• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Oskar

Yank statue smashing fad spreads to Blighty

The comments are interesting, even the Guardianistas are getting fucked off....

"I believe the Pyramids of Giza were built by slave labour, and now (no doubt) stand defiantly, like a series of middle fingers to those that would oppose the concept slavery.....I look forward to your article calling for them to be torn down also.....#Everythinginhistoryevermustfall"

" My ancestors were almost certainly victimised by Vikings, Romans, Normans etc etc. Luckily i've got over it"

etc

Statues aren't generally made for people just because they are good people particularly, more for a notable achievement. Rhodes was given a statue at Cape town university, for the endowments he gave them, not for establishing a diamond monopoly. Nelson was given a statue for destroying the French/Spanish fleet at Trafalgar not for being a universally fantastic bloke. Statues are made to celebrate a specific achievement, not as an endorsement of character generally. 

Edited by Hail the Tripod

I love the repeated use of "we", "our" and the setting out of what "we" believe.  Followed up by "the British" and "they".  So she's British when she wants to be and then not and then British again.

Britain has committed unquantifiable acts of cultural terrorism – tearing down statues and palaces, and erasing the historical memory of other great civilisations during an imperial era whose supposed greatness we are now, so ironically, very precious about preserving intact.

And we knew what we were doing at the time. One detail that has always struck me is how, when the British destroyed the centuries-old Summer Palace in Beijing in 1860 and gave a little dog they’d stolen as a gift to Queen Victoria, she humorously named it “Looty”. This is one of the long list of things we are content to forget while sucking on the opium of “historical integrity” we claim our colonial statues represent.

We have “moved on” from this era no more than the US has from its slavery and segregationist past. The difference is that America is now in the midst of frenzied debate on what to do about it, whereas Britain – in our inertia, arrogance and intellectual laziness – is not.

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I love the repeated use of "we", "our" and the setting out of what "we" believe.  Followed up by "the British" and "they".  So she's British when she wants to be and then not and then British again.

I didn't notice that, it does speak volumes.

Two hours after that hate piece was posted and after numerous critical comments we have this

2 3

Thank you for your contributions, comments will close shortly.

The Guardian staff don't like it up'em ;)

Edited by JackieO

8 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Two hours after that hate piece was posted and after numerous critical comments we have this

2 3

Thank you for your contributions, comments will close shortly.

The Guardian staff don't like it up'em ;)

They may have realised the older readers, the ones who pay subs, won't like destroying landmarks to appease s couple of youngsters feelings.

My favourite is when they have "opened the comments in error" that you occasionally see when the comments section quickly descends into a flame war.

The Guardian was a big fan of eugenics, maybe the sjw's of today should demand it be closed down

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/17/eugenics-skeleton-rattles-loudest-closet-left

I'm afraid even the Manchester Guardian was not immune. When a parliamentary report in 1934 backed voluntary sterilisation of the unfit, a Guardian editorial offered warm support, endorsing the sterilisation campaign "the eugenists soundly urge". If it's any comfort, the New Statesman was in the same 

People are getting worked up over statues and wars hundreds of years ago - when they don't see the next one coming over the horizon.

Burn all the books and tear down the museums just to be sure?

Edited by 201p

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=Afua+Hirsch&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Afua Hirsch (born 12 June 1981) is a writer, broadcaster, barrister and human rights development worker of Ghanaian, English and Jewish heritage

I'd like to know why it's not possible to celebrate the good parts of the UK's historical icons yet condemn their bad parts and still retain the statue - then people could still visit the statue to maybe think about both parts.  That would also help people to understand the UK's past a bit better.  Maybe better education would be better than destroying statues. 

It seems very Taliban to be demolishing historical memorials and monuments - when the Taliban does it they call it worse than vandalism.  I'm sure that the people those monuments represented weren't perfect.  The Taliban probably has links to ISIS/the Mujahideen a group that the UK is officially at war with - demolishing historical statues of the UK would just be doing their work.

Edited by twocents

Well I for one am going to go about my daily life questioning if my actions are living up to the standards of the 23rd century.

Fucking retards

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes.  It seems that Britain and British is the past and was in the wrong.  We is something different.

There's not even a mention in the article of the British people having a vote on it - just knock it down on the say so of one journalist writing in the guardian.

Edited by twocents

What does she have to say about Napoleon - there are plenty of memorials in France to occupy the demolishers for years.  If they get a move on I might even have a cheap one as I've enjoyed visiting places where he's remembered mainly for his battles and for being in charge of France for a while - despite him fighting Britain as to be fair he's pretty harmless now.

Edited by twocents

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

What about smashing the Pyramids, as reminders of a previous regime, or rearranging Stonehenge for better Feng Shui.?

Stonehenge will be nice when it is finished

Edited by Flirtygirty

Get rid off all straight roads as they resemble Roman roads.

Get rid of all humans off the planet as all humans are bad.

More hate than the daily hate. There must be money in selling hate. Hate everything, and everyone.