanks - I'll check them out. Hadn't realised you can buy them ready made and was expecting a hellish time with flatpack! I'm fitting them myself so I'm not sure how I can buy them: they don't seem to sell directly to the public or perhaps I've missed something.

Bobthebuilder

Units are all much the same

Just now, InLikeFlynn said:

Thanks - I'll check them out. Hadn't realised you can buy them ready made and was expecting a hellish time with flatpack! I'm fitting them myself so I'm not sure how I can buy them: they don't seem to sell directly to the public or perhaps I've missed something.

Just walk in to the showroom they will sell to you.

• Informative 1
InLikeFlynn

Great, thanks for the tip! There's a depot near me.

1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Units are all much the same

Just walk in to the showroom they will sell to you.

onlyme
15 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Howdens are good, id get ready made as it saves a lot of ball ache and labour time.

Are you fitting yourself?

Need an account to know someone who has one to get sensible pricing though.

B&Q / Wickes not too bad, just check what you are buying, last time Bought some B&Q they did two grades of base unit IIRC.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Bobthebuilder
28 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

I'm replacing my old kitchen and am looking for some decent quality kitchen units and doors (Shaker style, unpainted or primed) at a fair price.

I'm doing pretty much all the work myself and I don't need anything terribly fancy, but want to avoid MDF etc.

Any hints?

Many thanks

All the main suppliers use chipboard for the carcasses, doors vary but mainly MDF. If you want something like marine ply carcass you will be better off making them yourself, beware all the big names have different size doors so source the doors first if you make your own units. Some nice wooden doors available from Italy, Poland, Lithuania etc.

• Informative 1
Bobthebuilder

I will just say I was in the kitchen fitting game for years. In my own house I fitted Ikea units with oak doors (they don't sell them any more) and bought 4 meters by 750 mm by 40 mm solid oak blanks from the wooden worktop company. Used worktop to make the end panels total cost about a grand.

• Informative 1
nirvana

don't do what I did, buy half the units waiting for the rest to come into stock.....then after 6 months of their website saying 'in stock next week' they go and change the fecking dimensions of the units, fml :CryBaby:

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2
Green Devil
2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

All the main suppliers use chipboard for the carcasses, doors vary but mainly MDF. If you want something like marine ply carcass you will be better off making them yourself, beware all the big names have different size doors so source the doors first if you make your own units. Some nice wooden doors available from Italy, Poland, Lithuania etc.

Wouldn't worry about mdf or chipboard. The tech has moved on, the glues are good now and the edges seal well, and shouldn't delaminate. I'd avoid the really cheap stuff though, get what you pay for. OP, pop into howdens and touchy feel the doors, lots to choose from. Counter tops vary a lot now with diff widths. Thinner stuff looks more fashionable but is liable to bend or warp if not fitted correctly and immediately. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Bobthebuilder
36 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Wouldn't worry about mdf or chipboard. The tech has moved on, the glues are good now and the edges seal well, and shouldn't delaminate. I'd avoid the really cheap stuff though, get what you pay for. OP, pop into howdens and touchy feel the doors, lots to choose from. Counter tops vary a lot now with diff widths. Thinner stuff looks more fashionable but is liable to bend or warp if not fitted correctly and immediately. 

I would agree that Howdens is probably the best option if you can get the full 70% discount. (you need someone who buys a lot of gear from them to get that). They are well-made, solid and the plan lists everything you need for each unit, left hand R/H doors etc.

I fitted a Wren kitchen a few weeks ago for a mate, awful to fit, would never do another one again, looks nice and flash, but they just supply the basic materials, and you have to custom make all the nice touches yourself.

• Informative 2
InLikeFlynn

Many thanks for all the contributions so far - really useful information. please keep it coming as it will be useful not just to me but also to others in the same boat.

• Agree 1